A revive should remove the death score.

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Jac70, Dec 1, 2012.

1. }{ellKnight

I doubt it.

From my perspective you're just screwing over your side because you put too much emphasis on your KDR instead of being a team player, accepting my revive (brought back @ 100% HP) and getting back in the fight. It's silly. PS2 is not BF.

If people stopped accepting revives because of the reason you stated the game would take a massive nose dive in quality.
  2. maxF0NK

With Medic being my preferred class alongside engineer, I actually agree with the OP. This will encourage infantry to not re-spawn straight away and instead allow a medic to revive them within a reasonable time...
  3. irishroy

most of the people think they must keep their K/D as good as possible.
    but as an engineer or medic, you get very often fu****, though you´re trying to help the team...
  4. -=0v3rkill=-

Before I start let me say that the reason I compare this game to battlefield games in my last comment is cause it doesn't take a genius to see that in fact this game is 80% influenced by a battlefield game. No need to be sarcastic making it sound I think this is battlefield. Anyway, going back to the medic problem, from what I'm starting to see in the battlefield, people don't like to be revived by medics anymore. Cause they know about this. Some still don't know and believe me the day they find out they are going to stop accepting every single revive. Like I said I always decline every single revive and also my friends do to. Cause we rather respawn in a safe place with more ammo. That makes the medic useless in that way. I only use medics when I'm hurt and I need a heal. But, revive? Hell no. That's why I keep asking please make the medic able to remove that death penalty. I am not saying that the guy that killed you doesn't get the kill. He did pwnd you after all. If not just remove the revive all together and let them heal and that's it. Cause I don't see the purpose of been revive then. Oh and this is for who ever claims that ratio ain't important. Stop pretending you don't care cause we all do. You ain't fooling any1.
    • Up x 1
  5. }{ellKnight

Sorry but I'll have to disagree. Personally I think the reason why more veteran people are declining revives is not because it doesn't remove a death, it's because the game doesn't tell them how much HP will they get after getting back up (bad game design) and most people don't have level 5 or 6 applicator (personally advise every dedicated medic to get level 6 ASAP, it makes a HUGE difference) or don't even heal after the revive (which is the thing that upsets me the most about low tool level medics, if you pick the guy up please make sure you bring him back to fighting form, 10% health isn't fighting form).

And I re-iterate: KDR isn't important for me. I like to support my outfit in any way I can, the thing that makes me have a good time is playing with them. If I cared for KDR I'd sit in a tank/lib/mossy all day.
  6. SinerAthin

I like this idea.

It encourages people to defend their medics - even if it gets themselves killed, rather than stand back and let the medic die and then kill the assailant while he's distracted.

It will encourage people to push harder in infantry fights, knowing that if they do well, they will get revived, rather than sit back and pick enemies off to keep a nice K/D ratio.

And of course, the killer will get to keep his kill, but the injured soldier will be spared a death.

We're not talking about you, me, or any single individual here, or whether or not you care about your K/D.

We are talking about the gameplay the game itself encourages by default amongst its gamers through reward, and how to improve it.
    Many players will, as a general rule, move towards the playstyle that rewards them the most, and therefore you want the game to promote a fun and enjoyable play.
  7. Laika

This.
    I don't care about leadercharts and K/D ratio. I'm also to old for this. I,m 52 and after my RL work as a traindriver i want some fun. The last game i realy played like hell that was Tribes 1 in 1998. After that i took my pension for real serious gaming
  8. Etcher

