2014 Membership - Update from Smed

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Luperza, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingabong

I stopped reading right there.
  2. stalkish

Damned 30 minute timer, couldnt edit.

After looking into it a little bit, the accounting policies state that the SC isnt actualy the 'virtual goods' that SOE are selling. The SC in players station accounts is like a credit with SOE and is not recognised as revenue until it is used to purchase the virtual goods being offered i.e when you buy a camo. (It is infact more complicated than that, the revenue from said camo is time apportioned to either the life of the virtual good, the life of the gamer or the life of the game)

What he says then about the tax being due is a bit wierd, if the revenue isnt recognised until the SC is spent i dont see why tax would be due. [EDIT] Just had a thought on this, he could be referring to some sort of sales tax (VAT in the UK) some states apparently have this tax, perhaps Texas since he quoted that state.

Dont have the time to look into it further atm.
  3. Cipherpol

this^

ahead i have no membership but I still have read through all the threads to this topic. I think it's great that a publisher listen their customers as it makes SOE.
    The community manager makes a good work ;)

I have spent up to now 25,00 Euro for the game and i would like to invest more (membership) but I have not so much money :(
    Not because I necessarily need a camouflage but to support the game.

The gameplay is amazing, no pay to win, a great Community and a publisher / developer of responding to the wishes of the players.

Sorry for my bad english I hope you were able to understand everything.
  4. NC_agent00kevin

So this means that as I have a PS2 membership, I will eventually have a membership to all SOE games, correct?

Its early and I haven't finished my coffee yet.
  5. eatcow0

Yes flags! I would totally buy a flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. bristolbulldog

there is one thing you can do to help aleviate some peoples issues with the single purchase thing. add in something like premium rental.

like a boost slot, you gety a premium rental slot. so you can rent something, for free. like a camo, or a boost or what not. you get to use it for "free" for the entire duration of your membership.

the item should be changeable, and available on all accounts, so either its unique to each character so faction specific weapons can be used, or you figure a better way.

there should be a 48 hour timer on swapping it out to other items of course, but this will allow players who do like getting extra items, having more choice, or want to buy something cheap, not to feel ripped off that a 100sc ornament cost them 2k?
  7. Piestro Community Relations

Once everything settles down and finalizes we'll take care of everyone appropriately.
  8. Piestro Community Relations

Previously you would have probably been better off with a All Access subscription, but when these changes go through it'll all be moot.

The current intentions with these changes as I understand them is that SC will be claimable in whatever game, and go towards your general overall SC balance. That SC won't be locked in to that specific game. With one membership you'll receive membership benefits in both games, and so the second membership will become useless (because it's on the same account). We'll have to figure out exactly how we're implementing this before we can say exactly what will happen in what order. Either way we'll have to figure out a plan on how we take care of the people in this situation. Depending on how long this takes to implement you might want to switch to a month of all access or so (depending on dates and such) and save yourself the 10 bucks or however much it is.

Accounting and tax laws don't have to make sense unfortunately. I sometimes suspect they don't make sense on purpose. ;)
    • Up x 3
  9. Kyn

Thanks for listening Smed (I actually liked the 2000 purchase idea, but this is probably better for the player studio items)
    People are always going to believe you are money grubbing. Your part of sony, so you'll suffer big corporation dogma. And, you have to live down SOE's past reputation. I mean, how many of us are still trying to forget SWG's backwards development?

PS2 to me was a surprising success. Good work Smed, and the rest of the team... oh.. I still want my inventory back though.. I miss the mix and match class work of ps1.
    • Up x 2
  10. Bean

Best Post Ever. Thank You for your HONESTY!!
  11. stalkish

Preaching to the choir m8, im an accountant by profession, its a complicated area no matter what industry, it does make sense once you do the research, unfortunately i dont have any computer games designers as clients. I have to agree tho im sure its made intentionaly complicated (although im glad since it gives me a job :D ).
    • Up x 2
  12. vincent-

I can't see a soldier carrying a flag all day but a taunt to place one in the ground when a base is taken or have them on tanks or vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ultramarine

Your point? What two items worth crap can you get for 500sc?
  14. NC_agent00kevin

Sexy Sexy Camos. Nanites not included.
    • Up x 2
  15. Mormomboy

There are about10 items per faction that are fairly good weapons. Also sales. M77b is a decent bolt action. The rhino isa good lmg.
    So there are 10 items per faction that you could get in 5 months per faction compared to10

Effort. To clarify.
    Those weapons are 250 sc each. 2 per month.
  16. Zerky

I'm sorry, but if the price of the game is 15$ per month, I only play PS2, then I'm heading over to Battlefield 4.
    I'm sorry, but 15$ is just too much money for me.
  17. nallar

wat? :eek:

They haven't increased the price at all - that's the current price for membership.

The game's definitely still going to be free to play as well.
  18. Wych

Can you please tell us if all SOE accounts regardless of region will be automatically included into this deal. (As long as you are a subscriber to one of your games).

My eyes maybe getting old and I missed the response although I have been looking for one.

Although and here is my spanner in the works: I presume since SOE are publishing EQN themselves worldwide that naturally all accounts would be included in this new deal.

Its only logical!
    • Up x 1
  19. UserOneBazillion

I'm a new player. Thanks to #3, I'll now be getting a membership because that makes it worth it to me.
  20. Piestro Community Relations

This is a little complicated, and there are really too many permutations to run through in a simple forum post. I'd almost have to know your exact situation before I could even begin to predict exactly how it works for you.

For example, you live in the EU*, have a SOE account for PS2, are a premium member, and previously have never tried EQ2.

So after the currently announced changes your account would be an SOE account with an all access membership. You would have access to PS2 (since you were grandfathered in back when this was an option), would have access to EQ, etc. You would not have access to EQ2 since EQ2 is now published in the EU region* and any new players in that region need to sign up through ProSieben.

But if you tried EQ2 way back in the day on a free trial and never signed up, you'd get a different answer for EQ2.

When you say EQN there are actually 2 games, EverQuest Next and EverQuest Next: Landmark. There's a start of an explanation here. SOE has announced we will be handling worldwide publishing of EverQuest Next: Landmark. However we haven't announced if there will be or what membership will mean for EverQuest Next: Landmark so even thinking about what this means for that game is starting to get way too far out in the future. It's probably not a bad thing in any respect though. :)

So the TL; DR version is yes included, but probably with some caveats. And if you're really looking for specific clarification send me or Luperza a private message or contact CS.

-Piestro

*It's not technically the EU, I'm just using that as a convenient shorthand. I really don't want to have to type out like 2 dozen countries.

P.S. This isn't an excuse to start an in depth discussion of the ProSieben partnership. Please start a new thread in off topic if that's what you want to discuss. There is probably a thread or two there already. This whole conversation is complicated enough without significant derails and stuff like that really makes it hard to read through for feedback on this topic.

P.P.S. This is my current understanding of the situation, which of course could be wrong because everything is still in a state of flux as we are making decisions on exactly what we are doing still. Also, while I'm a really swell guy I don't get invited to the executive meetings on this particular aspect of this subject.
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.