2 changes for Construction Bases

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Etomb, Apr 30, 2023.

1. Etomb

I think that construction bases have some balance issues now that automated defense have been removed; issues that were there before but are now made more extreme.

Comparing them to existing parts of the game illustrates this best:

--Normal bases: Defenders have time to respond because of the capture timer, penalty for slow response/failure is less time to fix capture and potentially losing the point/base.

--Construction bases: Defenders DO NOT have time to respond because of 1 minute capture timer, and the penalty for slow response is that your spawn point/cover/whole base has been deleted. The penalty for failing to defend is the same as normal- losing the base.

This makes defending a construction base extremely difficult, especially without sitting there and babysitting it. The automation/pain spires pushed back against this; they were an immediate response, and I'm pretty sure that capture time at construction nodes is so low because of previous difficulty in attacking those automated defenses.

With the removal of the pain spire/turret ai, bases have to rely entirely on defenders spawning in there BEFORE **** GOES DOWN, lest everything be deleted before they even get there.
    Construction bases are going to have to have dedicated defenders 24/7 in order to ensure that spawns stay up at the capture point, just in case a fight ever happens there.
    In short, construction bases are glorified sunderers- spawns that don't live without babysitting.

To compare with sunderers:
    -- (unattended) Sunderers are easy to kill, disposable, and balanced in this by their low-cost disposable nature.

-- (unattended) Construction bases are easy to kill, not really disposable, and have a MASSIVE investment by the player. The ratio of player investment is to return is low, in my opinion, and not in line with the balance elsewhere in the game.

Therefore, 2 changes that I would like to see made to make construction bases' defendability match player investment into them are:
    1. Increase capture time at 1 minute nodes to 2 minutes, allowing defenders time to respond.

2.a. Make it so that the spawn tubes inside the new structures can not be destroyed separately from the stucture. As long as the structure lives, the tube that is a part of it lives. This, again, gives defenders time to respond to an attack.
    2.b. Perhaps make it so that spawn tubes can be repaired by a repair module socketed into their host building, if that isn't the case already.
    • Up x 1