30 scythes in 4 days

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RAS, Nov 29, 2012.

1. JoCool

There is a reason why this is happening. It is neither the netcode nor anything on your part nor is it people being too stupid to fly.

The reason is found in the limited field of view (FOV) for vehicles. If you increase your FOV from 54, it does not increase the FOV for vehicles, because that would zoom out from the 3D cockpit model so that the displays could not be properly read anymore. Now this creates a heap of problems: People usually look at their monitor and perceive items / characters / moving units like in reality. This also means that if they plan to move their vehicle into another vector (direction) they usually know that something is there or that the way is free - because of the eyes' peripheral vision. In a lower-than-natural Field of View, this "spotting" is not available.

For the first example, if the user sits close to the monitor, he will then receive the actual game's focus as part of his natural FOV, which leads to a wrongly perceived analysis of the user's surroundings - he will simply not realize that this one aircraft in the side of his screen will hit his own aircraft and actually NOT turn away. He perceived the cut displayed at the sides of his monitor to be part of his periphal vision and with a 16:9 screen probably perceive the borders at 60° to 70° from him - while what is really shown ingame are at around 48° to each side.

For the second example, if the user sits further away from his monitor, he will then receive the same actual focus as part of his natural FOV, and his unconcious peripheral vision will end beside the monitor - at the walls, the desk, maybe his speakers - basically stuff next to his monitor. This will lead to him actively avoiding collisions with aircraft he actually spots on the screen - but the feeling of being very limited in his field of view.

Both examples lead to the lack of overview, the lack of perception, the lack of knowing what is going on around your aircraft. People try to work around by flying in 3rd person, which actually increases the degrees of the surroundings you can see. The fix to this is to let people see more by fixing the field of view to a proper value while adapting the cockpit graphics. This will not be an easy one, if the cockpit graphics shall be kept readable, and is probably the reason they have not done it yet.

TL;DR
    It is connected to the in-cockpit limited field of view and thus the lack of things the user/pilot can spot around him. Argument, explanation and examples above.
  2. Jourmand1r

I've never flown into a friendly plane. I must be a super hero.
  3. Lambchopz

You can also kill them yourself if you're not patient enough for this suggestion, but either way counter-griefing griefers is incredibly easy in PS2 if you're so inclined. Just make sure you don't get yourself in trouble as well.

More on-topic, I don't understand what you think SoE can do about stupid/bad pilots. It's just a fact of life in online gaming, no amount of development resources can fix it. In fact, trying too hard to do so can easily have a negative impact on the rest of the game (this is in regards to gaming in general).

Learn to get over it, and learn to avoid it, or don't fly. It's really that simple. Not trying to sound elitist or anything here (I'm certainly no ace pilot, just enjoying the hell out of dogfighting so far) but it's just a reality of the game.

They really do need to do something about AA as well, but that's talked about all over the place elsewhere. It would certainly thin out a lot of the worst pilots.

EDIT: I would definitely love some FOV changing support either way, and one other thing to keep in mind is that you can free-look inside air-craft in 1st person, although that's certainly not going to save you a lot of the time.
  4. Marinealver

I will say this, we could use a longer deconstruction timer.
  5. AlesTwo

So far the only one who rammed me was an NC pilot when I was in a Galaxy... hat to turn on the wiper to get his garbage off my front screen. Other than that I was squished by a Gal once when refilling, but if you ever piloted a Gal, you know that landing is just praying and pressing the down button.
  6. CoreDave

I fly a lot and there has been the odd mid-air collision and landing pad incidents but its hardly a major issue, maybe flying folks are better on my server or maybe I'm more cautious than you (I always take extra care on approach to and departure from a landingpad).

Of course I would love to have a higher FoV but mainly because its frustrating dogfighting when your field of view is so restricted.
  7. RAS

This comment here is why the human race fails at common sense , please do me a favour step away from the pc it has electric in it i don't want you having an accident .....
  8. water fowl

There are a lot of people who are new, especially cuz it's free to play. You just gotta live with it for now. Be more cautious. There's nothing SOE can do really, that would make sense. Even reducing the timer due to a FF kill would be exploited.
  9. Zaik

It's a problem with everything, for whatever reason the game seems to go out of it's way to prevent you from being able to look left or right. Horrible cockpits that block peripheral vision are normal apparently, and being able to shoot in 3rd person is sketchy at best. Infantry all have neckbraces and can't look left or right without turning their entire bodies that way, preventing them from moving faster than crawl speed. Ground vehicles are pretty bad too, though half have secondary gunner(s) that have freedom to look any direction, as do tank drivers, leaving only the flash stuck in neckbrace land.

