Kill the K/D Statistic. It's killing Planetside. Seriously. It's time to Reevaluate The Effect.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by inigma, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MaxDamage

I read it perfectly thankyou.
    KDR does not affect the "entire game's playerbase".
    The effects you speak of are a result of cert grind and NOTHING to do with K/D.
    KD is a statistic, a measurement, nothing more.
    It does not tell you to do things, you have free will, exercise it and ignore if yours hurts your pride or feelings.

How other people choose to enjoy the game, playing competitively in their own preferred field, focusing on killing is absolutely no concern of yours whatsoever. They will do so with or without such statistics, however less people will play, as the game would be seen to be pandering to newbies like yourself.

If anything we should have MORE statistics available.
    • Up x 2
  2. Acuta

Would love to see K/D separated by air, armor, and infantry. Would show the derps real fast....
  3. PrincessFrosty

Actually I'd have to say what has the biggest effect on people not endlessly throwing themselves at the enemy with little regard for their own safety is the move towards having Exp earn certs, at this stage MOST players have a strongly invested interest in earning certs and therefore are after as much exp/hr as possible, most of the good players know that protecting K:D by being careful also creates a higher cert/hour in the long run, careful players earn more certs than easy kills.

And doing things like camping at Biolab entrances is preferable to taking the base, because the base is a lousy 1k of exp before bonuses, it's simply better to keep kill farming. Removing K:D will literally do nothing to peoples play styles, and anyone who cares about stats and who looks at sites like PSUs stat page can have that ratio calculated for them using the total number of kills and deaths making it impossible to remove entirely anyway.
  4. weebeep

PS1 did have a KD option
    • Up x 1
  5. Jimmy DeSouza

If you have a terrible KD, you arent good. Saying "Oh but I play the objective bla bla bla" is a **** excuse. If you were really playing the objective, you would face defence. If that defence kills you (which it likely will seeing as your KD is terrible) then you are no longer playing the objective because you are a corpse.

KD is a measure of how well you can stay alive, staying alive is 100% neccessary to capping.
    • Up x 1
  6. ThreePi

In reality, removing KDR would just mean that some other point ***** will replace killwhores. You already see people trying to make ******* revives for God knows what reason

If anything, they should make the kill/death stats even more transparent. Someone wants to brag about a 8:1 kdr, only for it to turn out he has like a 0.8 infantry KDR and a 7.2 vehicle KDR then we can all shame him for just being a bad player who farms easy kills.

Fact of the matter is, you need to kill your way from one base to another. Reviving, healing, and repairing mean nothing without someone on the other end killing things. Hell, recon darts don't even get spot bonuses (on the off chance they actually work).
    • Up x 2
  7. Restoned

LOL, you take my words waaaay out of context bro. I was simply trolling the troll who was telling other pilots who were just learning to fly that they suck because they picked the dogfighting airframe. Don't take my words and paste them up on other peoples posts and then play Dr. Phil with my quotes. Hence the trolololo at the end of my post. Sheesh
  8. JWizzle

"Several". I only count two, HA and MAX. Both are capable of eliminating vehicles/air, which reward points. The stupid ball is back in your court.
  9. Metsuro

Heavy, Light, Infil, Max.

Might need to go over those figures again.
  10. KodanBlack

You hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD! It's far more annoying than those morons that walk in front of you when you're putting down a constant stream of ammunition, or the inconsiderate bone heads that stop directly in the way of other spawning vehicles leaving the ramp.
  11. KodanBlack

You hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD! It's far more annoying than those morons that walk in front of you when you're putting down a constant stream of ammunition, or the inconsiderate bone heads that stop directly in the way of other spawning vehicles leaving the ramp.
  12. Ostekake

/sign
  13. pnut

K/D ratio and all the stats are good. The more the merrier.
    Relative to PS1:
    - Capping bases is too quick
    - Capping bases is mostly just a bunch of tanks spamming the spawn points (lame)
    - Skilled close quarter shooting is non existent due to the large delay in mouse reaction and low frames per second
    - Cool tactics like gal drops, back door drops, gen drops, etc are non existent (each base is just taken by having superior numbers zerging and/or tank spam)

Want people working as a team more? Rushing in?
    Many, many things need to change.
    But these changes won't really fit the business model.
  14. Flarestar

This thread should be forever sticky'd as a monument to how people can completely misunderstand core problems with a game. 29 pages now for an argument with a ridiculous premise.
    • Up x 3
  15. LordMondando

Its not the only one either.
  16. Banick

Everyone does what gets them the most EXP - ergo certs. As it currently stands removing the K/D ratio visually won't stop the behaviour of inf farming.

I know no-one who rages about K/D, it's all about exp/certs.
    • Up x 1
  17. DarkFire507

K/D might seem pointless, but some people just want a high k/d to show to their friends. Remove it, and those people will stop trying to keep it high for show.
  18. Sethyboy0

As a person who comes from playing TF2 and not luck based shooters like CoD, I have not checked my K/D once.

The problems you see in this game are due to cert grind, not K/D ratio.

People do what earns them certs, which is killing. When you are dead you are not killing, and not earning certs.
    • Up x 1
  19. Kracken

I have one account on Connery. NC .89, Vanu 2.5 and TR 3.1.

KD is useless though, as on my NC we focus on taking hexes and I could care less about the KD. In fact in my division I state go somewhere else if you care about KD. Now if I'm on my TR or Vanu it's to try out weapons or just to LOL at the easy mode weapons.
  20. Kracken

They might even leave the Crown.....