Server restarts - 2 suggestions

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NovaAustralis, Jan 9, 2013.

1. NovaAustralis

Firstly, I completely understand the need for server restarts and their function.
    I fully appreciate that new patches and hot-fixes should be implemented ASAP.

However, let me make two suggestions to improve the current methodology of server restarts:

1. Provide us an estimate of the downtime.
    Currently we at least get a 5min (or more) warning of an impended server shutdown.
    Which is way better than the server just dumping you unexpected, especially during a good battle.
    Okay, we know the server is going down, but for how long?
    Should I check every 5mins, or 30mins or tomorrow?
    Obviously use some "expectation management", but an estimate is better than nothing at all.

2. Can server restarts be done outside prime-time.
    For example, the most recent server restart for Briggs(AU) was about 22:00 AEST.
    Most 'normal' players will be online from after business/school hours 16:00 to 23:00 or thereabouts.
    People on holidays or leave and during weekends will likely be on from around 08:00 to 23:00.
    I'm sure you have all this data anyway.
    If at all possible, could server restarts be done at, say, 04:00 - 05:00?
    This way only a minimum of people are affected.
    (I know the technicians may need to get over-time pay, but surely with the software today a macro could be written to set server restart time, implement the required files and then boot back up, with minimal human involvement required?
    • Up x 1
  2. Marked4Death

Yeah, or if maint has to be done on briggs prime time, could we be left till last? That way the issues that always crop up can be fixed on other servers before we go down (other servers being off-peak).
  3. Hydragarium

Server restarts are not something you do when you want to run maintenance - you do it because something has gone terribly wrong...
  4. NovaAustralis

I know time zones are tricky, but this is the 21st century...

I'm sure if SOE want a non-prime-time roll-out of a patch / hotfix in the USA, they can delay it so it doesn't start smack bang prime-time in Aus.
  5. Hydragarium

No.. again - Server restarts is not something you PLAN. It is something you are FORCED to do.

As for planned patch/hotfix. No - you cannot "delay" it. It isn't an automatic process - you need people present to make sure it runs as intended. It isn't just an automatic wizard.
  6. Veratu SOE

We do our best to be aware of all locations and their "prime time" windows. We address fixes two ways.

1) If the fix can be deployed one region at a time, meaning that there are no code or system level changes that are dependent on other regions, we try to restart those regions when they are not in their prime time, and we spread them out over the course of a 24 hour window.

2) If the change being implemented has to be done across all regions at once, meaning, there is code or system level changes that are dependent on the other regions, then all of them have to be done at once so the code is in sync, then those get done when the dev team is ready to push them. Sometimes this will fall within the prime time of 1 or more regions, sometimes it won't, it just depends on their schedule.

We know no one likes to be kicked off during their prime time, and we try to schedule them so we're not always doing it at the same time, but sometimes it can't be controlled and it just has to be done.
    • Up x 4
  7. SuperSupport

Well said Veratu.
  8. RaZz0R

Thank you Veratu for explaining that as alot of us Aussie gamers also work in IT at high levels as well :)
  9. NovaAustralis

Yeah, cheers for the response Veratu.

I understand the challenges you guys face.
    IT is a tough gig, no other industry has such ridiculous client demands on such a regular basis...

Just wanted to put it out there, that PS2 is global, not USA centric.
  10. Mesdupkilr

Even since beta I have never seen the servers go down (apart from in beta when the servers kept crashing) for patch or fix during US prime time hours. It's seems to be always during EU primetime.

Wouldn't it have been easier just to say?

The development team is US based and therefore work US hours. Most devs need to be in the office when the patch/fix goes in so US off-peak will be when most (but not all) patchs/fixs will be deployed to ensure there are no issues post deployment. We understand this causes issues for players outside the US but at the same time we know if a patch causes issues with the game all players will be locked out until the issue is resolved.