What Role can SMG's Play on this game?Only way they might be useful is if it gets Strafing buff!!!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ImGladUmad, Jan 8, 2013.

1. ImGladUmad

I don't see what roles they can play to be honest.....The TTK and the ammount of different guns already dont really allow it to fill up a role.

Also their is the question if SMG's gonna be for all classes

I mean LMG/Shotguns= Best at close quarter

LMG/Carbines best a meduim

AR/Snipers best at Long range?...Don't know I never go Long range.

I just don't see the role for this gun.

SMG just feels like it won't provide anything and is just another tactic by SOE to money grab.

Only way SMG might be useful is if it gets a strafing buff for close quarters and ADS........Because Smg's are best for close quarters and SMG's are known for being small and light so a Speed buff for strafing, might actually make it a good gun close quarters.

Please put a strafing buff!!!!!!!!!
  2. PharmD

This game is going down hill.
  3. Process39

Um....Infiltrators.
  4. ImGladUmad

Infiltrators...Seriously?

In that case it will totally need a strafing speed buff.
  5. JudgeDeath

Small guns .. high cap mags ... good accuracy without aiming down sights ... Fast reload ... fast rates of fire lower damage per buller ... Essentially a cqb machine.

What is there not to like ?
  6. ImGladUmad

I don't think is gonna have any edge in hipfire combat over LMG/Shotgun.

RoF might be great and the hipfire accuracy might be good but it will be tough to compete with LMG/shotgun.

So Im hoping some sort of a strafe speed buff, that will make the gun really unique and it will give it a good chance of owning LMG/shotgun.
  7. JudgeDeath

Options .. options are never bad.

Not everyone can rock around with an LMG and atleast vanu shotguns are rather meh.

So here we have another option to setup for cqb for many classes maybe even all classes.

Like I said .. whats bad about having more options ?
  8. ImGladUmad

It has to have it's "thing"....Something the Shotgun has and the LMG has kind of.

I guess Higher RoF and Hipfire accuracy could be their thing but I don't see the hipfire accuracy being much better than the other guns we already have.

So I think the "thing" of the gun should be strafing speed buff, that will be a good advantage in cqb.

and it will be totally unique to SMG's.
  9. Olek

The role of the SMG is already being filled by the carbine, as I said in another thread, an SMG is an automatic carbine, which we already have.
    • Up x 1
  10. ImGladUmad

Thats why faster Strafing.

and maybe even duels?....but I think that will be too OP.
  11. Grotpar

Making SMGs better at strafing than close quarters weapons would be terrible for the game.

Either they are simply faster firing carbines with less range and a guaranteed 0.75x ADS movement modifier.(currently only available to specialized close quarters weaponry and pistols)
    Or they are sidearms with less dps than a pistol, but easier to use.
  12. Jadith

A high rate of fire, high recoil, gun with a decent mag could be a great hold-out spray and pray type weapon for the infiltrator. Good for a kill at close quarters if you dump a clip into them or spray and run, but not much else. It would fill a spot I desperately want on my underplayed infiltrator. The current options just leave me with poor close quarters solutions leaving me hesitant to risk hacking indoor terminals, especially in larger battles.

Anything else is covered nicely by every other gun available at the moment.
  13. Dulu

This is how an SMG performs.

Skip the first 30 seconds, please.

FAST reload, vs. SLOW reload with even the fastest LMG's.
  14. Gypsycream

I assume it will be similar to a carbine but with a better CoF while moving, lower recoil, quick reloads and lower dmg.. Essentially giving you that advantage while strafing in cqc...
  15. icesail

I bet it will be like the AMP pistol in PS1..... Hardly OP, it has its uses, nice as a side arm for a sniper.
    • Up x 1
  16. GamerOS

Fast reload, High ROF, good magazine capacity and good handling for CQC (so good hip fire characteristics) and the fastest moving speed while ADS.
    They'll have quicker damage drop off compared to other weapons and a lower damage to begin with.

The LMG Is a one class only thing, and out of most of them only a couple are really good in CQC.
    Carbines are mostly designed for more medium ranges.

Anyway, the SMG could be available to all classes, kind of like the shotgun (but then also for the Infiltrators.)
  17. wingspan

Their role? A cert and cash sink for suckers. Except for the overpowered one they'll include, which will eclipse the other models with tragic flaws.

What? You don't actually think they learned how to balance guns all of a sudden, did you?
  18. icesail

lol
  19. XanderF

I expect the pistol comparison to be the most apt.

I know the knee-jerk response is 'it was only just announced, we cannot know what they will be like...' But, seriously, how often has SOE added something completely different, with no prior precedent?

I'd look at the Terran TX1 Repeater (pistol) as a pretty good quess what these will be a lot like. Obviously, more ammo storage and probably larger clip, with a 'full auto' mode rather than the burst mode the TX1 is limited to, but...I'd expect this will provide the closest feel to how the SMGs will come out.
  20. Albatross039

I don't see there's a space for SMG while u have a range of different carbines, u can make one SMG like carbine but a new category?
    [IMG]