Any AMD CPU Optimizations Coming soon?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Gunuko, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Gunuko

This is silly I have an fx-8350 4.0ghz 8 core cpu, and even on low settings i'm lagging. This cpu plays other games about as good as your average i5 maybe a bit worse. Why is this game so completely biased towards intel? Any tips to help me would be great too! Thanks.
  2. Gaseous Snake

What's the rest of your specs and your fps?
  3. Beltway

You CPU is working twice as hard on low settings. Bump yourself up to high or unlock ultra settings. I don't see how a CPU that fast is having issues.
  4. dielikekane

you must have some setting wrong in your bios or windows
    or maybe you need the Microsoft AMD hot-fix, for win7,
    windows 7 was only optimizing every other core on my pc till i installed the hot-fix, now all the cores are running fine..
    my FX-8150 3.60GHz runs planetside2 fine. with the ultra settings..

if you do need the hot-fix, dont forget you need both patch's for it to work properly.
    1 update disables the Core Parking - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2646060
    2 update CPU scheduling techniques optimized for AMD module architecture - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2645594
  5. Arcanum

Lower render quality.
  6. OldMaster80

Concerning point 1 I've found players saying it works great, other saying it's better to use CPU to use only 4 cores using RadeonPRO. Don't know what to say, actually.
    Concerning point 2 I didn't notice a particular upgrade in fps.
  7. HATE_Majakovskij

What do you mean speaking of fine? Perhabs, I've done something wrong, but this isn't even close to fine for me. It's bunch of soldiers standing still on warpgate and nothing is going on. I'll keep silence about how terrifying fps drops are during massive encounters. I clearly realize that AMDs aren't best choice for gaming, anyway this is quite ridiculous that modern top-line processors aren't able to handle some idling units on stable 60 fps.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  8. Esjo

My fx8320 is pulling ps2 effortlessly. Stock settings, no win7 optimization patches or anything.. So your 8350 shouldnt have issues either. Check heat, make sure your ram is fine (memcheck) .. Get a beefier gfx card.

My system:
    Fx 8320 8 cores at 3.5ghz
    16gb ddr 3
    Installed on ssd hd
    Nvidia 660gtx 2gb

My cpu points at the other hardware and goes LOL! My bottleneck, if any, is the gfx card.. The cpu eats ps2 for breakfast and any other game i throw at it. But im aslo using a Noctua cooling rib/fan.. Its so big it looks like the radiator for a motorcycle.
  9. HATE_Majakovskij

Okay, fellows. Let's repeat: what is "fine" for you? Preferably use fps counter to define it.
  10. Guovssohas

AMD user here too.

Phenom x4 965be @ 3.7ghz
    XFX 6870 1gb @ 1000core / 1125mem
    8GB Ram 1333mhz

Quite poor performance at larger battles, hovers around 30fps which causes worse twitch aim for me :(

When fps is at 30 my gpu usage is about 60%, which normally means a cpu bottleneck. But when i see my cpu usage it's about 50-60% total, i mean if it really is a huge cpu bottleneck shouldn't the cpu be pegged at close to 100% ?

Imo this must be poor optimization.
  11. C4Chaos42

The game barely has any threads and from memory it has 1 super-thread that sits on a single core. Thus you will never see cpu usage go up to 100%. Hopefully they will split it up into more threads and balance the load on all cores instead of depending on one core for the super-thread.

It can use up one core entirely and you will still see 60% usage because it's a total figure for all cores.
  12. MeerMusik

AMD User here too with the same "problems".

1.) This Game is nowhere near being optimized

2.) The First AMD FX CPUs are nowhere near being optimized - and having lower per Core Performance then my Phenom II X4. AMD is preparing right now the next HW Version of Bulldozer FX CPUs which should have more Power(Performance)/Core.

3.) PS2 uses a DX9 Engine which has no "build in" support for MultiCore CPU Systems - the Devs need to put that in manually step by step. Which, every Programmer knows that, could take months depending on how much have to add and what default capabilities the Engine have.

