Why is Planetside 2 losing so many players?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jdono67894, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cl1mh4224rd

Actually, being a monopoly in a legal sense doesn't require "no competition". Also: "On April 3, 2000, a judgment was handed down in the case of United States v. Microsoft, calling the company an "abusive monopoly"; it settled with the U.S. Department of Justice in 2004." (link)
  2. Liquid23

eh that was the same BS as when Kmart pulled it against Walmart... in either case it was never ruled that they WERE actually monopolies only that they were getting damn close to the legal definition of one and abusing that position so something had to be done which iirc was, in both cases, making them turn over a few locations and subsidiaries ... not that it mattered in either case as both companies still controlled the majority of their respective markets afterward

but none of that matters as Microsoft is not legally or by definition a Monopoly and you DO have other choices to use instead of it ... which was the point I was making to rebutt his silly notion that Microsoft wasn't a valid example of a successful business that doesn't follow "the customer is always right"
  3. Spookydodger

Everytime my friend plays the game, I see him start it on Steam. I didn't download it via Steam, just had it open for other reasons.
  4. ViXeN

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The end is near!!

Sorry, had to do it. LOL
  5. Spookydodger

1) stop spawning in bases camped by the enemy
    2) *shrug*
    3) flank them with a shotgun or engage at range with a rocket.
    4) Yes, bad call on the part of the marketing wonks. I'm not going to blame the devs for it.
  6. miraza

- being farmed by air, liberators should be like ps1
    - cert gain too slow
    - territorial conquest should be like ps1, people just smash one zerg into another, the map doesn't really matter that much. make it like ps1 where you have a home continent and you have to fight towards a warpgate to get access to other continents. then it might actually matter
    - too many crashes

i like the game and hope it succeeds but the devs picked a bad time to go on vacation with the game in the state its in. too many of my friends have quit and i've basically resorted to flying around by myself or playing on different faction alts to check out their guns and vehicles to keep myself interested
  7. Cl1mh4224rd

(I know this is all way off-topic, but I just can't let misinformation go unchecked...)

Incorrect. Microsoft was found to be a monopoly in the PC operating system market in 2000 by the United States District Court for the District of Columbia in the Court's Finding of Fact:

You can argue that they're no longer a monopoly and I might even agree with that, but don't try to tell people they were never "ruled" a monopoly; it's just wrong.

Also, there's nothing inherently illegal about monopolies. That's another widespread misconception.
  8. Zorlox

most games are pretty much on a downward slope from day 1, they reset that slope with expansions, massive patches, bonus something weekends and so on. But a downward slope doesn't mean the game is anywhere near dead, else WoW would have died years ago. If you want an example of a dead game go play ps1. :) I'd say the main thing hurting the game atm is low pop servers, it's hard to have any kind of fun at that point, bugs and issues or not.
    plenty of games do that, especially bigger devs, they even track your in game progress. I also guarantee SOE does it, which should be obvious to most people. Though the most popular and least intrusive method used now is achievements in most types of games, but mp fps devs tend to track stats on pretty much everything you do. They're almost all creepy uncles at this point though some are creepier than others.
  9. miraza

some games go up with time. league of legends is free to play and is substantially bigger than it was at release. there is a genuine trend of people leaving the game for the reasons i and others have stated; most of my friends i started playing the game with have basically stopped playing.

whitewashing the stats with 'oh theres a downward slope to everything' is outright false, the problems with the game should be acknowledged so they can be fixed and more people start playing again
  10. Draxo

Every time I get blown up by a LIberator which I am completely helpless against even with SC (real money) bought AA I lose a little more will to log in.

At this point I am waiting for the fabled patch. My decision to remain with this game may very well depend on the balance changes that this patch needs. This is no longer a want or petty desire.
  11. Moxin

Most companies, schools, universities are using Microsoft products. There is alternative software out there but it is not used that much in comparison to microsoft. Apply for a job and you need to know at least basics with the microsoft office package.
  12. Liquid23

eh see that's being found on when filtered through court opinion and a ton of BS legalese... it's also nice to note no where in that does it actually state that it is a monopoly (and by the definition of the word it isn't) only that it could exercise monopoly like power which is enough in the courts to bring the verdict... they basically got charged with "attempted monopoly" ... but none of that matters as we all know because the definition of words can be twisted to mean completely different things from their actual definition (legal or standard) depending on the courts opinion

but you are right we are getting way off topic here lol

again that doesn't make it a monopoly... just very very successful and popular.. besides the simple fact it maintained the same exact business practices to get to the point of being this large and successful proves my original point

the whole "the customer is always right" BS is not the key to a successful business... it's just something you tell very low level customer service employees so they don't argue with customers and make you look bad ... any company that actually followed that saying whole heatedly wouldn't last a quarter... go find me a business that truly follows "the customer is always right" and tell me cause I wanna go there and tell them I think all their products should be free... lol
  13. jackrandom

I think as population decreases it causes other players to leave the game, my server is now a very low pop server and it drives me away to not want to play the game. This is a large scale game and with a small pop it's just not very fun and I've already invested to much time into a character to be motivated to start a new character. I still log in for few hours on the weekend to play a little bit, but for the most part I'm waiting until this next patch to see if it's going to make or break my stay.

Regardless if my server doesn't have population I just wont play though... Can't have large scale combat with no pop.
  14. Max_Damage

Several reasons:

-Air domination. Get into a tank, get blown up by 23 liberators. Respawn? get blown up by roflpods 10 meters away from spawn room. Jet **** rule this game. Same as bf 3 on maps with jets(and no tunguska lol).
    -Vanu is overpowered from lmgs and carabines to jets and tanks.
    -The game is boring. A lot of running.
    -the game is laggy. I can play bf3 with fps never below 50 (usually 100, sometimes 200). this runs on 20-40. 20-40 fps is unplayable. fps below 50-60 is bad for gameplay.
    -maybe some more i forgot, havent played for a while. Ah yes cert points. earned too slow (greedy developers).
  15. badname02

The game isn't laggy at all. Learn what the word lag means and what it's been used for in gaming since... ever.
    It's getting annoying for others to figure out when people are talking about ''lag'' (real lag) or ''fps drops\issues''. You're talking about the latter, not lag. In your case it's easy to figure out but still: try and use the correct terms =p
  16. Dakkaface

Yes actually. When Airside 2/World of Liberators gets too frustrating (which is usually about 20-30 minutes after logging on,) I'll go hop on Borderlands 2, or League of Legends, which is pretty much like DotA 2. Skyrim I still have yet to beat, so I could play that too. I would rather go play a game I'm having fun with than get farmed and rage impotently at Liberators from the ground.
  17. fish998

Why is Planetside 2 losing so many players?

Cause it's a buggy, badly designed, unoptimized, hack-fest of a mess.
    • Up x 1
  18. ScrapyardBob

All 3 factions can defend bio-domes against any and all attackers, they just need to be organized and quick on reacting to changing conditions. On Mattherson, it's usually the TR that hole up in a bio-dome, not the NC. Even the VS on Mattherson have been known to hold a bio-lab against any and all comers.

The issue is not the balance between the three factions, but that bio-domes are a bit too easy to defend, even when 100% cut-off from their warp-gate and all of the surrounding territories have been capped. (If something is completely surrounded, then we should be able to starve out the defenders.)
  19. Katana

pretty much /thread right there . . .

People like the game somewhat, it's just the technical garble really letting it down.
    • Up x 1
  20. Songano

At least implement double EP full time!? Im on miller this morning the first time after those double EP days and the server iss empty...killed/engaged 4 players in 40 minutes!?

I love this game, but its getting empty...and miller iss one of those servers with many players.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.