(32-bit OS Users) Work Around for constant crashing after 5-30 minutes of play

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by JojoTheSlayer, Nov 24, 2012.

1. JojoTheSlayer

Playing PS2 isnt the end all be all for me...
    I own all versions of Vista in 32 and 64bits so its not like I do not have access to a 64bit OS, but I have a zillion of settings and programs I would have needed to transfer over to a new OS.

5min tweaking fix > Several hours of installing and re-configuring everything else just for one game.

You dont need 32bit right now. There are only a few games in the future that will need 64bits, but PS2 isnt supposed to be one of them. There really isnt a good reason why I should upgrade to 64bit at this time instead of just waiting until I need to do the "transfer job" on my next computer anyway in 2013 at some point.

That said the trick isnt silly. You increase ram for programs and decrease ram for Kernel. On a 4gigs system thats 3gigs access for programs and 800mb for Kernel (Total useable ram in 32bit is about 3,3gigs). My Kernel only uses about 250 of that anyway... A decent page file size on the side to enable the OS to offload everything of background stuff it can just makes sense to me overall. Regardless of PS2.
  2. Zlatansan

I have to thank you! I followed your link and in the end i found somethin which solved my problem:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-size-is/20678d04-6556-41d3-98c9-66655b5da2b2
    I had to rename the old pagefile so automatically a new one was made and now it seems to be all good :)
    • Up x 1
  3. Flachzang

Method A worked for me! Thank you! :)

You can really notice when the game normally crashed without the additional RAM in form of short but really heavy lags (only 2 - 4 seconds, but in a FPS-game very frustrating). Unfortunately those lags occure more often after some time playin. At least the game doesn't crash anymore and when I restart the game, everything is fine until the lags come up more often again. Don't misunderstand me, the game runs fine between the lags so i guess it's not a hardware problem.

Just another question which content's maybe too less to open a new thread:
    I'd like to switch from steam-version of the game to its standalone. Is there any possibility to transfer my character into the new game?
  4. mindbomb

Without a 64 bit OS, you can't run 64 bit applications. You can't make use of more than 4 gigs of ram. Applications can't use more than 2-3 gigs. You frequently lose performance from having to use slower 32 bit versions of things, if available.
    I suggest you spend the hours and install the 64 bit OS.
  5. JojoTheSlayer

- I dont have any 64bits applications I need to run.
    - No program I have used so far, apart from issues in PS2, needs more than 2gigs ram access.
    - The performance gain on Vista SP2 32bit vs a 64bit version isnt that big tbh. Maybe you get a few fps at most.

You are way over estimating the need for a 64bit OS at this time.
    64bit OS wont be standard for at least 1-3 more years. Most games will still be 32bit with a few exceptions.

If you are buying a new computer today. Yeah, sure, go 64bit to be future oriented, but lets not act like its a necessity.
  6. mindbomb

see, but the longer you stay with your 32 bit OS, the harder it will be to transition in the future because you will have to reinstall even more programs. when ppl install the wrong OS version cause they had both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions, I tell them to install the 64 bit one immediately.

I would assume you would be a little more forward thinking, given that you own a core i7, and it doesn't sound like any applications you have can use 8 threads well, but you were willing to actually pay money for that ability.
  7. JojoTheSlayer

My i7 is 3+ years old. My OS install is 3+ years old.
    Of course I will go Win 7 64 Ultimate (planing to go 32gigs ram unless prices explode) on my next tower.
    But upgrading OS on my current system is just a waste of time, all things considered.

The main thing is. I dont need it. Nether will I mostly on my next tower ether. Just to put the issue into perspective.
  8. MorganM

Got a new computer running Win7 64bit and 8 GB RAM. No more crashing! Played for many hours straight.

