Warp gate rotations.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hashi, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Pannath

Alright, I apologize, I didn't mean to come off rude and I didn't realize you hadn't played the original game. I'll explain what I meant more in depth while addressing your point about balance and see if I can explain how it would work.

Currently there are 3 continents. The fact that they've named the starting areas warp gates (like in the original) leads me to believe they will implement what I've been talking about. Right now the warp gates are just being treated as factional bases on each continent. I believe this is temporary since they didn't launch with all the continents they were going to use for the game, since there were quite a few more on Auraxis in the first game, and the continents still have the same names.

The goal of the game is a big war for control of the planet. Right now you can only control a continent, and control of one continent does not affect another, besides the percentage cheaper purchasing bonus.

As I understand it you want to rotate who controls which warp gates on each planet because you believe that some warp gates positions give them a better strategic location to take over the map.

In the first game each of the 3 factions had their own head quarters, these head quarters were not located on any of the continents, they were their own map, they had 1 or 2 warp gates in each headquarters. The purpose of a warp gate was to warp from one place to another. But you could not use a warp gate you did not control.

Each faction could pass from their headquarters through the warp gates they had their to fixed locations, so 2 continents. They would then start taking territory like you do in planetside 2. When they came to another warp gate on the continent they were fighting on that warp gate if taken would warp them to a fixed other continent. So say your headquarters had a permanent link to Indar. You go to indar, there are 2 other warp gates there, one links to say Esamir and the other to another continent that isn't out yet. You take territory on Indar up to the Esamir gate and then take the gate. You now can warp to Esamir and have control of the Indar gate on Esamir. You also have the option of the other warp gate on Indar too to lock out the map and progress wherever it goes.

Right now in planetside 2 you can spawn on any continent. Your faction has a fixed base that can't be taken. It's really just personal preference which continent you choose to go to.

When the continents are linked you won't be able to do that. You can spawn at your headquarters or at the front line on a continent you control where the fighting is, or a warp gate on continents you control. Sometimes some continents will be fully controlled and there will be no reason to go there, noone can attack them because they don't have a territorial border linking them to the continent.

There will be clear front lines of battle. You will have a better reason to hold territory and take territory. To increase your factions control, or defend against an incursion. Because you could actually get pushed off a continent.

In this way you will not have to worry about the top warp gate somewhere always belonging to one faction. The warp gates will not be fixed bases. They are GATES which WARP you to other continents. You need to assault and take these gates to get the power to move your forces to the next continent.

In doing this, Planetside 2 will become an actual war. It will really matter in game where assaults are happening, and what people are doing.

Right now they weren't able to do this because there were only 3 continents at launch, you can't make the gates permanently link to specific continents when they aren't all in. And with 3 continents only it would end too quickly.
    • Up x 1
  2. Hashi

Thanks a lot for that man. Honestly, I like that idea so much more. It makes it so balance in terms of location is constant and in turn, no-one gets an advantage on one continent. I actually read it again because I couldn't believe the level of detail that had been put into the first game. I can see why vets aren't liking this release as much now! But yeah, I'm all board for this definitely. I just wish right now that we didn't have to deal with this though. If they could do something like rotations up until the time they release more continents, I'd be more than happy. I just want every faction to start off clean with cert points and resources only depending on skill and tactics not advantages another faction cannot attain. But yeah, I'm totally up for this and it sounds like it would truly make this game the one I'd been dreaming of for years !
    • Up x 1
  3. Blaank

Weekly rotations till more stuff gets put it. I'd love not having that broken lift on the NC Indar defense tower.
  4. Hashi

As of now, until we get the ETA on the other continents I'll have to agree. It just doesn't seem right keeping this advantage for one faction and I'd hate to have this game dying because of it. People rage all the time about how the NC don't keep any foothold and it just sucks knowing that people will 4th faction us for this reason. I barely see any players playing as mainly TR and NC or VS and NC. It's almost always TR and VS.
  5. Hashi

6. Hashi

will bump till they read.
  7. jackrandom

I've been wanting this for over 3 weeks now, it's really boring playing the same terrain over and over. My server is also not a high pop or even medium pop, so all the player base is on Indar.

As NC, I'd love to have VS or TR spot on the map, VS have a +30 air at there front doorstep and they have the option of fighting over territories in 360 direction. Canyon fighting doesn't allow that same kind of advantage when you can only attack in 2 points.

The closes +30 air for NC is almost in the center of the map. I just wish every other faction would have the experience of the NC warp gate.
    • Up x 1
  8. Hashi

The VS had it back in beta, they cried many days
  9. jackrandom

I don't blame them one bit, it sucks.
  10. KiddParK

In it's current state, yes, the warpgates should rotate. In a perfect world, there should be sancs and the ability to lock etc. but right now, every month.. switch the gates so we can hang out at other bases and see some new territory.
    • Up x 1
  11. failbot

Sounds good. Then VS and TR can push NC into nothing like you do everyday to us.
  12. ViXeN

I like the idea of warp gate rotations!
  13. Bloodskull

14. Linedan

+1. If we're going to keep getting repeatedly gated on Indar as the NC on Mattherson do, at least let me get pushed back into some different terrain. I haven't been north or west of J908 on my NC character since beta.
  15. Zorlox

well, i'm not going to agree with the op's reasons why it should be rotated but a rotation would be nice, unless they plan on having some form of intercontinental lattice system (which has been talked to death already) that lets you cap warpgates, excluding 1 uncap each. This would pretty much fix the static part.
  16. ecomizombi

but nobody leaves Indar? they cant fill 3 continents, why would they add more?
  17. Nephera

I would like rotations.
  18. Tobax

They are adding more conts (3 currently being made) because the idea is to fully own a cont including capturing all the warpgates on that cont (another coming change) which then locks it to enemy for X hours, this enables people to move on to another cont instead of camping a warpgate. Which cont people move to will depend on what you own as each warpgate is linked to one on another cont which may or may not be locked creating more metagame and more tactical play. Bottom line of the idea is to get people moving around instead of camping one cont which creates bigger and better fights.
  19. Liquid23

TR warpgate needs to be "rotated" to THE CROWN!
  20. Hashi

So no information on what they're are doing balance wise, Hopefully they read these threads some more.