[Suggestion] A better Artillery idea...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pat22, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Pat22

... as well as an addition to the Construction System and a Light Assault tool, all in one!

Now, I highly doubt that this thread will be read by someone at Daybreak, approved by the people of forumside and somehow actually made into the game, so this is really just food for thought here.

This is how you properly suggest to add a big game-changing element like Artillery;

1- Don`t give it to the Engineer that already has a million toys to play with. The Ligh Assault, on the other hand, has been in need of a tool since the birth of the game itself. Now I`m not suggesting we actually give artillery pieces to the LA. I`m suggesting we give the Target Designator to the LA so he can fire the Artillery.

The Artillery itself would be implemented as part of the Construction system, with requirements and limitations to balance it out. Like any other Construction item, any class would be able to build it, though only the Light Assault would be able to fire it.
    Once built, the Artillery would count for your whole squad, meaning a Light Assault could fire artillery placed by anyone in his squad.

So where`s the limiting factor that stops a squad from placing down 12 artillery guns and shelling a base into oblivion? It's the Silo and Cortium cost.
    I suggest that a single Silo only be able to support a single artillery piece at a time, and artillery has a cortium cost, varying upon the type of artillery gun used but at and above the 1000 cort mark. 2-minute-ish cooldown to the Artillery and voila.

Suddenly, Artillery isn't just a dumb turret your engineer can place down anywhere and abuse. It's a team play element, it has a usage cost and needs maintenance. It can only be placed near an active Silo and can't be spammed. It is a fixed position, giving an advantage to those who have it but also making itself a big target.

Organized squads will benefit from having good bases and artillery positioning and good Light Assaults to properly target it onto the enemy.

---------------

All that being said, and I hope it was clear, ima spew out ideas for actually artillery variations that could be implemented.

- Default Artillery Cannon: This cannon fires a large volley of explosive shells over a large area. Think Duster but with half the damage and a longer duration, and larger CoF. Its main purpose would be to disrupt infantry field pushes, or suppress defenders in a base momentarily to allow attackers to advance.

- Targetted Missile Launcher: I'm not sure how this would work with the LA's Designator but basically it's a big, strong, slow lock-on missile that locks onto air and vehicles. Mostly it'd be used to target Galaxies and Liberators.

- Orbital Strike: You build the targetting aray next to a silo which transmits coordinates to the orbital weapons platform, allowing a variation of PS1's orbital strike to be brought down. SMALL area of effect, high damage, has a big warning symbol on the minimap displayed for a few seconds before it hits.

ES ARTILLERY

NC: Rail Gun. A massive, single-shot weapon, raised on a tower. Requires direct LoS with target but deals massive damage with a small AoE.

TR: Missile Array: Fires a massive volley of missiles in the general direction of the targeted area. The missiles travel in an arc and do not require LoS. In addition, they can be guided with the Designator.

VS: I know Daybreak doesn't want to add Beam weapons in the game because they would require a whole new code to function but since I said I was just posting this for fun; Energy Beam Emitter: This weapon, also raised on a tower, functions similar to the NC's Rail Gun. However, rather than doing a single, high-damage shot, it creates a sustained beam that deals massive damage over time to targets caught in it. The beam can be sustained for a short time before the weapon overheats and goes into cooldown, and can be guided with the designator while it is active.
  2. BlizardX

interesting idea