2 Players 1 IP

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by CanadianSniper, Sep 3, 2013.

1. CanadianSniper

Im sure there is an answer for this, but Does SOE not allow two players on the same IP? Me and my brother share same connection in our house obviously, but when he logs on, he gets disconnected. Did SOE implement something that keeps people from having 2 games running on the same IP?
  2. ZephyrBurst

3. Paulus

You'll probably find its actually your Bandwidth that's the issue, not your IP.

Every device in your network will have its own IP address.

The external IP address that the Internet sees is actually assigned to your router.

If you go to a website like www.ipchicken.com you can see how it will indicate the same IP address from any computer inside your network. That's because all the Internet sees is your router's external port.

Computers inside your local network will typically get their IP addresses assigned by your router, which keeps track of the addresses assigned and "translates" the incoming responses from the Internet to the proper internal IP address which is not visible outside of your network.
  4. Bambasti

Should work, in general there's no problem with several people behind a router, all using the same WAN-IP. You may try to turn off UPnP in the settings of your device if available, sometimes it causes trouble like you have and isn't really needed anyway, many consider it also as security treat.
  5. IamDH

I've played with people on the same net and there was no issue at all
  6. Sliced

I would say the router is not configured properly, or you don't have enough bandwidth to support both you and your brother.
  7. The Flask

The thing with NAT traversal when using 2 local clients that are accessed by the same port (seen from the outside) still only have one public IP with one public port (your router/modem outside adress) which the router maps in a table. So the router can only forward that outside port to the same client that is mentioned in his NAPT table. The other local client needs to somehow dynamically change his ports so that it can be accessed via the same public IP but on different ports

The solution for that problem is UPnP NAT Traversal, I suspect PS2 supports it as most games do. So make sure that your router also supports UPnP NAT Traversal and enable it.

The only other option I can trhink of is the change the local ports your PS2 client uses on one computer for both login, gaming session and voice access (the latter of which i suspect can change dynamically so it would still give problems without using upnp).
    But I don't think it is possible to manually change the ports or at least I couldn't find it...and also might not be allowed by SOE policy for some reason.
  8. Bambasti

UPnP and NAT are usually different things. ;)

A router does NAT by definition (at least until IPv6 becomes the standard, it's not needed here anymore), UPnP is just an automatic system that can be controlled by applications to forward ports for server apps and is usually not useful while running a client (like PS2). It just causes trouble on some routers in combination with some games, simply turn it off if connection problems occur or if one player is kicked when another joins from the same network. And if you really need port forwarding for some reason then it's the best idea to do it manually so you always know what's happening in your network.
  9. Da3m0n

Are you using the same account? that would be the only way you guys get kicked out from one logging in.

if not then if you are using a hub rather than a switch or router then you may be considered to have the same ip because your isp only assigns one ip so each computer is alternating the ip. hub bad, switch router good.
  10. CanadianSniper

well, problem got fixed by hooking him up by cable instead of him using his wireless card... it shouldnt make a difference, unless the card couldnt keep up with the bandwidth.
  11. Paulus

Really, for FPS gaming you would both benefit from being hardwired rather than playing over Wi-Fi. Its ok if you don't have any other choice, but in a fast paced game like PS2, the packet loss that can occur can have unpredictable consequences, usually involving you being dead.