Good Pay to win game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by InvalidTarget, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badname02

There are effectively 2 (maybe 3) pay2win items in this game. I'll name them for you:

1. Rocket pods
    2. Anti-Air Max main gun.
    3. Fill in yourself

That's it.

I can't count how many times I've simply destroyed BR30+'s with all their fancy ''1000 cert'' guns and upgrades. You don't need them.

Only things I really ''need'' on my characters:
    1. Bolt action Rifle for Infiltrators
    2. Laser sight for Light assault units
    3. 1 upgrade point in everything because it only costs 1 cert
    4. Spawnpoint upgrade for Sunderer

Those are my basic ABSOLUTE must-haves. Oh and a compensator if playing NC heavy with the GAUSS SAW.

Wants?
    1. Rocket pods
    2. Anti-Air Max main gun

That's it. You don't need to spend money on anything except those 2 things. Really.

Is it pay 2 win? Yes in this case it really clearly is. But that's about it.
  2. UzumakiW

OP has no idea what a pay to win game is. A game in which all weapons are accessible through in-game currency, though you may get the currency at a slower pace, is not a pay to win game. A pay to win game is you can only get those weapons with real money and they're a lot more powerful than in-game weapons.

I used to play a shooter when it was in beta and when it was first released for months before they introduced a cash shop. Loved the game and was a lot of fun, until they brought out the cash shop and started releasing a ton of over powered weapons that would kill you way fast than a non-cash shop weapon. At another point, they released extremely powerful weapons that you can only get from some gambling system. Completely ruined the game for me, as the weapons were insanely powerful that weren't in the cash shop.

At least in PS2, you can purchase all the weapons with in-game currency. It's not a big deal to drop a few bucks from time to time if you want to gain certs faster by buying an exp boost.
  3. badname02

Are you talking about Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield 4 Free, GunZ the Duel or many other free shooters? =p
  4. TopPlayer1999

Except a team with subscriptions and resources boosters will always have more resources to spend then a team without and a massive advantage. If they can lose 2 tanks for everyone one of yours then you will lose. There is no way to get around this without paying. And unlike the current cash shop in the game it will get worse with time, not better. People will have faster vehicle cooldown timers and more ordnance to spend resources on. The game has a pay to win feature.
  5. Idono

Here we go again. People that whine about p2w and haveno freaking clue what P2W actually is.

Here's a quick explenation for you to actually understand. Pay 2 Win is where you buy weapons and items in the game that make you outragiously more powerfull than any other player that doesn't pay 2 win. The game doesn't have any weapons that makes you outragously more powerfull than any other player. And even if you do get said new weapon you guys keep calling a P2W weapon it still doesn't make you a good player.

There are no weapons currently in the game that gives anyone a pure advantage. NONE! There are advantages with drawbacks. Every gun has it's onw style of gameplay but also suck at something. Long range guns are outperformed by shorte and medium range ones. And the other way around.

Instead of whining about not beng able to buy those weapons since you don't have the "time" nor the "skill" to farm the certs then maybe you should either enjoy the game for what it is or move on to another game that suits you'r unlock fetiches.
  6. SwashBuccaneer

Don't waste your breaths. They just wanna keep their little advantages and gang up on newer, free players.
    Then, when they leave out of frustration they'll be wondering why hardly no one's on to play with in their fail pay to have fun game.

Got no problems with a cash shop, but SOE's prices have always been r.etarded. Not to mention their conversion rate on SC to real money. 5 bucks for a decal? Really? At least they do have triple deal days or whatever. I'd buy up a few cards and sit on them until the next 3x day but there's better c.rap to spend money on than this POS buggy game.

I know I'm a big fan of spawning and isntantly dying with no idea what the hell just happened.
  7. Hpool aka BigNutz

Not our fault you refuse to pay a sub or buy a boost.. QQ more
  8. SwashBuccaneer

Nah, no QQ here. It's much more fun just logging in for free and playing and TKing idiots. :)
  9. Alex Heartnet

A flawed free2play model is not the same as a pay2win model!

