[Suggestion] Amerish is the best and worst continent. Lets remove the bad parts so people will play on it.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by innociv, Jan 6, 2013.

1. innociv

I ask some people where they think the best infantry fights are, and they usually name places on Amerish. Splitpeak pass, Auraxis Firearms, Lithcorp Mining to name a few.

Lots of players of this game also express their desire for more infantry focus, and that's there on Amerish. So why isn't Amerish the favored map?
    Well, to start out with, I hated it. All those winding roads effectively makes the continent feel twice as big as it really is, and I would often go the wrong way. Of course, that's not an issue now, but lots of people don't even play Amerish enough to see the good parts.

Those awesome spots people name are also pretty useless. You only fight at Lithcorp when Vanu is about to get collared. There isn't an actual strategic advantage to Auraxis Firearms or Splitpeak.

So, I thought what is needed is to condense things. Strip out the bad, and we're just left with good. Add some even better on top of that(See: proposed Tumas Tech).

[IMG]
    Here is a larger version where you can see things in detail. And here has my suggestion overlayed on the old one, thus you can see what has changed where it is blurry.
    Breakdown:
    -The Middle Mountain is larger.
    -Heyoka Tech has been removed.
    -Onatha Bio Lab has been removed. 1 small base have been removed from the East in addition.(Silver Valley Arsenal)
    -Wokuk Amp has been removed. 3 small bases have been removed from the West in addition. (Deepcore Platinum Mining, West Pass Watchtower, Genudine Physics Lab)
    -Kwahtee Amp is now where Heyoka Tech was.
    -Sungrey(miswritten as Sungary) has been moved further south. There is now mountains straddling it. Previously, the satellite bases to the east and west of Sungrey where infantry farm dispensers instead of actual tactical advantages for attacking, but now they are nestled close to the mountain. Crux Headquarters is now a large satellite base for the new Mekala Tech. is no longer easily traversable from warp gates, and must be approached from the south or the large NC bridge.
    -2 small bases to the north have been removed(North Grove Post, The NC Arsenal)
    -2 small bases have been added. (One where Kwahtee Amp used to be, one where Tumas Tech was with cannons/towers protecting from the west, )
    -Chimeny Rock is gone, or moved south if you will. Tumas Tech is now there, nestled in the now larger mountain which offers a bigger gap in that spot, with a large bridge from Raven Landing extending over the Tumas Tech pad.
    I did a little mock up of kind-of-sort-of how Tumas Tech could end up:
    [IMG]
    Click for larger.
    -Xelas Bio lab, one of the best bases ever, now gets more attention by being right between NC and TR, with the only path to it being a road from Splitpeak, instead of the 3 roads it had before.
    -AuraxiCom Substation is now removed. Auraxis Firearms is now across from splitpeak, and in a central location, almost gauranteeing lots of good fights there. (Auraxis Firearms is awesome because of sheer cliffs on four sides, and then just one bridge to get to it. AuraxiCom wasn't very fun because it was a small base surrounded by open fields)
    -A few roads have been removed besides the ones that would go to removed territory. Amerish ARX Reserve no longer leads to where Sungrey was, forcing people toward the center mountain. There is no longer a road from TR and NC warp gate toward Xelas.

I'd also like to see some teleporters on the three bases on the mountain that teleport from the center of the buildings to somewhere closer to the next one. Controlling all 3 should allow you to teleport around the mountain to hit/defend the areas around the mountain(Of which there are more of, with many things having been moved toward the center, and lots of territory on the edges removed).

Yeah, things like tunnels would be nice, but I don't think the engine supports them. I also thought of moving Lithcorp to replace both teritories south of it, along those twin passes, but believe or not I tried to keep some restraint so there weren't too many changes.

I'm not sure if it's a lot to ask for, to change up the design of a continent like this, but Amerish really has problems and needs something done. It has these really amazing areas that I'm absolutely in love with, and I'm bored of Indar, but no one wants to deal with the bad parts of it.
    • Up x 6
  2. Nephera

>Removed all the airspace resource territories

oh ho ho i see what you did.
    • Up x 3
  3. ecomizombi

Amerish would be good if the factions fought there. Instead they take turns ghosts capping. All it would take is 2 galaxies on all 3 sides (6 gals) worth of people to make red combat zones for others to drop into
    • Up x 2
  4. Wobberjockey

interesting.

the idea of a tech plant that you can easily assault from above, as infantry, intregues me
    • Up x 1
  5. LameFox

The thing I hate most about Amerish is that neither infantry nor vehicles can traverse hills worth a damn.
  6. innociv

Well, resources would obviously need to be adjusted, BUT Amerish is rather air dominated so I frankly think it shouldn't have many of those. I dread capping the SW just for those air resources. Do you disagree, or where you just pointing that out? Removing roughly 55 air resources from Amerish, especially when they're so far from NC, seems fine to me. Could maybe make The Ascent give 15, though.