Game runs very well on:
    Dell Studio 540
    Win7 64bit
    Intel Core 2 Quad
    8GB RAM
    Radeon HD 7750
    7500 RPM SATA HDD

Loads much faster and plays WAY more smooth than my other box which is:
    Vista 32bit
    AMD Phenom Quad
    3GB RAM
    Radeon HD 7750
    5000 RPM SATA HDD

Still crashes all the time on my Vista 32bit computer. I'll be upgrading this one soon! More RAM and win7 64bit should resolve the crashing issues. I'm betting if I play with the rendering and other performance options I can get a more smooth game-play experience as well on that box.
  9. Norjen

Tried everything, A B & C in the OP. Now I crashed after 20 seconds flying in a Reaver, and the game opens up a browser page with the error G19 - out of memory. I'm running XP Pro 32bit with nVidia 8800GT and 4Gb RAM. Before I could play ~1 hour before crashing.

The instructions on enabling the /3Gb switch didn't go into detail like where exactly do you insert the switch etc, so I looked it up myself and ended up with this in my boot.ini:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /3GB /fastdetect

What did I do wrong?
  10. MorganM

Fix in the original post fixed me up good! This is on my ... not as fast... box where I only have 6GB RAM and 32bit Vista still. All I did was apply the 3GB max option. I didn't need to increase my page file. Really only have to do that if you anticipate needing the extra space. Personally I close as many programs as I can before I play any games so the system not only doesn't need so much swap space but ANY time a system starts swapping data from RAM to Disk performance tanks completely so really it's in your best interest to just manage your resources more effectively.
  11. MorganM

So you have no idea what you are doing and edited your boot.ini file? Very bad idea.

Best try to revert that INI file back to what it was and undo any other changes you made.

Then do more research to better understand what it is you are actually doing... not just randomly trying stuff you find on the internet.
  12. Norjen

Actually, I know full well what I'm doing, and I did my research on the subject. Instructions I followed were for this exact purpose, not any random stuff I stumbled upon. I made the post to ask for help because it didn't work.

I just added a line to the ini-file so I can choose to boot up either normally or with the /3gb switch. I'm not a blithering idiot, thank you.
  13. B-Boy

Im afraid this is not true. Many of us are having the same random crashes every 5 - 20 mins on 64 bit windows. Im currently on Win 7 64 bit, 16 gig ram, Geforce 680 and I'm suffering like a lot of others.
    I've tried all the fixes mentioned to no avail. Every 10 mins on average the game will crash to desktop.
    Just wanted to mention this to avoid any future upset if people do upgrade to 64 bit windows and stick 16 gig of ram in.
  14. Cedj

Yup, same. Win7/64bit. 10-15 mins online and crash to desktop. Started yesterday.
    Whatever changed was on their side, other than browsing youtube for a few minutes I've done nothing on my PC since the day before when PS2 worked fine.
  15. Turiel =RL=

Late in Beta and around release the game was more or less stable at around 1.4-1.5 gig memory use. Now when I crash, I can see 1.8-1.9 gig in my task bar. I do have the "switch" enabled to use software bigger than 2 gig, but it still gets critical around this size.

There is a definite memory leak in this game right now and FPS do drop over time. I start out around 75 in the warpgate and after playing for a few hours I only get 45 in the warpgate (and 25 in combat). The worst areas are Amp Stations for me. Also the rendering distance cut on infantry causes screen freezes for me they ALL appear at once out of nothing if I get too close. This more or less makes planes unusable for me.
  16. Electrofreak

I
    I actually tried using the 3GB switch back in early Beta (I'm a network tech and former sys admin) and experienced the same issue. My Radeon 5770 suddenly no longer had sufficient memory.

Honestly, I didn't mess with it much beyond tweaking the value a little lower or higher using /userva to no effect. There's a reason I went from providing OS / AD support to WAN networking, I hate fiddling with that kind of crap. I killed the 3GB switch and I've just been dealing with crashes every hour or so. One of these days I'll get around to upgrading the gaming rig... my money nowadays tends to go into Cisco gear and the like.
  17. Khadgars

Just a heads up, I used the first step and it worked for me. Using 32 bit Win 7 4 gb Ram. Thanks! This needs to get out to more people until they find a perm fix.
  18. BenYeeHua

Yup, everyone getting it fixed/ease by setting that.
  19. SexmaniacVS

mine got accessed denied,how should i do it ??
  20. Brainwayne

maybe "unawave" would be your friend... google "unawave" and follow the 4GB tutorial (Also works with more GB)