21th century weapon

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by dreamstarnight1, Jun 23, 2014.

1. WarmasterRaptor

For all we can argue about :

Nanites. :eek:

The guns can look whatever we want them to be. The nanites will make them work.

Like an old, ornate pistol, I'd see them as prestige items worn by high ranked officiers...

Anyway, I'm still divided on the question. It is a game many many many years in the future...
  2. Traveller

What does this thread have to the engineer class...OP? Anyone. Five pages of nonsense at the top of the engineer forum :confused:. Get it moved to the proper would ya?
  3. Nurath

I'd say you probably wanna play CoD games. :p

Sorry, not to harsh on your buzz, but PS2 is a sci-fi themed shooter.
  4. Regpuppy

From a lore perspective, there's simply no justifying it. Before we even talk about Auraxis and the expedition, it's the 27th century (2600-2660) I doubt people even remember what our weapons look like. You'd have to explain away why we have weapons of THIS specific century. Why not the 23rd Century? Why not a M1 Garand or an MG34? Then there's the expedition and colonization of Auraxis, to which I doubt they carried over 600 years worth of gun history on their ships. Then there's the nearly 200 years of colonization, with no access to earth. So all three sides, definitely Vanu and NC, had to manufacture their own weapons.

Then there's the theme conflict. We already have some things that push it like the crossbow, which only resembles old crossbows in concept, along with some goofy weapons. But putting real life weapons just strikes me as jenky as hell, unless you wanted to do a sci-fi revamp of old weapons.
  5. M2_Bradley

There could be a back story for the NC....Where they raid museums for functional but ancient weapons and ammunition,as a last resort....In PS2 we have laizhur beamz,railguns,and the TR still stick with the basic design for a bullet.Invented almost a 1000 years ago....So why not...An AK because why the f*ck not? :p
  6. Regpuppy

But... why would an expeditionary fleet have a museum, holding over 600 year old guns?
    • Up x 1
  7. M2_Bradley

Because you know....Reasons.Why not take a military museum to a space expeditions....
  8. DatVanuMan

I wish this game was about fun and variety, just like you said. But it's about nerfing and attractive flashlight gels now:(
    Plus, where's the fun in that? The TR and NC use projectile based weaponry because it's uniqueXD
    TR because tradition, and NC because damage:)
  9. FillyFluttershy

To be totally fair, some of the weapons in this game use real life calibers and some that are pretty similar. I don't think TR's weapons are necessarily that advanced compared to present day ones...But still kind of dumb to see present day weapon designs in this futuristic setting. I'd say it's not needed or wanted by most.
    • Up x 1
  10. Lightwolf

Real life calibers, not real life rounds. You're shooting chem-rail propelled shield-penetrating nanite-infused bullets son. Even TR use futuristic rounds. Lore wise, a 5.56 from our time would just bounce off of either armor or shield.
    • Up x 1
  11. DatVanuMan

VS= Plasma weapons that don't feel like plasma.
    NC= Gauss weapons that don't seem to gore your enemies like they're supposed to.
    TR= Traditional, semi-futuristic weapons that are conventional in appliance, look alike, but are too VS like (And vice versa), only without the alien look alike models and no bullet drop feature that already doesn't exist on the weapons that need it and the weapons that already have it are nerfed because of it, despite the fact that they can't use it efficiently.
    Planetside 2's amazing and unique variety in a nutshell.
  12. Vikingo

It was originally moved from GD by some mod. No idea why that mod thought this would be a fitting place for it though....
  13. Nurath

The less well initiated don't realise that lorewise the war of Auraxis occurs hundreds of years into the future after a world war on earth, a lost expeditionary force, and a few hundred years planetside (forgive the pun) developing a new society.

Literally the only place an AK-47 will exist is in a museum somewhere on Earth and maybe on future-wikipedia as an old and buried article.
    • Up x 1
  14. Lightwolf

The way Vanu tech just burrows its way into people's psyche, transforming then into drones of semi-religious zealots bent on propagating vanu tech and spreading the madness still gets to me.
  15. ColonelChingles

I would assume that the reason for this is they're combining subsonic ammunition with suppressors. Kind of an unstated combo.

Subsonic rounds are loaded to a little lower pressure in order to keep the bullet from breaking the sound barrier. They're normally used with suppressors, because using a suppressor with supersonic bullets will still result in the supersonic crack as they break the sound barrier. Kinda defeats the purpose of trying to suppress your weapon.

16. Flea6.8

Your probably right in-game, suppressor = suppressor+subsonic ammo.

Actually subsonic ammo is rarely used because the lower velocity wont allow bullets to upset as much therefore lowing the amount of tissue damage the round does.

Even with supersonic ammo, using a suppressor is a good idea you still get muzzle flash reduction, it helps protect the shooters hearing, and mask the position of the shooter. Since the *crack* of the bullet breaking the sound barrier travels outward from the bullet at almost a 90 degree angle, and the report of the rifle reduced so much, its not uncommon for people to look in completely the wrong direction for the shooter. Factor in hard surfaces such as buildings or rock faces the sound is bouncing off of as well and finding the shooter is no easy task. But this is real world application, in a war zone.

This is a game, and for the sake of balance we make trade-offs.
  17. ColonelChingles

To try and make up for this, subsonic rounds are often heavier than their supersonic counterparts. For example, normal 5.56 bullets can weigh anywhere from 55 to 72 grains, whereas subsonic 5.56 can go beyond 120 grains. The idea is that if your round is slower, then at least it should be heavier due to E=0.5mv^2. If you can't mess with velocity, then you can only mess with mass.

This is the idea behind .300 BLK, which is an attempt to create a 5.56-compatible round that does more damage than a traditional subsonic 5.56 round. These can weigh from 125 to 200 grains, and have the terminal ballistic performance of 9x19 (a pistol round).

Naturally this isn't as effective, because velocity counts for much more than mass does as velocity is squared. But them's the breaks if you want to be suppressed... physics is a bit unforgiving like that.
  18. Flea6.8

Yep and if you look at the data, supersonic rounds for the 300 blackout work very well out to 300 yards. The subsonic are still being perfected, i know they have had issues with the rounds not upsetting due to the low velocity.

Regardless i think we are on the same page.

Me point was simply we have soldiers using suppressors with supersonic ammo and its still quite effective. While you don't remove all sound it does help to increase the ability to survive on the battlefield with virtually no down sides. (weight, price, and increasing the length of the weapon, these don't matter in game.)
  19. ColonelChingles

For PS2, I think they are using a suppressor/subsonic ammunition combination because it essentially "removes" you from the minimap, which suggests a much higher level of suppression than what a suppressor/supersonic ammunition combination should be able to offer.

Hence the "reduced damage at range" and "reduced velocity" traits of the suppressor. If you assume that they are using both a suppressor as well as subsonic ammunition, then the in-game traits of suppressed weapons actually makes a lot of sense. Arguably PS2 subsonic rounds are relatively more effective than IRL subsonic rounds because while IRL subsonic rounds would significantly degrade your damage at any range, PS2 subsonic rounds keep your damage at short ranges and only penalize you at longer ranges.