26 and nothing.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AuraBliss, Feb 26, 2020.

1. DarkStarAnubis

Isn't Andy is the same guy who was behind ps:arena?

People making cool videos about this and that describing a 500 years Roadmap of glory for arena, releasing interviews and all that jazz.

The the game hit pre-launch mode in a ****** state. Suddenly the cool videos and interviews disappeared. Backpedal mode. No more dates.

Then delays after delays and "we want to make it polished and good, we listen to the feedback". Yeah sure.

Then the game went out, shallow as tinfoil and was finally canned with an average population of 5-10 players.

So, just to put announcements and cool aids in the proper light.

Now, hype aside, let's speak about that from a pure software development point of view (nothing incidental, I have been working in that field for 30 years): and m8, RPG has room for improvement to say the least.

Nobody and nothing (except credibility or lack thereof) forces you to commit on a delivery date. Of course, people are paid at the end of the month and you are supposed to deliver one day or another (you know, paying rents, mortgages, refuel the car and all the other mundane things sadly requiring cash).

But if you go out on the market with a date, you are staking your reputation in terms of managing software projects, tracking effort, keeping quality under control and a zillions of other details behind a delivery date.

Especially since it has been ages since you delivered new content and you took months to fix a stupid thing as footstep noise.

And guess what you do when you figure out you are not in control of a software project?

The last resort : "we are ready when we are ready."
  2. lokear

They said the same last time, Honestly I don't know why an update takes so long
  3. Calador

Love when people think software development is like typing random numbers in an excel sheet
    • Up x 1
  4. TRspy007

We should be happy, for once the devs are being smart. Instead of quickly rushing the update like DX11, then creating hell week for all the players, the devs are taking their time to (hopefully) iron out the patch.

I'm sure everyone is excited for the update, and annoyed it hasn't been released yet, but I respect the devs decision. If they say it isn't ready, it isn't ready. I'd rather wait longer and get a somewhat smooth patch than get the chaotic nonsense that every patch has brought with it so far. So please, encourage the devs, congratulate them for finally taking their time to release a decent patch. Remember, the fate of the game could really be impacted by this, so it's important that it's done correctly.

However, an advice for the team would be to specify these are tentative dates, or refrain from presenting set dates to the community, so some people don't get impatient. Instead say "this update is expected to arrive sometime next month" or "next week, we should be looking to release this update". Just so players don't focus on a date so much.
    • Up x 1
  5. That_One_Kane_Guy

Because people don't get paid tremendous amounts of money to do programming because it's really easy. Otherwise companies like Microsoft and EA would be super, super dead right now.
    • Up x 1
  6. icufos

It's wonderful when people tell the truth and keep you informed.

Cannot praise the developers enough.
    If only our governments were that honest and informative.
    • Up x 1
  7. icufos

:p I used to live next to a games programmer.
    Every morning when we came out of our houses to go to work he used to look at me and say...
    'Don't ever ever become a ********** programmer!'

It's really hard. Have done some long time ago. Think I almost went INSANE.:eek:
    However as you can tell from my occasional posts....I'm alright now.
    • Up x 1
  8. Yavimaya

The delay is giving outfits more time to actually get organized.
    • Up x 2
  9. PlaceholderName

i personally dont care about bastions so it doesnt bother me. Its just an outfit thing anyway