Kill the K/D Statistic. It's killing Planetside. Seriously. It's time to Reevaluate The Effect.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by inigma, Jan 3, 2013.

1. gunshooter

You assume that i'm saying that high kd players are good, i'm not. I'm just saying that low kd players are bad. There's a BIG difference.
  2. failbot

A better solution would be that you get an option to hide yourself from the leaderboard, that way we who care about KDR are happy and people who get ******** about it are happy.

Or they could just make the stats much, much better... Add repairs, revives, heals and so on to them.
  3. Purg

You can't win with K/D. One post suggesting those with a low K/D are bad players but high K/D aren't necessarily good players, the next suggesting the ability to hide it. Obvious retort - if you're hiding it, it must suck therefore I'm going to call you a bad player and disregard anything you have to say and probably ridicule you for it. Problem remains.
  4. Malsvir Vishe

You know, except without support, where would the front lines be? Dead and out of ammo. Support takes a lot of work to squeeze in a ton of repairs and resupplies, or heals and revives in one life. Seriously, in a full-on assault on a base, the support class is targeted more because they're keeping the enemy standing. It's just like in TF2. Kill the medic (and the engineer here) first, if possible.

Also: A good way to show proper kills to death could be through this:

Infantry: K/D against Infantry, K/D against Ground Vehicles, K/D against Aircraft.
    Ground vehicles: K/D against Infantry, K/D against Ground Vehicles, K/D against Aircraft.
    Aircraft: K/D against Infantry, K/D against Ground Vehicles, K/D against Aircraft.

Boom. This would show how much you've been lib/pod farmed and how much of said lib or pod farming you'e done. A 3x3 table of KDR like this would be really nice. Also, putting an extra cell in there for "Suicides" would be good.
  5. gunshooter

Except none of this changes the fact that support is trivially easy to play.
  6. gunshooter

If the "problem" is entirely someones hurt feelings then maybe this isn't an issue in the first place.
    • Up x 1
  7. failbot

If it's not KD it's your score/hour. If it's not that it's your BR and so on.

I guess we just have to remove every stat(Score, battleranks etc) in the game huh?
  8. Zagareth

A
    high K/D rate only shows that the one only knows how to make a lot kills w/o dying as much. This can be achieved by many playstyles. It's not a black or white answer, it is filled with a lot of grey tones.

But in general, every high K/D rate contributes to your factions success, because every dead foe is a good foe and every death you don't suffer keeps you at the front killing or supporting your faction.

Unfortunately supporters like Docs, Engies in their own role in PS2 are not really important, compared to PS1 - its sad, I know, and SOE has to change it.
  9. Purg

Why does it matter that reviving/repairing is easy to do? It sustains your side's ability to attack/repel the enemy making it an essential role for success.

The main issue is how it can promote negative play. What we don't know is whether removing the stat will solve some of those negative play aspects. It's only a side issue that someone with a less than 1 K/D have their opinion rendered as useless since they obviously must suck.
  10. Purg

Well, that's logic at its best. Players throughout these K/D threads suggesting that the stat does influence the way they play (most of it selfishly so they can improve or preserve their K/D) means that we should remove all stats from the game? Personally, I wouldn't care if they did. The one counter that has the majority of my attention is certs.
  11. Honken

No, but i guess this long into the convo it doesn't matter any longer.
  12. failbot

Yes, but if you see your certs you can calculate how much XP you have gained. KILL ALL STATS! Also certs make different styles of play more viable than others. They should remove certs as we know them or make them a passive gain, you gain lets say 50 certs/hour no matter what you do.

Balance.

People who don't care about KDR shouldn't care about it.

Yes and killing people isn't essential for a successful attack. If your team overall has a KD of 10:1 and the other team 1:10 you are absolutely steamrolling them, but KD isn't important.
  13. Purg

Having abandoned a Bio Lab cap a few hours ago where you couldn't see the door when jumping through the teleporter because there were 30 people in there waiting for the odd enemy to wander too close to the door - then seeing 4 TK's when someone did.. the few that rushed out got slaughtered. If they all had rushed out, the likelyhood of capping the Bio Lab would have increased dramatically. Someone caring about K/D affects those that play around them.

I don't take a list of names of those defending a base, alt-tab out of the game, look up their K/D and make a decision as to whether I should attack. If I did, I would be left with the dilemma as to how someone got a K/D of 10:1. Hmm, did they spend the last 20 hours gunning in a Liberator. Did they sit on Magrider hill spamming HE into the Crown? Have they sat in a spawn room picking off wandering enemy? 'Planetside 2 has Stopped Responding..." Oh, crap.
  14. failbot

And caring about nothing but cert farming also negatively affects the people around them. Thus we should remove the whole cert mechanic.

As for the 2nd part... That wasn't my point, you know it, I know it. If you are in the middle of a battle and your team has 10x better KD than the other team you are absolutely demolishing them. So KD is important, that nice little story of yours didn't have anything to do with my point.
  15. Accuser

I wish KDR didn't exist. Stop counting deaths and infantry will be more willing to push objectives. And since the game design currently dictates vehicles>infantry every time, it will be less punishing for people who want to play a "first person shooter" instead of a flight/tank sim.
  16. Spartan 117

While the issues you pointed out are a issue, it goes deeper than K/D ratio. The reason why vehicles are everywhere is because the resource cost for them is way way to low. The resource system in general needs a massive overhaul. As far as the K/D stat I think its fine.

Failbot hit the nail on the head with

One way or another there will always be a stat indicative of a players performance & when they come up short & aren't is good as they think they are, they will cry about it.
  17. innersphere1

18. Eugenitor

KDR is meaningless in this game, and score/hour doesn't mean much either.

Take the example of a MAX flying around in a Reaver (yes, seriously, there's at least one person who does this, I didn't even know it was possible) doing nothing but looking around for kills. At the first sign of danger he bails out and runs. He doesn't go for objectives- he can't even take objectives while he's in the suit. If he does nothing but bottom feed and spawn camp, he'll get his KDR sky-high.

He's also nearly completely useless to the team. In fact, if the whole team is made out of guys like him, a handful of dedicated infiltrators can back-cap everything and take huge sections of the continent without a fight. You've probably figured out that this isn't a hypothetical situation.

Or how about the ninth tank in a zerg taking a bio lab. He doesn't need to be there. He's not doing anything. He's just sitting there waiting for other people to get him cert points. His SPH is nice, but- what has he done to earn it?

I'm starting to think that the serious players have generally left for other games and there's no one left but stat padders, cheaters, and people who don't realize what the game's become about.

If you want to try to eke what's left of the actual fun out of this game, the first thing you have to do is stop giving a **** about meaningless stats.
  19. BuzzCutPsycho

I agree with the OP entirely. I will post my take on this on another page.
    • Up x 4
  20. Metsuro

So lets remove KDR to use score which is based on how many kills you can get, or repair... While its already there to begin with...

Please stop making useless posts like this.