Does my computer need an upgrade for this game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by imKorbi, Jan 1, 2013.

1. imKorbi

I have got 30 Hours played on planetside 2 and i love it. It got me into PC gaming again, but at first it ran VERY slow. I fiddled with somethings in my computer and program files and im able to run it from 30 to 50 fps. I was just wondering if i would need to upgrade my laptop components a bit to be able to run this game with medium settings and still play at 30 fps. My computer specs...
    HP Envy 14t-1100
    ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB 5.0 Shader DirectX 11 Graphics and Intel HD Graphics
    6 GB Ram
    ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 580 @ 2.67GHz, 2667 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Im on a laptop and is there anyway i could upgrade my processor, ram and video card? What can i upgrade or what should i upgrade? i would really love to play this game in medium settings because this game is truly amazing!
  2. I Keel You!

Have you tried editing the useroptions.ini file yet? In windows 7 it is located at C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2

You can try setting render distance to less than 2000, I have mine at 800 and ShadowQuality=0, RenderFlora=Off. Then in the in-game graphics options set the renderquality down to 90 from 100.
  3. Metalsheep

Your graphics card is a bit weak for this game if you want to run it on higher settings.

Unfortunately with a Laptop, they arent easy to upgrade, if at all. Most come with a On-Board/Built In graphics card that is not replaceable, and they are usually rather weak unless you paid alot of money for a Gameing Laptop.

A Laptop is not very good for hardcore/high end gaming.

Your CPU is okay, and your RAM is also okay. But you can always use more RAM if your motherboard can handle it. RAM is also the only thing in a laptop you can really upgrade hardware wise, aside from the Hard Drive.

You kind of pidgeonhole yourself with a laptop, they are very limited as far as power goes. Your options are pretty much limited to heavy editing of your Useroptions/Ini settings and making sure unnessesary programs arent running on your laptop while you play PS2. Also, make sure under your Power Options that it is set to High Preformance when you game, it drains the battery, but if you are plugged in it shouldnt matter.

Aside from that, you'd have to get a new machine to do many upgrades.
  4. imKorbi

Hey guys! Yes i know laptops arent much for gaming but i have a family problem and i need to bring a computer back and forth and i wouldnt be able to do that with a Desktop, i love to get one though man. I heard the game would run a bit faster if i increased ram. This computer is also 3 years old so back in its day it would run a lot ahha. I think my computer could do 16GB Ram max but not sure yet. I was hoping this summer to get a new computer OR to upgrade my ram a bit and then wait a few months to maybe consider getting a new computer.
    @Ikeelyou yes i have done that i set my render distance to 1000 and everything else to 1. What happens if i turn the flora off? How fast does your game run when you play it with the options?
  5. Metalsheep

Well, RAM will always boost your computers preformance. But there is only so much RAM can do, if your Video Card cant handle the game, no amount of extra RAM will help.

BUT, RAM is cheap. So it is never a bad idea to upgrade your RAM if possible.

Another problem with Laptops is that, even if their components seem powerful on paper, alot of times they are "underclocked" because of Heat issues. If those components ran at 100% power in such a tiny space, it would build up a crazy amount of heat and damage the components or get too hot in your lap. They also dont breathe very well, since most laptops only have 1 or 2 exhaust fans.

If you can get a new laptop with more power, then that will work. Some laptops, exepensive ones usually, DO have a dedicated graphics card inside them. Still hard to upgrade, but more powerful than an average laptop.

Personally, i'd still want to build a Desktop for Home use, and then the laptop for work and mobile computing, unless you arent home enough to game on it. Then your only option may be shelling out the money for a "Gaming" Laptop.
  6. imKorbi

Ive been wanting to build my own Desktop for a while now. A friend of mine suggested getting a desktop with a handle? He said to have one monitor at one house and another monitor at the other and just bring the case for the desktop to each house. Just to get something like that and have a powerful desktop, would it cost me around $1000? And im not looking for super expensive monitors just something thats like 200 with a nice display. What would be a normal total amount of dollars to spend on a gaming desktop, cause i know that desktops run cheap than laptops.
  7. Metalsheep

Personally, my machine (specs are in my Sig) costed me about 1000$ to build back when the parts were top of the line. Its about 3 or 4 now. Still handles all games on Ultra or their highest settings. But i also had a monitor, keyboard, mouse and my sound system already from an older computer.

1000$ is a good range for a moderate game machine along with a monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers, it depends on your favored brand/company though. Intel/NVIDIA tend to be expensive, but have more power. Where as, AMD/ATI is cheaper, and bring competative power to bare against Intel/Nvidia products. And you probably could find a case out there with a handle on it for transporting it if you really want to do that. My machine has a Full Tower, made of steel. The thing is a monster and probably weighs a good 60-80 pounds with all its components.
  8. imKorbi

Wow Ok i think i want yours haha. I dont mean to sound like a creeper but is there anyway i can keep in touch with you because you really know what your talking about and if over the summer im able to get a desktop with a case, maybe you could help me understand what parts to get. Thanks for everything so far!
  9. Soylent

You already have 6GB of RAM, more won't help at all. What's clogging it is the graphics card and processor and there's no way to upgrade that.
  10. Metalsheep

No problem, i go to school for this stuff and i've built several computers for family/friends. Hoping once im done with school to get an IT or computer repair job.

You can just shoot me a PM on the forums if you need some help later on down the road. I played Planetside 1 for 10 years, don't plan on leaving any time soon.
  11. imKorbi

Ok good and thanks i want to go to school for Computer Tech and science thats my main goal. Ill think this over and will respond if i can go through with getting this desktop! Thanks for everything!