4.) Yes SOE stated they are working on a big Performance Update. But a) its scheduled [actually] for January - which mostly means at the end of the month. b) no one knows if its an Update for CPUs or GPUs or whatever. We have no specific Data about that right now from SOE [correct me if i missed some info...]

In General: If you know how and if you have enough Cooling Power, overclock your CPU if you can. PS2 is hungry for every single extra Megahertz you could feed it.

Happy New Year everyone :)
    Oliver
  13. Esjo

Sure.. "Fine" for me is when framerate never drops under 45. And it never does..ever. Very rarely under 50.. Ive seen that once, when a tank exploded in my face from a carpet bombing. Using default high settings
  14. TeknoBug

Games like LA Noire and Valve games has the option to run the game in multithreaded (even with DX9), GW2 and PS2 just likes to eat up one core most of the time, PS2 was worse in beta for that but after release it uses 2 sometimes 3 cores which is why it's best to run the game on 4 cores even with a 6-8 core CPU.

The Bulldozer line is on the borderline of fail by AMD, the Piledriver is much better but not TAHT much better than the later Denub and Thuban Phenom II's. Comparing my Phenom II X6 1090T vs my FX 8320, using the same mobo/ram/video setup the 1090T keeps up or beats the 8320 in some cases.

I can only hope SOE actually comes around to optimizing the game a little, recently Arenanet made GW2 run better, early Oct throughout halloween GW2 ran horribly but it's better now.

PS- I experimented with running PS2 at high priority in task manager, it helps in heavy fights however it robs resources for the USB mouse/keyboard responsiveness, it felt like the mouse was on a rough surface and had to turn up the ingame sensitivity to make up for it. And I don't suggest ever trying realtime, that'll make Windows behave weirdly.
  15. ReactionDT

I notice with my setup, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz and two 660tis in SLI that I start out around 150+ FPS and then after an hour of playing drop down to 60-80 fps, then after an hour more drop down to 30-50. This game has a horrible memory leak and its throttling back hardware I've noticed. When I first start playing my GPUs are running around 70-80% and processor around 60%. After the two hours, they're all in the 30%s. I've also noticed this damn thing putting 2GB crash reports in the registry. Come Feb we'll see how many members they have left.
  16. mindbomb

umm, OP has the improved version with more power/core.
    anyway, the game isn't integer heavy, and is lightly threaded.
    so, atm, you are screwed.
  17. mindbomb

30-50 fps is the normal fps you should expect with your setup. The reason for the fps decrease is the increased amount of players around you.
    When you are getting like 35 fps with a 4.5ghz ivy, OP would be getting like 25 fps, so you even get a distinct gameplay advantage against a lot of other players whose game would be not as smooth.
  18. MeerMusik

I know. Yeah sorry i meant the 3rd Gen Bulldozer "Steamroller" not the second Gen. My Fault. But i stay by my statement that the first Gen is more or less c*ap. Thats a Problem all AMD FX CPU had sadly :(

I still hope AMD comes back to the roots with "Excavator", the 4th Gen Bulldozer. My next HW Upgrade is planned for winter 2013 - but depending on how good or bad the Steamroller Performance will be, i will wait for Excavator in 2014 or i will change back to Intel.
    Lets hope we get good news till then.

And for now: Lets wait for the end of January and hope for good news from SOE... ;)
  19. Gunuko

Gonna post my specs. I'm the original Poster of the thread.

GTX 560 ti
    AMD fx-8350 4.0ghz
    8gb kingston 1600 ram
    ssd kingston hard drive - 120gb
    850 watt cosair psu
    asrock 970 extreme4 (any bios hints i could use?)
  20. THUGGERNAUT

not sure if this will help you, but it helped me to turn everything on high, including motion blur/ambient, but turn shadows to low. on a x4 965 black with a gtx 660.

looks like you have a gtx 560 which should be more than enough. like the other guys were saying, work the graphics card hard and lighten up the cpu intensive shadows and particles.