32 or 64 bit

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Biddion, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Biddion

I am running Planetside 2 on 64 bit Windows 7, 8GBs of RAM and Intel Core i5 CPU 750@2.67GHz with three cores unparked. My graphics card is a GeForce 9600 GT. I play at 1920x1080 resolution. This system is a hand-me-down.

The past year I have ran Planetside relatively well, turning all gpu and cpu dependent processes down as low as possible, with the exception of graphics setting (Got to be able to see enemy infs). Before optimization I stayed at a steady 25-35 FPS, however since "Operation Make Frames Better" I have indeed seen better FPS when not in action (up to 45 FPS), however in bigger fights my FPS drops down to 15. Anything under 30 FPS is unplayable to me as movement gets to choppy. Also, ever since the 64 bit client has come out, I have noticed my frames occasionally drop in medium battles of 24 vs 24. At these moments the game displays cpu as the limiting factor, whereas it is usually gpu holding my frames down out of big fights.

I know very little about hardware and the way it works. My questions are would reverting back to 32 bit OS make a difference in frames? Is it possible to run 32 bit client on a 64 bit OS (not VM)? Will Lassie ever get Timmy out of the well? Is 64 bit the culprit for lesser performance or is it a red herring?

P.S. Telling me to upgrade is out of the question and not helpful. I looked into getting a new graphics card and processor and anything at the price I am willing to pay is about even with what I already have.
  2. Utrooperx

3. Irathi

Yes running 32 bit on 64 bit is possible. PS2 has been running 32 bit almost since release and just recently switched to 64 bit. Which to be honest has so far been an unstable experience. More fps, more crash.

I don't know how you can force it to run 32 bit, but perhaps there is two different exe files and you could manually click the 32 bit?

64 bit should be the better one, so reverting back to 32 bit would only help if the 64 bit is buggy (which it is). Alternatively just wait it out and see if it gets better when the new patches are released.

Updating drivers / overclocking would also help.
  4. Irathi

5. Foxirus

I run 64 bit Windows 7, But how do you know which one you are running if you go through the Launcher?
  6. Utrooperx

Hit ALT+TAB, then open Task Manager...it will say there.
  7. Ghelyar

32 bit executables can run under 64 bit windows through WOW64. However, there is a small performance penalty for doing this and even if there wasn't, you should see a performance gain when running a 64 bit executable anyway. If you aren't, it's just down to bugs. Ideally, you should run x64 and SOE should just fix those bugs.

For a quicker shortcut, ctrl+shift+escape opens the task manager directly.

Alt+tab just switches between windows, at which point you would need to do something like right click on the task bar and click task manager, run taskmgr.exe, ctrl+alt+del and select task manager or just ctrl+shift+escape anyway.

From the look of the batch file, I wouldn't put too much faith in that thread. For example the pings to localhost are actually just X second pauses and the for loop at the end copies Planetside2_x86.exe over Planetside2.exe 20 times, with a 2 second delay each time.

The important thing is just that the "x86" executable is the 32 bit binary. You can just wait for PS2 to finish updating and then rename it before clicking play in the launcher if you really want to. This is what the reddit thread that he is basing it on actually does. If you really wanted you could just write a 1 line batch file in the ps2 installation directory that only contains
    Code:
    copy /y Planetside2_x86.exe Planetside2.exe
    then make a shortcut to that batch file wherever you want to. Wait for the launcher to finish updating, run the batch file, then press play.

The rest of the problems described in that thread are just to do with 32 bit binaries hooking into 64 bit processes e.g. 32 bit mumble can't hook into 64 bit planetside. 64 bit executables also cannot load 32 bit dlls.