[Suggestion] 3 new audio options - Disable Horn Sounds, Default Horn Sounds, Horn Volume Slider

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tilderx, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Scr1nRusher

Salts effects on the Human Body?
    • Up x 1
  2. Goldmonk

EVEN REALER!!!! DUN DUNDUNNNNNNNN!!!!!
    • Up x 1
  3. Scr1nRusher

RadarX's Drink Selection?
    • Up x 1
  4. Tilderx

There's a big difference between standing out from the crowd, and being annoying. You spend money to buy unique armor and skins for your weapons and vehicles. Just look at all the armor and vehicle combinations there are, since you can mix and match for a unique look.

xxxxxxxxx Horns DO NOT make you unique in anyway xxxxxxxxx

Air vehicles have 2-3 horns, Atv's, Harassers, and Sunders have 8-10 horns, tanks have 1 or 2 horns

And the horns i hear the most are the Whale, toilet, laughing, and pipe organ. That's probably cause when you press the horn, the sound lasts 2 to 5 seconds.

There's a big different between cosmetic skins and cosmetic sounds too. If you paid money on an armor skin to look like Ronald McDonald, that would a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 of being annoying. You'd have a hard time making me look at you if i didnt want too. But with a cosmetic horn, you hear it as long as they are with in a certain range. Doesn't matter what direction you are facing. As long as they spam it, you are gonna hear it. Sound is a more disruptive cosmetic than visual, especially since sound is such an important part of the game. Being able to hear footsteps behind you, vehicles and gunfire off in the distant, etc.

If you have the option to spam the horn as much as you want, others should have the option to turn down the volume of horns or disable them, so it doesnt impact their player experience on how they want to play.

If people are force to hear the horn, then the horn should be limited to 1 play a minute or more. But you are still forcing people ti hear it when YOU want them to hear it. That's how other games handle things like this.

If i have to option to mute or lower your volume in Proximty Chat (or any chat), then i should have the option to do the same for horns. Just because 1, or a few people, mute you in a voice channel, doesn't stop you from talking and saying whatever you want to those people willing to listen to it.
    • Up x 1
  5. Flag

Granted there are some horns I don't like (toilet flush in particular), I think you're overly harsh in your view of most of them.

Although that said, I'm absolutely against adding options that practically removes the effect of a cosmetic purchase, a reduction in volume, especially for the pipe organ one for the harasser is something I can agree with (I even own that horn, but generally don't use it - Got the NS horn most of the time).
  6. Taemien

You have the option not to play.

Sorry but the horns are part of the game. Just like the various faction announcers. And if you want us to believe you paid anything like the rest of us, feel free to prove it. Turn on the tag: [IMG]
  7. Tilderx

So, another "i paid for it, so EVERYONE should be forced to listen to it" reply. Does no one buy a horn simply because they like it WITHOUT the hidden (or not so hidden) agenda of spamming your horn to annoy / troll people?

again i make the comparison. If i was traveling near you and i was spamming music in Proximity Chat, if the option to mute just me didn't exist in the game, wouldn't you want one?

I dont know any other game with built in Voice Comms that makes it so easy to mute individual players. You hear them talk, press NumPad Enter and Bamm!, they are muted. No going to menus and searching for their name to mute. One button press and done.

Cosmetics add nothing to the game, thats why they are optional. Skins can be combined to give unique looks. But skins neither add or take away from the "player experience". What something looks like doesnt distract me from shooting at it. The only time i take note at what something looks like is on the kill screen when i die. I get to see what the player or vehicle looks like.

To me, horns are sound pollution. I can't stand sound pollution in a serious FPS game. If this were Team Fortress 2, i wouldn't give a crap. Being able to hear whats going on in the battlefield is important, to me. Hearing footsteps, directional gunfire, cloakers who cloak and decloak, allies and enemies spotting targets, etc

I'm probably in the minority of people who want these options. But these options should be in the game for those who want to use them. The majority of players probably wont even touch them. But just because the majority might not use them, doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. Having these options added to the game takes nothing away from Horns and a majority of people in the game are still going to hear your spaminess.
    • Up x 1
  8. Taemien

I'll let you have the setting if I can have the following settings:

1. Default Faction Camo on everyone. No more nighttime advantage for Pay to Win or Play to Win (directive).
    2. Immunity to non-default weapons.

