800 damage Bolt Actions have damage drop off....WTF

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ArcKnight, May 7, 2013.

1. ArcKnight

2. anaverageguy

I do hope you're not saying that you're doing that one the same person or people from a particular outfit. I so far haven't had any such troubles, so [for now] I wouldn't rule out foul play..

Edit: I take it you still are talking about close range? If it's long range... that's different.
  3. Skippytjc

100% of all head shots from a bolt action sniper rifle should be kill shots except MAX's. Its already not like that, if they reduce it further ill quit the game over it. I play sniper 90% of the time and this would be the final straw.

I use a slow gun and wear footy pajamas as protection. My stealth makes a sound that can be heard for 30 yards and only last a few seconds. The only redeeming quality is the fact that I can drop dumb people standing still with one shot, change that and Im out.
  4. The King

Different people, different ranges, all headshots, nothing..
    It's worthless and not fun.
  5. Vaphell

you are very generous. Maybe it's like that in the biggest of battles, but it's proven that with headphones you can easily pick up the sound 100m away, not to mention ease of echolocating inf spamming his cloak.
    • Up x 1
  6. anaverageguy

Sorry to hear that. I'll keep sniping for the time I play, but since yesterday, no one's survived the headshots I've landed (I know they were headshots because the game told me so, and because if they aren't, only a small chip of their health disappears, which is normal..), so I'm guessing nanoweave isn't as widespread on Helios. This must be why my sniping hasn't been as affected.
  7. Kupcake

You only survive headshots with nano.

The vast majority of people run flak instead.

If there is really a bug making nano give more health than it should (which it looks like there is if these posts are true), and everyone is running nano on your server, then I do feel bad for you.

People might hate this suggestion, but what if we just changed how sniping works altogether? As in, take away the frustration for both parties:

Remove scope sway while crouching as inf. Remove damage falloff. Increase bolt ammo capacity to 8/80. But make headshots deal only 895 damage and body shots deal 650 damage. Up close, you could still drop somebody with body shot + 1 pop from the 44. At range, you could _almost_ one-shot people. Two would definitely kill them, even with body shots. It would be more about consistent accuracy.
  8. The King

even the biggest of battles, you can hear those loud noises. Which I'm sure you know. ;)

30 yards is quite low, maybe he is using monitor speakers or something with onboard sound..:confused:
  9. Vaphell

doesn't matter who runs with what. Balancing a class of weapons around the mood swings of playerbase is not the way to go. Any shift in metagame encouraging mass migration to NW makes sniper rifles become pure garbage.
  10. Grotpar

Bears don't eat people.

They might maul you, though.
    • Up x 1
  11. m44v

well, is the same bug that is screwing long range sniping.
  12. Keiichi25

Actually, people were not reliably two shotting people with the bolt rifle in PS1... They were either Killstolen someone else's work or they popped the more 'idle' people.

Another thing to note, the farthest Sniper shot was achieved at 1.25 Kilometers, that is well past 100m. While that is in RL, the simple fact is, that Snipers are used to pick off people, preferably support types or command. Sniping in this game is still a little on this level of just picking off people when they can, but obviously would not be the mainstay of combat, as it does require patience.
  13. Kupcake

On a different note, doesn't this make NW incredibly valuable for snipers themselves?

In my (admittedly briefly) experience maining as a sniper, the thing which you most often die to in large battles is enemy sniper fire, even when you're playing aggressively. If NW5 is truly 50% more health, that would mean infs would have 1150 effective health. Given that bolts have 550 min damage and a 2x HS multiplier, you'd survive headshots at max range. In fact, let me calculate this real quick. Wow. From 68 meters and above, even NW5 infs can't be one-shotted with a HS.

That's super useful, isn't it? All you would need is Nano 5 and medkits, and you'd be tons harder to kill. Any time you get popped, just take cover and heal.
  14. Vaphell

i recall seeing NSFW photo of a corpse with no meat left on his thigh because some bear felt like eating it.

valuable yes, incredibly no way. Maybe in cqc you can take 1 more bullet where you are ****-outta-luck anyway. No sniper worth his salt dies to sniper fire regularly. You simply know what makes you dead and simply don't do it. Being denied dozens of kills daily? That translates to measurable cert gain that is not there which stinks hard.
  15. Xind

Many of the respondents in this forum are not interested in picking people off that are wounded. They want to be able to OHK their targets, regardless of armor taken, at any distance. Nothing about that seems remotely reasonable to me. While I would be fine with making it require Nano 5 to limit Headshotting, there is no limit to how many snipers there are on the field and two snipers working in tandem can body shot down targets with no reaction time without needing to bother with the head. But none of these people want to work as a team.

I thought the longest RL sniper shot was beyond that, also? Like 1.6 or so?
    • Up x 1
  16. Vaphell

• Up x 1
  17. Keiichi25

You misunderstood my point. In Planetside 1, The Bolt Driver, being the main Sniper rifle, was never 'reliable' in two shotting people in general. The people who got two shotted by one person were generally the ones who lingered too long instead of ducking for cover. The rest were generally the 1 hit kills because said soldier was wounded, or an infiltrator.

In this game, people would be trying for the OHK, yes, but also pot shotting people they can as well.

Also, in Planetside 1, there was no 'definition' for hitboxes until BFRs were introduced, and it was ONLY on the BFR was there an actual hit box definition. Infantry in Planetside all had a uniformed Hitbox, so it didn't matter if you hit the head or not, because the hitbox all counted as one and was designed that way.

And it looks like I read the wrong entry here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

Craig Harrison sniped a target at 2,475 m, approximately 2.5km out. The game's viewing range is about 1/8th that for infantry, even with the high mag scope.
  18. Xind

Yeah, that's the guy. Nifty shot.

I prefer PS1s lack of hitbox definition for Infantry. It made the game more unique as far as I was concerned. I get what you're saying about OHKing people, but I have sat on the ridge and watched my allies repeatedly 2 shot guys. Once that gets them running like a headless chicken and then twice to put them out of their misery. It did always make me laugh that they could OHK infs, though.

So, it doesn't seem like you have a dynamic objection with Bolt actions requiring two hits to kill the target? That's for the most part what I've been trying to express in this thread as both acceptable and more skillful than OHKing.
  19. Krayus_Korianis

20. Keiichi25

I was used to 2 shot kill sniper rifles since Tribes and Planetside. While I also was used to the 1 shot kill rifles in Delta Force and other games, the thing is, the Delta Force Sniping was designed to actually take time to tweak your rifle, but also had RANGE FINDING so you could adjust and make a skill out of sniping.

This game has so much spam firing going on and the short TTKs, it just favors the stupid chinese fire drill playing versus anything else. Even with the planetside hellish fire at times, and I did use Thumper spamming to try and break up defenses, the thing I see here is just f the being smart fighter now, just run around spamming fire. And the smarter play is to sit in vehicles spamming HE or HEAT to f up infantry and push the need for more use of aimbots because of headshot criticals. The game wants more 'skilled' players being adrenaline rushers than 'smarter combat' with tools that are as simplistic as clubs and spear type thinking.
    • Up x 1