Good grief, people toss this term around without actually knowing what a true pay to win is. Sony has to make money somehow, and design issues aside things are clearly setup to keep free players competitive with paying ones.
  10. Grahf Azura

To anyone who believes this is Pay 2 Win game:
    1. Go play some "real" P2W games and come back and judge this game.
    2. This has got to be one of the biggest F2P games ever, and you should be paying a monthly subscription like any other MMO. So stop whining you ungrateful ********
    3. All gameplay items can be obtained through grinding. Why should you not have to work for it? People who pay for the items had to work for it in other ways so why shouldn't you. At least you can work for it in a game instead of a real job.
    4. Most weapons are side-grades, and give both advantages and disadvantages. I don’t care how many weapons you bought, if I counter you with my "free" weapons your dead. It's called balance and sometimes there are balancing issues, but this has nothing to do with pay or no pay players.
    5. 99% of players need something to blame for their lack of skill, and in F2P games it is the P2W argument every time. Sometimes it is justified, but not in this game.
  11. TopPlayer1999

Its like everyone is is just shouting their opinion and insulting everyone. I thought internet forums were suppose to be about discussions and understanding of one another. Internet I am disappointed.

Ill make my point again in two undisputed facts. The game has pay to win.

#1 You can subscribe and buy resource boosts. You have to PAY real money.

#2 They game is setup by design to BALANCE vehicles and infantry ordnance by resource cost. A very large part of the reason you take facilities is to get resources to take more facilities to capture a continent to get a resource reduction. If it didn't matter c4 wouldn't cost 100 and grenades wouldn't cost 40. All the costs represent their balance value.
  12. siiix

just for the record once i played 50+ hours strait battlefield2 on meth :) but only ONCE... it was fun trough
  13. TopPlayer1999

1. What does this have to do with planetside2. Somethings might be worse or better, does not change what planetside 2 is. Godwin makes about much sense as this. England shouldn't complain, go try being in Germany during ww2.
    2. By players, nope. By development, nope. Relatively small team compared to aaa titles. By content, nope. Its a battlefield game with 3 very large maps with very limited assets. Guns all are the same, so are most of the large facilities.
    3. All items you can get but some are limited use. Paying gets you more uses.
    4. Resource items are powerful. Its why you fight for resources.
    5. This is just an insult. Nice one.
  14. Grahf Azura

Sorry for any insults, but I am growing tired of ungrateful gamers who label games as P2W that aren't. This is why I say go play "real" P2W games because you all need some perspective. Games like PS2, LoL, and some others have very good F2P business models that don't trick players into thinking they can competitively play the game for free.

You can compete in this game without dropping a dime. If you enjoy this game you should not have any problem putting 20+ hours into it and earning many of the certs/weapons paying players got much faster. Many of these so called upgrades don't even give any real advantages and the ones that do are more of a balancing issue that a P2W issue.

However, this is a matter of perspective and I believe many people who claim this is a P2W game don't have it. So again go play some "real" P2W games before you pass judgment.
  15. Otleaz

Herp derp, go read up on hitler before you call me a murderer.

You people are clinging to definitions because that is all you really have, as if it was so obvious that you won't even directly deny it. I also got a kick out of the guys saying PS2 has a model anywhere near as good as LoL.
  16. Ogilthorp

Just because you increase font size and underline "The game has pay to win." doesn't mean it's going to change anyones mind. Almost every single person who's responded to this thread has stated they don't feel the game is anywhere close to pay to win.

Go pay $60 and complain on the call of duty boards that the veteran players have more guns than you do.
  17. champ

I'm lvl47 ( thanks to being on a sub with xp boosters as well ) and I have no worries about buying stuff with cash from the store. Yet a lvl5 can still blindside me and kill me with 3-4 shots to the head !!

Surely if it is playtowin I should be able to buy something with SC that makes me immune to those pesky FTP scrubs ? I've been looking but I can't find anything ...
    • Up x 2
  18. Seryi

Yes, shame on you SOE for trying to make money. It's almost like you're a buisness! :rolleyes:

If you honestly think this is Pay 2 Win, you haven't a clue.

Seriously, calm yourself. Go to bed. Get something to eat. Something to drink. Take a hot shower. Do -something- other then rant on the forums because you got fragged.
  19. TheWhiteLights

Two reasons why people pay real money for weapons.

1. They want to unlock the weapon now.
    or
    2. They don't want to unlock the weapon with Certs and rather use Certs for weapon upgrades.

That is all I can think of. There might be more.
  20. BuzWeaverPS2

I can tell you from my own personal experience that PS2 is not pay to win. Our guild plays to have fun and our group consist of competitive FPS players to casual players. I've dropped a few dollars on the top tier weapons for both my characters and vehicles. These purchases may have yielded a little bit more ease of use, but its hardly given me any more of an advantage over more skilled players.

Play to win would be if people could pay for Certifications. It doesn't matter if I have the best weapons in the game, a skilled player is going to out perform you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.