Squad Beacons need a nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stormlight666, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Stormlight666

Yeah that's way to short.
  2. Stormlight666

So I guess the morale of the story is: Don't bother defending the base since they can out-spawn you, out-beacon you in your own base.
  3. Neovita

they also get a cooldown on the placing ability each time they use it, if you are going to get a half hour of sleep between the beacon kill and your next step, then there is a problem in your own gameplay dude :)
  4. WolfA4

Why not? Do you think you are a special and everyone else in the game should die instantly to you? Obviously those two infiltrators knew how the play the game better than you did and made you pay for it.

The "morale" of the story is that better players will out perform bad ones. The fact is the spawn beacon does have a much longer spawn timer on it than every other form of respawn.
  5. Lucidius134

1) If there's a 2 minute timer on dropping one that means as long as they are alive they can drop another one. This means you can kill the leader of the squad countless times but you have to kill him and then kill him again to gain a 2 minute window for destroying the beacon.
    2) In that time, enemies can be hiddden in a base or drop in on the base just as it's about to be spawned. Squad leader can make that person leader so they can drop one. Repeat Step 1.

Whack-a-mole is so fun.
  6. Regpuppy

The timer is 1-2 minutes, you need one per squad of 12 people, and they come with a placement timer.

You're either exaggerating or there was a sundy hidden nearby or both.

If there's an abuse left open by the mechanics, then that should be what's looked at. Not beacons themselves. The beacon placement and spawn cooldowns should be applied to the people in the squad regardless of whether they endlessly drop and remake squads or change squad leader.
  7. Neovita

So where is the problem to repeat it all the time and earn an nice amount of exp? Thats the point in this game. Noone needs any Stations or Zones, we just need enough enemys to shoot at, so we can make exp and earn our certs. Just think about it ;-)
  8. Foefaller

Okay, I'll give you Biolabs, since it doesn't matter where they land on that dome, there are still only two ways in outside of teleporters.

I was thinking of the smaller bases that are just a couple of buildings in the middle of nowhere especially those with thier cap point outdoors so you can't just hide in a corner waiting to ambush; lot of places to land and run off from before anyone can get close, and enough angles of attack that you can't completly prepare for every attack on you own.
  9. Neovita

Then skill and use mines, c4 or whatever, there are to many ways to hide and farm them up, because they need to reach well defined points on the map to take over the zone ;-) In other words: To nerf the beacons will robb yoursself out of possible targets. If you want to stay in a save zone without any enemy for hours, then stay at warpgate and let me and other players have our fun killing those beacon users :)
  10. Haskaal

2 Infiltrators are easy to defend a small base against if you have 2 defenders. You can also set down spawn beacons of your own to match their spawn timer. If you still don't like it, then quit playing the game. The devs won't fix something that doesn't need fixing.
  11. InzaNe6

There's a feature in the game! NERF IT!

Nerf this, nerf that, nerf the heck out of it!

That's all I hear on these boards so I thought I'd join the nerf party.
    • Up x 1
  12. Neovita

Sorry, there are no more free places in this house, because everyone is trying to join us :D
  13. D0n

Sighs...

During beta, beacons were a problem because everyone and his mother could spawn one, let's not mention bugged beacons and the fact they stayed there forever until destroyed.

You now have:

Timers, they do not last forever.
    Squad leader only, unless they found a way to exploit it, I can think of a way or 2.
    Most bugged spots for them stopped working.

With all of that, you still want them nerfed because 2 guys owned you.

You guys can't even give it a rest on holiday season.
  14. MintiFresh

Dropping on a squad beacon also has a 15 minute cooldown, so this isn't even possible. There were definitely more than two people if they were dropping in that frequently, in which case you should be losing as you're fighting an entire squad alone.
  15. Stormlight666

I was outkilling them 2:1 and still couldn't keep up with them since they could just drop back to the important side of the base while I had to hoof it on foot. I defensively mined important areas (killing them) only to have them drop right back into the fray due to the one minute timer. They knew what to do, but they also knew how to exploit the crappy beacon system as it is now. Kill a beacon they set another and drop again right away.
  16. Stormlight666

Just bump the next guy to leader and he drops his beacon, that's how you get around that.
  17. Cute-CandyPants

squad beacons are fine, you just shoot them and thats all it takes lol
  18. MintiFresh

Sounds like an exploitation of unintended game mechanics then, in which case I'm sure it will eventually be fixed.
  19. Stormlight666

I outkilled them 2:1 and I wasn't getting owned as much as unable to keep up with the constant sabotaging. I mean when you can't even get 10 seconds to breathe before they drop in again to to counter permahacking - that's too much. As for getting around the beacon timer that's easy - bump the next guy to leader and he drops his then change back when it gets destroyed.
  20. Stormlight666

Then they drop another one. All I want is the timer increased to give defenders a chance to protect a bloody base since the spawn rooms are so far out of the way of the important base parts it takes us forever to run there.