64 Bit ruins my FPS

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Xoda1609, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Xoda1609

Since patch (2nd April 2014) I have dropped form a steady 40-60 fps to 20fps GPU bouns... why? the 32 bit was fine and now with 64 bit (my pc is 64bit os) it is unplayable... any help? thanks.
    • Up x 1
  2. anngus00

I have the same problem, on x32 i had around 60-80, and now on x64 i have 10-15 fps on my laptop.
    Game is pretty unplayable right now :( please halp!
  3. LordMatt XLVIII

I'm sure there's a way to go back to x32.
  4. user101

I sort of thought this might happen with you laptop people. I even posted this in the test server section about x64 I wanted a switch in the launcher to pick what version you wanted to run. Laptops are not going to run x64 well in most cases.
  5. Stigma

There is bound to be a way to force the client to run x86. After all it seems to have both modes still. We haven't gone x64 exclusive yet at least, and PCs that aren't x64 capable will automatically run x86, so surely there is a way to simply toggle this.

How to do that on the other hand is another matter... some config file somewhere, or having to run the launcher with a commandline parameter or something but... surely a customersupport guy can just answer us on this as it seems to be ehavily requested already just so shortly after the patch.

I dont doubt that x64 is a good move for the long term, but for the transitionary period while they iron out the bugs id like to go back to the old system to try to troubleshoot isses with the new patch.

-Stigma
  6. Kershwyn

I have the same problem. I get 10 FPS even in small fights, before the patch it was fine. I remember having the same issue on the PTS a few weeks ago.
  7. user101

Remember that SOE is only going to support x86 for a year then it's all x64... not good for laptops. 1 year from now x86 will be gone.
  8. Stigma

In a year I'd assume these sorts of baby-problems with the 64bit version are gone (well, lol, one can hope at least). As I said I mainly want to have the option to troubleshoot problems by going back to the x86 version and see if certain problems I experience are x64 related specifically, or just a general problem with the newest patch.

-Stigma
  9. Casimir

Yeah playing from a laptop with x64, there is no excuse for this drop in performance however. SOE sort your game out.
    • Up x 1
  10. F4llenX

playing from a x64laptop aswell, and i can even get 10fps (it was fine before), why am i paying to not be able to play it propertly anymore?
  11. JustBones

x64 laptop here too. i7-3610QM @ 2.3GHz, 6GB RAM, and Nvidia 650M. My FPS has dropped from ~60 to ~15 since the new patch.

Can someone explain why this issue should only affect laptops and not desktops of equivalent spec?
  12. LucasPiazon

x64 laptop here too. Just give SOE some time, they'll fix it i have no doubt. Also, has anyone tried launching PlanetSide2_x86.exe from the games directory?
  13. DidYouKnowYouAreDead

x64 laptop. Had some serious problems with FPS before the update (7fps, normally 30), but the update seemed to fix this.
  14. ohmikkie

Mine does (but that's not being helpful). Why would you think laptops would be impaired especially. I notice a massive improvement on the test server when the client got upgraded especially on Hossin. I was getting 40fps on an empty Hossin before now I get 50-70fps.
  15. Gammit

This happened to me on PTS (60 fps to 30 fps), and I was/am not running on a laptop.
  16. BrutalDLX

Laptop here too, what changed for me is massive frame rate spikes from 100-60-100-70-90etc...causing consistent hitching, I enabled smoothing and on medium to high settings struggling to get to 50fps and much much lower in battles.

SLI 750's, 8Gig ram, quad i7 4700MQs. Before the patch I was fine without smoothing with average frame rates above 70 with no hitching.

I know this is a knee jerk reaction the day of the patch but I can't continue to give money to SOE for a much less playable game.
  17. user101

Well it has to do with the intel hardware and how it handles x64 laptop use a somewhat different design to reduce power consumption this it not true for desktop pc, the CPU is different in design - yes they both do the same thing but they handle the processing in a different way as I understand this from intel reading there specs.

Xeon processor are true x64 in there hardware design of the IO. This is not always true in some of the lower end processor from intel. Yes they handle x64 but it takes 2 swipes to do the number crunching in laptops as I understand it. Maybe some of the newer designs do away with this since everything is now x64. I have not looked at any of intels new stuff in the last year to understand the new hardware. Other than they are fudging the CPU power by heat.
  18. laziffer

I have the same Problem. Since the Update down to 20 FPS from 40 FPS before the Update.
  19. Teoke

I'm on a laptop too.

i7 4700MQ
    GTX 765M
    8GB RAM

I've gone from having 70FPS in Warpgate to having 10FPS on the same settings I had prior to the patch
  20. laziffer

for me nvidia optimus was the problem. because the new .exe file "PlanetSide2_x64.exe" was not recognized by the nvidia driver, the driver used the intel hd graphic card instead of the nvidia card. After i changed this in the driver settings game runs fine again
    • Up x 1