"Weapon Overview: Large Caliber Sniper Rifles" Is bogus.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ArcMinuteLight, Jan 9, 2013.

1. ArcMinuteLight

2. L1ttlebear

I didnt know this mattered...at all
  3. Dulu

They have this part mixed up.

A bullet traveling 300+m/sec is super-sonic, and you would hear the whizz of the bullet, before you would hear the crack of the rifle.

Snipers in real life call this the "Crack/Thump" mechanic.
    • Up x 1
  4. FateJH

Please tell me I'm reading that incorrectly: half a meter caliber. That's not a sniper rifle, that's artillery.
    • Up x 3
  5. TheEvilBlight

We are still assuming that sound in Auraxis' atmosphere travels at 343 m/s through the "air"?
  6. Dulu

Yes, you can time it if you like.

Ah, you changed it! I'm not sure, but I assume - like physics teaches - that things like sound and light travel at universal speeds. Provided we're even in the same universe... But that's another league entirely.
  7. TheEvilBlight

" .50M" probably doesn't refer to the unit of length of 0.5 m, which is half a meter (which would be scary).

Probably an allusion to 12.7mm half-inch wide bullets. Not sure where the capital M comes from. Grr, copy-pasting 0.50M has messed up my formatting...
  8. TheEvilBlight

Then again, there are more interesting rounds like .338 Lapua, which don't make the list? Or Russian 14.5 (and they have their own 12.7mm, to boot).
  9. Pachins

I like the fact that they point out how useless the attachments are.
    • Up x 3
  10. Zyzyx

Well, as a beginning sniper, I didn't want any attachments on my barrel, so they're just saying for THESE rifles you don't want them. I put all my certs into cloak.
  11. Twigifire

How did you get your sniper to have no drop! TEACH ME!
  12. ABATTLEDONKEY

Well thats because the .338 is relatively new to the shooting scene and doesnt have the ominous reputation as the .50, and the russian 14.5 sucks. Devs have to go with that is relatively well known so that it excites people.
    • Up x 1
  13. 13lackCats

14. Dulu

Every 300m is 1 mil dot on your scope. Esamir seems (completely anecdotal) to have less bullet drop. (Possibly simulating high altitude?) The hitbox for the head starts at the top of the clavicle.

Hope that helps a bit.
    • Up x 2
  15. PieBringer

I also like the fact that they emphasized Infiltrators as Snipers, and nothing more.[/Sarcasm]

Words alone can not describe how much I abhor the mutilation of my beloved art of stealth.
    • Up x 2
  16. LameFox

The M is probably just some random thing about the bullet, like .50 BMG (browning machine-gun) IRL, and they've forgot or decided against having a space in there.
  17. Ghostfox

This.

Also, I will note since hit boxes were mentioned... As a note, there seems to be some funky misalignment between the head hit box and the drawn head when firing from above or below at ~60 degree angle.. as in I've seen shots pass through the forehead of the person I shot at but not register but I've hit the same people in the chest and got a head shot.
  18. L1ttlebear

Sound has never traveled at a "universal" speed. Unlike light, whos properties are still not fully understood, sound is nothing more than pressure waves traveling through a material. Sound travels through water at a different speed than air, and it travels through air at higher elevations differently than it does at sea level. The odds of auraxis air allowing sound waves to travel faster than a bullet are minimal but sound does not have a universal speed
    • Up x 2
  19. LameFox

Even light doesn't travel at the same speed universally, 'light speed' is constant in the sense that light in a vacuum travels at that speed.
    • Up x 2
  20. Dulu

We use "Mach Speed" as a measurement, assuming the speed of sound is a set number. Of course, things can have an effect on this.. being in space, being under water, altitude, weather conditions.. but assuming we're at sea level with dry air.. and all else is "normal", sound will travel at 342 m/s,

We're getting into semantics, since obviously there is no "normal", since most of the universe consists of space. But, for us humans, it's safe to assume on our livable planet(s), sound will travel at around 300 m/s.