One thing that I don't get is why there is a kdr in the first place. It really should be points earned to death ratio because it encourages people to not play sportively. You don't get as many kills when your repairing, reviving or supporting through other methods besides killing the other team. You do get experience from helping your teammates besides killing, but killing gives you experience too. Some people also have ocd, so they can't help but feel like they suck at the game despite helping the team through other ways. KDR is bad for self esteem for some people and bad morale can make you worse at the game. Its basically an outdated score system that we are still using for all of these years without a noteable change.
  9. -=0v3rkill=-

well lets agree to disagree cause I can only speak about what I see on the battlefield. About the k/d ratio...like I said I will always believe that we all do care about it. Some pretend not to cause they have no choice, their ratio is bad and it ain't easy to have a good ratio. Not saying this is you. you probably pwn more than me at this game. I, at the moment, I'm having a very hard time. My ratio is really bad. Cause I made the mistake in believing this game will remove a death when you get revived. So I was playing a bit more reckless, like not caring for ratio so much. Anyway my ratio right now is Like 0.9. Ive been fixing it for a week now. Caring for ratio makes me a better player every time I play. Good ratio of at least 1.5 says to me this guy cares about doing things the right way without dying. Not caring for ratio encourages doing stupid suicidal missions and rolling over every1 with their tanks without caring.

dude lets stop for a second and think that what I'm asking is not that bad. People WILL love you for being a medic if you will save them from that death added to their stats. Cause it is hard as it is to have a good ratio. I don;t know how easy it is for those that pay for the game. But, as a free player? it ain't easy. So why not have that medic that can make things easier by removing that penalty? That's all I got to say about this. If this doesn't convince you I don't know what will and I rather go play than to sit here typing so laters dude
  10. }{ellKnight

Fair enough. See you on the battlefield.
  11. IshanDeston

Oh yes it does.

1) I play primarily a medic
    2) I have to suffer through childish elitism much more when people brag about their 100:1 KDR, ommitting that they actually died 10 times before they even got a single kill, except that they got revived each time.

So honestly, if you are a person that does CARE about KDR, you should oppose the very notion that a Rezz removed a Death, because at this point KDR becomes meaningless. Or at least much more meaningless as it is right now.

For we have no idea how the person currently got their KDR, which they might very well have been farming all day long with a liberator or some rocketpods or anything like that.

But as it is, having a revive remove a death on the score of a person does make KDR obsolete, because its a balant lie. You died 10 times before getting a single kill, that doesn't turn your KDR into a 10:1 rating. It turns your KDR into a 1:10 rating. Just because you happen to have been revived, doesn't mean you didn't kiss the dirt.

If its now revive, recitate or a manely broslap with a pinch in their bum, doesn't really matter. The point is... if KDR is supposed to have any meaning, it has to be a proper reflection of what actually is happening. So if you want Revives to effect the Score, have it be reflected in the score like this:

Kills, Deaths, Assists, Revives. That way people can do the math themselves, but fact remains. If you get killed you kiss the dirt and that kiss has to be in your Score, because you kissed the dirt.

No it doesn't. It encourages false bravado and people flinging themselves at the enemy just to get a kill. Instead of playing as if their life actually mattered. They won't jump in a room full of the enemy to kill a single person, because the medic outside will remove that kill from their Score.

Its in noones interest to implement this. People that care should care about the purity of the KDR, and it being an actual reflection of skill and prowess, and not just some self deluding statistic that means nothing because all you need to do is get a rezz to have your KDR padded.

And the people that don't care about it, will not have to suffer from more level 1 Medics to rezz people with 25% because they are "team playing", nor does it thin your offensive ranks because 5 of the 6 Heavies charge head first, with a shotgun, at the enemy, after all there is a medic nearby to pad their stats. And then remain on the ground for extended periods of time, so that your whole offensive looses momentum because half the team is waiting for that rezz that never comes.

I rather have the guys that care for their KDR rating only take those risks they can handle and only bite off as much as they believe they can chew.

And it most certainly doesn't encourage teamplay. Right now people that care for their KDR need to depend on their teammates for protection and work together with them if they want to have a better chance. Without that, you will find people be much more recklessly and stop caring about their teammates, as long as that rezz comes their risks won't matter anyway, fruitful or not.
  12. Johan

I, like many others, will refuse to take the medic revive and choose the safer option of a sunderer or spawn. Why take the revive over these other options unless it's the only one? I don't get ammo and grenades with a revive? and if you think it's to help the empire out .....LOL

Medics need help and my above statement is one of the reasons why.