Lets make this game super casual so any newcomer has it alright.

I've actually seen Play to Win arguments popping up in other MMOs only a matter of time before they come here. And why not? Lol... Landmark has players who say PVE is too hardcore.
  9. Tilderx

You're right, i do have the option to not play. And i bet you'd hate it if all the people who found minor annoyances in the game just decided to quit. There would be a whole lot less people playing and would make the game less fun for those still around looking for fights. It would be the beginning of the downward spinal of planetside 2 death.

But i enjoy the game, just like i enjoy PS1. And there is always room for improvement, so i made a suggestion post for an idea to add options for people, like myself and other i play with and talk too about this subject, to adjust how we hear those annoying horns.

And you're right again, horns are apart of the game. i'm not suggesting they be removed. You know what else is apart of the game? :
    Music - but i have no idea what is sounds like because from day 1, i've had that slider at 0
    Dialog - but i adjusted that from default down to about .25
    SFX - I have this set to .50

There's also Voice Coms. Thats a HUGE part of the game. Not only are there multiple volume sliders and mute options within Voice Coms, there's 1 check box that if i uncheck, turns off that whole "part" of the game.

And i never said whether I was a paying member or not. I just used that as an example because i got responses that said "i paid real money X, so others should be forced to X".

Seeing as all game options are exactly the same for F2P and Membership players, its doesnt matter.

First, i personally believe that Planetside 2 is NOT Pay to Win.

1. I'd let you have this one. As a TR main, I personally find that the default camo on NC and VS blends in super well into the nighttime shadows. Them having black camo wouldn't make them any harder to see for me.

2. I dont see how talking about weapons or camo has anything to do with whether or not some horn sound options are added. But have fun being immune to non-default weapons when almost all VS use Orion.

If someone, F2P or Member, puts in the time to save up 5000 certs to buy 5 "Exceptional Weapons", then puts in enough time to get 1200 kill with each of those 5 weapons, they earned that black camo. I'll never do it even though i have 5 exceptional weapons.
    • Up x 1
  10. Rentago

the devs receive a salary you know, they aren't paid per hour, and they aren't getting paid based on how much work they do or they'd be getting paid nothing for these last couple of years. If the membership or whatever was an actual tip jar that got sent directly to the development team that would be different.

The fact however is that it would take work, time, and obviously combined that costs money. Money that they funnel to their other projects with more people to pay to work on them.

The hud is things like the minimap, your health and shields, all of that is rendered through flash. At least, last I checked that was the case and I don't think that will change any time soon. That is also why the hud just looks the way it does.

Thank you Tilderx, people like you make me happy that I'm not the only sane person here, there are some real dense and ignorant wallet warriors on this forum, and they fight tooth and nail for the destruction of this game all to be special snowflakes.
  11. Tilderx

Spread the word, my brother. We need people who agree with adding Horn Audio Controls to the game to post here saying so. We need to let Daybreak know this is a acceptable and needed option to the game.
  12. CorporationUSA

Being able to disable an entire category of cosmetic item would hurt them. If I know lots of players are muting horns, I'm not going to pay real money for one.
  13. Rentago

Well you know how if you turn down graphic quality it simply brings ALL types of effects down, but it also turns off one effect you don't want as well? I simply just want to turn off certain things without making the whole game needing to look bad.
  14. Taemien

None of these are purchased.

Like camos and helmets, horns are purchased as a means for a player to express themselves. Allowing options to disable that makes such purchases less valuable.

Sorry to say, but no vehicle horn is loud enough to quell footsteps, gunfire, or general game sounds. Unless you're in the vehicle or standing literally on top of it. If you don't like the sound a vehicle is making, get away from it. You don't have to ride in it.

