Time to name the exploiters

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheScapegoat, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Intrinsic

They aren't allowed to name cheaters or exploiters for legal reasons, the lawyers would have a field day.
  2. TheRealTripWire

:| I had no idea this existed, how lame. I wonder if any of the times the client has crashed on me is because of the exploit. Any known uses on Waterson?
  3. Assist

Agreed, but will never happen. SoE doesn't have the balls.
  4. PineSG

It wont happen.. bad idea.... however on the flip side

I would love to hear the percentages of those banned by outfit per server.. or at least the top and bottom..Why

I predict you would see that very few players in large well known/respected did this.. and for many outfits that might even be 0%. PS (2) has a large good commnunity...and outfits ( IMHO) contribute to that stabilty. Outfits want large battles.. we want fair/honest play. And as for OUR outfit (one that I have been with for a DECADE, its not the ban from a game that deters me, its the fear of losing respect within my outfit that drives me and I do think this follows in other large outfits as well)...

Not to mention.. I think an outfit woud like to know if anyone among thier ranks was tarnishing thier reputation
  5. Aghar30

only seen it used once by a TR outfit when they tried to take a bio lab, they failed miserably cause it only hit about half of my platoon, and left me running at full speed, they weren't expecting any resistance so they weren't ready to fight.
  6. Aghar30

Assist, its not a balls thing its a legal thing, naming people publicly to shame them will bring lawsuits like crazy, lawsuits that will most likely be lost by SOE. Slander and Liable are very serious things companies have to be careful about so they don't name anyone they ban.
  7. Nacasatu

Those that did it where not necessarily acting on behalf or with the consent of their outfit. It'll just be used as a tool to trash talk larger more well known outfits. That's not to say it didn't happen like that I'm sure in some cases but given outfits can grow to huge proportions and invites are thrown around so often to random people, they can't be expected to account for all their members all the time.
  8. Dovahkiin

How about ummmmm... no?
  9. DarthXaos

Even better. Post their IP addresses, and if SOE has it on file, their Real Names and Addresses. Let's let the Internet Detectives of the world find them, let their families, employers, and schools know just what kind of scum they are associating with.
  10. Hosp

Naming and shaming on an individual level (while I agree with it) isn't effective as the subjects in question would just make new accounts with new names. Legal (or lack thereof) reasons aside.

HOWEVER, naming outfits that have Repeatedly used exploits/hacks and/or harbored exploiting/hacking members would force the outfits into quality control mode. Wouldn't stop individuals outside of outfits, but it would help clean things up a bit.

I have to specify repeatedly because if they are doing it repeatedly to great effect, they are obviously conscious of it. Whereas in the normal flow of battle, flukes and acts of desperation happen and something can be triggered unconsciously.
    • Up x 1
  11. LittleDi

I have a better idea than banning. Delete their main character.
  12. TheRealTripWire

:| I won't ask how to trigger the exploit but I do want to know if it's difficult. I don't want to accidentally cause others to crash and get accused of exploiting.
  13. RF404

What legal reason could possibly prevent them from publishing a list of made up nicknames?

I would figure that their reason for not publishing it simply is because the exploiters could view such attention as some twisted form of accomplishment. Either that or because they don't want to reveal how many exploiters they actually had in the game.
  14. Intrinsic

It's been the same with every online game ever, i couldn't name one that publicly lists names of cheaters, not even going back to the 90s. They just don't as they'll get screwed by lawyers.
    I think it's along the same sort of lines as say a burglar gets into your house, you catch him and beat the crap out of him, he can do you for GBH. Maybe someone who knows more about this area can comment on which law it is.
  15. Morpholine

Yep, naming and shaming is against the forum TOS for we users.

The OP, however, is asking SOE to publish a list of names and servers, which is quite within their ability to do, should they choose. Smedly has already done so once, with the early banning of a prominent hack distributor and his six alternate accounts.
  16. DarthXaos

Unless you live in a state with "castle law"
  17. Liquid23

no... some games do... there are no legal issues... I could see an argument for libel if maybe they were listing real names not username but even then I doubt it (an it wouldn't matter since any decent size game publishers army of lawyers would stomp their case into the dirt)... most games simply don't because it doesn't achieve anything except to get the community arguing over if specific cases were fair or not and of course there are always mistakes which would make for some bad PR... same reasons almost every forum doesn't allow open discussion of moderation actions...
  18. DankFist

Negative. I agree it won't happen, but it has nothing to do with lawyers. To sum up just about every MMO/FPS/RPG ToS ever the characters you play are merely "borrowed" and they belong solely to the Company so they can do pretty much anything with your characters that they wish and there's now a whole lot you can do about it.

And the only Devs I know of who name-shame on the forums is Rocket and the DayZ team in a thread called "Darwin List: Banned Users".
  19. AlesTwo

I absolutely support the idea that SOE (and SOE alone!) posts a list of people that have been banned for (confirmed) hacking.

There isn't much to loose currently for a hacker, and there isn't much of a hurdle either to do it. You don't loose much and reading that forum makes one feel like SOE is unable to catch hackers anyways. A wall of shame could fix that and give those "maybe" hackers a good impression on what would happen if they try, and outfits a serious reason to kick any cheater right away.
    • Up x 1
  20. Assist

That's not true. Slander and Liable don't effect an account that is created specifically for SoE and is technically owned by SoE still.
    It'd be different if they posted their real names, but legally there is no reason they cannot post character names.