The only difference being air collisions are almost always fatal for at least one of the two, while infantry and ground vehicles either don't collide with each other or only kill flashes because they move too damn slow.

I really want to complain more about it but I'm worried that the neckbracing is done intentionally for performance reasons. Arma 2 seems to manage fine without it, but Arma 2 has so many problems with physics that PS2 doesn't that it's hard to draw a clear comparison.
  10. Duskguy

Dont feel bad. I lose more libs to "allied" fighters and drop pods than anything else. After that its due to enemy fighters as there is NO way for a single lib to flee or shoot them down. You are left with opton A. Ram them or option B. Find a friendly fighter not too consumed with the urge to kill things on the ground with rockets to help you before you die.

Flak is a deterrent and if not for the terrible accuracy of it it would work as such. However flak users need to get points based on damage not kills (reverse of repair or healing gun). The AA GUNS like say... the walker, need not be a joke that pilots laugh at. Once we see this AA wil be complained about less.
  11. RAS

A short video of how things go at a vs landing pad , before the gal there was a lib which decided to land on a few scythes .....
  12. Gungan

That's the first thing that popped into my head.

I have collided with maybe 1 other Reaver since launch.. which is surprising even to me.
  13. RAS

So if i'm hovering or on the repair pad not moving its my fault someone flies into or lands on me ?

Man i give up on these forums , full of ******* brain dead idiots
    • Up x 1
  14. RAS

this from today which is a daily thing that happens multiple times

15. RAS

forgot to add fast forward to the minute mark ^^^^
  16. Xale

I'm kind of limiting the amount of flying I'm doing for that reason. Surprise loops and barrell rolls are only fun for so far!

How have you by the way managed to stay hidden RAS.
    3 weeks and I don't recall seeing you once! Sneaky sneaky!
  17. RAS

i've been mainly on amerish and indar , a little on esa aswell :p
  18. Pat22

Here's a tip for all pilots out there, especially the unexperienced ones:

If you see an ESF and it's already being chased by an allied ESF, do NOT go after it. You'll only get in the way of the pilot already after it. You can follow from a distance to offer support. If you're sporting A2A missiles then you can attempt to snipe the enemy ESF while staying clear of your ally, or you could just let him do his business and make sure there are no other enemy ESFs in the sky.
  19. LameFox

That's nothing, you should see how many infantry we lose to the sides of my tank. I don't know if it's a sync issue, or they just hit w and close their eyes or what. With my broken minimap it's hard enough not hitting them with the front, but preventing them from hitting me and dying is impossible.

As for flying near allies... don't do it! I used to have this exact issue every day, because one enemy fighter comes along and everyone in the area tries to get in on the kill. It gets to the point that I either fly in places with less of them about, or just endeavour to kill things so fast that there's no time to collect a tail of windowlickers. Of course the occasional plane still smacks face first into the side of my mosquito, but it's infrequent enough now that I just swear at them and go get another one.

Landing is pretty similar. A lot of people can barely land without killing their own plane, nevermind watching out for yours. Some of them also do it on purpose - I like to shoot those ones down. Then there are people in liberators and galaxies who don't seem aware they can use 3rd person and as a result, cannot see. I prefer to repair in out of the way places or cautiously in the shield, and I get ammo by hovering briefly and clearing out if I hear/see any planes coming in to the pads.

In crowded places though (I'm often lazy and just accept the risk, frankly) I sometimes frighten people by landing next to them on a pad, or hovering above a landed plane for ammo. Sometimes they run away to another pad, when all I was doing was landing next to them on the half they weren't using. It's quite funny.
  20. Sparks

This is why I generally always fly back to a "safe" airpad at a tower/base far from where the zerg operates since it barely takes any time to fly across the continent in ps2. Usually there is always 1 or 2 available where it'll be just me and my friends resupplying/repairing. Also if I'm chasing someone and 1 or 2 or more mossy's show up on the minimap I just give up and fly back while I wait for the assist xp instead of going for the kill, staying in that fight is useless as both mossy's will just end up ramming me instead.

Honestly SOE has bigger issues to fix instead of this (while it is quite annoying when it happens tho).