The center mountain area actually has lots of infantry-only paths between those bases. The problem is, no one cares much about the center of the map. They just cap it and move on. Not many people have come to find all these wonderful things about Amerish, because there are some bad things.

And I did remove a lot of those roads, like one of the worst ones was leading to the West Pass Watchtower, above Wokuk Amp, and it's gone in my suggestion.

There is far more focus to the center, and most of surrounding the mountain is open area. So, I picture there will be mostly traveling around that center, with the only winding roads left being chokes that make warpgate defending easier.

Yeah :D This is my favorite change next to removing lots of the edge territories.
    Think how vital it is to get a beacon up there, what with what death traps those two doorways are. I would actually put the shield gen inside on this base.(They got moved to the outside on a recent patch, making Tech Labs something people hate to defend instead of hate to attack)
  7. ecomizombi

Checking the map and using the enlarged min map help. Also those mountain roads protect your armor columns from air attacks. Theyre tight and provide cover on 2 sides.
  8. Mold1184

I would love to see less square maps. Amerish has some really awesome looking bases.. to bad you never get to fight at them.
    • Up x 1
  9. LameFox

Actually those are fantastic for providing my plane cover while it attacks armour columns.

Not sure what you mean about the map and minimap. I'm not getting lost, I just hate having so much terrain I can't ever use because my soldier is crippled and my tank thinks it weighs ~50kg and is driving on ice.
  10. Llaf

Actually quite the opposite, once you're spotted its easy pickings because you have nowhere to run until you can get into the open again. Air units have until then to pick you off, and the roads are so long they can usually just take their time. Those valleys are death traps, any choke is really.
    • Up x 1
  11. BlamTown

I honestly miss when it was only indar. People didnt run off and leave an empty continent if they started losing.. there was always a resistance.
  12. innociv

I think their engine has a 6x6km limit. All the maps are around that if you count the out of combat zones(really 5^2 to 5.5^2 of fighting space). So they made the most of it by making them square.

But on Amerish, all the mountains and such effectively make it larger by increasing travel time by ground, which makes it the perfect candidate to not be square, and instead be this sort of Y shape.

I was going to suggest to add more over hanging rocks for air cover like: http://www.abload.de/img/planetside2-2012-11-25mera.jpg off in the distance, hanging over roads. Or if we had some rockets over the roads to make them into tunnels. Trying to not make my wish list TOO big, though. I really want that new Tumas tech, Sungrey, and some outer territories removed most of all.
  13. Nephera

I was just making a joke really.
  14. ecomizombi

i guess i should known better. Im in the minority when its comes to jumping in my passenger gun and taking down/scarring away libs and ESF's. Personally, those mountain paths become tunnels for my bullets to hit aircraft. who can only hit me from the front or rear (or above if a lib operator is feeling brave)
  15. MykeMichail

Leave the current maps alone.

There will be more in the future which I'm sure will fill specific niches.
  16. innociv

Well, the mountains and rocks do give you less line of sight for attacking aircraft. They get to chose their line to attack, and can turn into another one when you can't hit back. But, It also can be hard to land for repair on Amerish unlike the flat canyon tops of Indar, so it's not so bad.

I get that, but I'd still rather them be as good as they can be.

Amerish has some great parts, it's a shame about the not so great parts.

What often comes up in a discussion of "Maybe we'll get a new continent that's good for Infantry" is "Well, there are parts of Amerish that are perfect, it's just there's the rest of it." Don't see why we need a whole new one to try to get it right when Amerish is close to being right. Like this here; http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/...t_know_how_else_to_put_thisi_want_to_play_in/
  17. Monnor

To answer this, no they will not , because there is no crown.
  18. innociv

The mountain in the middle would become like a much bigger crown, I think. :D I was trying to focus on it by changing its surroundings instead of doing something arbitrary.
  19. LameFox

The advantage isn't being in the paths, it's that I can hop in, strafe something, and zip over the wall again. It's a million times better than an open plain where flak will follow me for miles (well, hundreds of metres).
  20. UberBonisseur

It's kind of sad that NO ONE fights at the bastion.

At first glance, it's supposed to be a key position ala The Crown which opens a shortcut for a large part of the map, but apparently no.

Anyway great post.
    Amerish suffered from the triple foothold-warpgate design and square geometry. Or maybe it's the capture mechanics as a whole that do not justify capturing/defending surrounding outposts.
    Influence or Resources usually do not matter either way, so you are not fighting for those places.