To be quite honest, the only time I normally hear horns is usually when I'm using them in my Sunderer to let those supplying around it know, its about to mobilize, or to get people's attention to that I'm going to stop for them. Or for them to get out of the way if they're blocking the road. Its very useful in that regard. And when I hear others' use the horn, its for mostly the same reason.

I can literally count the number of times I've heard the horn being used outside of that on one hand over the last 2 years. So forgive me if I don't believe your reasons have any merit, based on that fact. I think I've been intentionally knifed by friendlies more often than that in the same time frame.
  15. Tilderx

Proxity Chat is there to "express yourself" too. But you can mute people who spam and abuse it. If people didn't abuse the horn, then no one would think that a horn volume slider or horn disable option would be needed. I'm not saying you spam your horn. But there are enough people on Emerald that do.

But i think i get what you are really saying. You paid $5 so you can "express yourself" by spamming a horn that sounds like a whale or toilet. It doesn't matter if you pressed that button for the first time in 5 minutes or whether you pressed it for the 100th time in that last minute. Other people NEED to hear you "express yourself" through this one, defining sound, over and over and over again.

So, if i'm "reading between the lines" on all you posts, what you are really saying is that i need to make a new suggestion post. I should suggest that Daybreak add a new cosmetic helmet. This new cosmetic helmet will cost $5 and will look like the default helmet of whatever class you are using. But this cosmetic helmet is special, for when you wear it, no one can mute you in Proximty Chat. Thats right, i'll walk around all day long while talking in Proximty chat and "express myself" for all to hear, and they CANT mute me. And you know why they can't mute me or even turn down my volume? Cause i paid $5 for a cosmetic helmet. As long as i'm not being obscene or rude, your /reports will go ignored, cause it's "apart of the game". Even if you disable Voice Coms entirely, you will still hear everyone wearing this new cosmetic helmet in proximty chat. You don't like listening to the Macarena for the 14th time in a row. Well then, i guess you need to go somewhere else on the map that i'm not at. But where ever you go, i'm sure there will be someone wearing this new $5 cosmetic helmet that feels the need to "express themselves".

And just remember, if you start to get annoyed that you can't escape all those people who want to "express themselves", you always have the option not to play. And while you're not playing, you'll have time to make a new suggestion post that Daybreak should add a new ultrasonic horn. This $10 cosmetic horn doesn't make any noise at all. But when you use it, it cancels out all proximty chat with in range of your horn for 10 seconds. So as long as you spam your horn, you dont have to hear all the people "expressing themselves" in prox chat.
    • Up x 1
  16. Taemien

Its used for communication. Sorry but I've gotten players suspended for abusing this in the past. Try again.
  17. Pelojian

used right horns are useful, they are ether "your in my way! MOVE" or on a sunderer pickup passengers it supplements chat when you say you are taking on passengers to take to the next base, the horn draws their attention and they hop in.

now they just need to create a sensible generic horn sound for MBTs and lightnings that isn't just a faction theme song ripoff. the sunderer NS-A and NS-B horns sound like real horns. good luck getting someone to move using a theme song horn.
  18. Agarthan

Holy **** my sides are taking artillery.
    • Up x 1
  19. FateJH

You don't pay for basic /yell privileges.
  20. stalkish

I see you have the same forum warriors in your thread as go into ALL threads just to argue for the sake of arguing. These forumers are more interested in 'likes' than they are the game, i wouldnt waste your time responding to it.
    They make up all sorts of lies to 'backup' their points, examples of such are above. They even repeat the same argument over and over and over, as if you dont realise and havent just 2 posts ago responded to the exact same thing :rolleyes:.
    Its actually quite sad to see people with such social problems, i guess the neanderthal didnt go extinct after all....

My advice is to do what i do, add these pathetic people to your ignore list so you dont even give them the time of day.
    Only problem then is when you dont log in while browsing and see that drivel anyways.