Death needs to be removed with a revive.
  13. }{ellKnight

Well yeah.... I'd rather have dudes fighting on my side than being the only guy standing in a pile of bodies where nobody accepts the rez because they value their KDR more than helping out and winning the fight even though there's an engineer that could provide ammo if he accepts the rez and they're brought back at 100% HP.

Attacking would fall flat on it's face if everybody did that, because it would be only a matter of time till you're pushed back to your sundy (no revives) and the enemy destroys it.
  14. Cross

Well said. People want to think they are better than they actually are. When the in game stats start to work, the data over time and trend of one's KDR should be more important than the actual number. If deaths don't count then it becomes inflated. You won't be able to learn or actually get better as effectively.

Stats and leaderboards need a way to sort by kills as infantry and kills in a vehicle.

As for revives, I decline if the situation warrants it, not because of a stat. Most the time a medic revives me I am out of ammo, grenades, and medpacks. Or they revive me within close proximity to a spawn point. There have been times where there is no spawn point and accepting the revive means I will probably die quickly-- but I do so to help my team. Death stat and all.

Leave the death stat.
  15. IshanDeston

We don't. We do amazingly well.

-Signed a dedicated Medic
  16. Talinthis

i dont care i just accept the revive and usually get more kills i got a pretty poor K/D ratio but ive only played for a couple hours so far. anyone who cares about a stat that much i feel sorry for.
  17. Loziak

If killed, 1 death pt added to your stats.
    If revived, death pt should be removed (Killer keeps his kill point)

That's how it should be.
    Killer still gets rewarded and Player being revived is rewarded for bringing/having a medic by his side. Smart.

Gives more purpose to the medic (an already rare class to see in the game compared to other classes). Also gives a reason for other classes to have the medic around for stat and strategical purposes, and makes the medic's purpose feel that much more valuable and none of it takes away from the killer's advantage of obtaining more kill points.

Reviving players in a heavily combated area where the players just keep having their death pts rack up makes no sense, there's no benefit to the player at a certain point to accept a revival from a medic anymore, might as well re spawn elsewhere in which case a squad's objective may not be achieved (example: trying to capture a heavily guarded base, you start contemplating whether to save your stats by spawning further or help the squad by accepting a revival and risk more death pts added to your stats).

A revival is supposed be exactly that, where a player can stand back up and say "I'm up b*tches cause I brought a medic along with me, I never left!"
  18. Rhumald

Having a rez remove your death count makes sense for a game where your death has the potential to remove you from the match: what it's really counting is the ratio by which you became completely useless to your team, or made others completely useless to theirs.

In a game like this, that is completely team oriented, it doesn't. What it's counting is how many times you have died, and how many times you have killed; as both sides have the ability to resurrect their team mates, this makes the fact that it counts killing the same person over and over towards your KD and dying over and over towards your KD 100% fair.

you may not like it, but tough, some things in life don't come easy; farming other players has the side effect of getting farmed yourself, and allowing another player to farm you for certs has it's consequences, that you deserve to have reflected on you.

Don't "fix" what isn't broken.

As a side note, where this topic seems to have turned to the "usefulness" of a medic: I've had points lost because there were no medics to back our team up, I've also gained points simply because we had medics to back us up, and the opponents didn't think it was necessary; in a well organized squad, every man has their purpose, resurrecting you gets you back on the field, to where the action is (with full health too, from a good medic) faster than anything else ever will.
  19. Kriesha

If you really want deaths removed, make a third category: Revived. So medics can how much of your KD is their doing :)
  20. Ubikuuu

Would be easier if the "deaths" were to be increased only as you click the "redeploy" button.

I agree that the KD should not matter.
    But it is a FACT that for many people it does.

So I am in for this change.
    • Up x 1