Dear SOE...Population

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SenorBeef, Dec 10, 2012.

1. VoidMagic

LIKE A BOSS!
    THANK YOU RADARX!
    Most important issue facing PS2
    HANDLED...
    :D
  2. PEETREE

Oops, I've been out of college too long. You're right.
  3. TheAux

I'm pretty sure that most people would agree, especially newer players, that the game is extremely confusing when you first join. Maybe you didn't have this problem, fantastic for you, your amazing gaming skills are the exception instead of the norm. Having such a high learning curve in the beginning really hurts the games population level, this game could greatly benefit from a tutorial and I believe most of the player base can recognize that.
    • Up x 1
  4. Chubzdoomer

I sure hope so, Radar, because I'm growing very impatient with these current low populations. Sometimes it feels ridiculously tough to find a good battle, especially during the week.
  5. Mindfire

No really bothered about the population over the next weekend, I am however more concerned about the population over the next year. Constant PvP with no real objectives is a bit tiresome, could you not introduce battles to open different areas and some outfit bases please? Maybe a few extra class options to add more flavour. Some PvE would be lovely, how about a portal into EQ2 lands?

The game is crying out for some lore and story to motivate players, with nothing for the players to feel attached too and part off they just quit for another game, unless this is part of the FTP business model. So much potiental in a game and yet it has only the basic framework. Better lore and in game direction (such as WHY do we fight) is very cheap to produce with the right artists (story tellers) and really should be right there in the games backbone as part of the inital design and motivation.
    • Up x 1
  6. Superman_X

Even Eve doenst have everyone in the same zone. Sharding is perfectly acceptible in a situation such as this, but sharding would allow the same characters to choose shards. SOE just chose an older style construct, with the limitations inherent in it. Heck, even WOW has reversed engineerd this to allow cross server functionality, as it is vastly superior (now that technolgy allows it to be feasible).
  7. Metsuro

They are in the same universe where each region is broken up. You still don't fully understand the concept here.

Eve is 1 single main server were all 300k+ players play together. Any action one takes, can affect another player on that server.

Ps2 can't use the same methods eve uses for their backend, meaning they have to go the standard route of servers, where they have multiple "universes" or shards for players to play in. By allowing players to freely move between them, they have sense of presistence because you actions will never matter.

Its why in gw2 you can guest for pve content, but in WvW you are always tied to your home server. Because you can only try to change for your server.
  8. Blackweb

PlanetSide 2 is an MMOFPS with some roleplaying aspects. PS2 is FPS combat on an epic scale.

What PS2 is not:

A fantasy MMORPG
    A grindy gear-based fantasy MMORPG
    PS2 IS NOT DESIGNED TO COMPETE DIRECTLY WITH WoW OR ANY OTHER FANTASY MMORPG

Now go shoot somebody and stop whining about how PS2 is not like your favorite MMORPG.
  9. badname02

I like your logical thinking.

Let's hope it does. I think you and I would both love for this game to succeed and grow to become something more than it already is. And we all know that we need a sturdy-as-hell playerbase for that to happen!
  10. ANTiKES

i got the same feeling about OP's WoW launch theory and yes, I find there're too many servers... Maybe I just cannot see them due to my location but what about a server in russia or china? Guess it would be more useful than having waay to much us east servers and only 2 eu servers which are constantly in use....
  11. r.Tek

Well unfortunately I was wrong lol. Populations are *** right now lol and to make matters worse our so called "commanders" are more worried about farming certifications right now than trying to hold on to our territory that we're losing.
  12. SenorBeef

I have no idea how people can read this thread and say "lol OP wants game to be like WoW" which makes no sense at all. But a bunch of people in this forum see the word "wow" or "battlefield" and stop reading the posts and just say NERP THIS PLANETSIDE 2 LOL STOPPED READING RIGHT THERE.
  13. ReaperOne1Two2

Unfortunately, if any surge was to occur so far he is wrong on the steam side of stats at least. It went up a total of about 0-200 or so since last week, which is still the average daily of the previous 2-3 weeks. Current: 15,861 Peak: 17,575 so I have a new reference to go off of.
  14. SerialNumber1221

PEETREE, from MAG days? Spkr4thedead is around somewhere too.....

On topic, population on Genudine was great yesterday, fought at the crown for five hours <----- can you see the problem? Is it even a problem?

Seems there are hotspots where a high percentage of continent population converge, which is not entirely a bad thing. I know, crown is a freak place which is very hard to attack and easy to defend. But its usually a good fight - lot more fun to defend, sweet victory if you attack and don't get annihilated....

I think my post on the first page presents good options for promoting crown scale battles on other continents at other bases. Sure, due to base design the battle duration and play style would be different, but it would be nice to fight for even somewhat sustained periods at other bases....

But so far so good - decent numbers....let's hope we get even more players over the holidays....

And OP, I'm still here lol...despite your wishes of malignancy and death for me... :D Best wishes friend.
  15. PEETREE

It is mate.

I'm a pc super champion now :D
  16. Gunho

Its Sunday late afternoon, playing on the buziest EU server Miller. Its reading medium population. Where is the surge? All im seeing is a massive increase in air units that are dominating the maps and hardly any groundforces around. All factions are spread unbalanced over the continents as usuall.

How long do you think people will put up with this? New players will see low, low, low, medium, low, low, low, low, ect servers.. This alrdy gives the idea "is this game thát fail?".I for one am not a big fan of air dominating ghostown outposts/labs.

This isn't Everquest 2 or sumthing like that, we don't need 20 servers.
  17. PsychoBat

You guys need to stop complaining about the population and actually play. I've checked my server using the "create new character" function a couple of times when starting to play and my server is mostly low and a few times medium. However, I've never had a problem with finding a good fight. Have you even checked what these statuses mean? Maybe they're something like low - 0-60%, medium 60-90% and high 90-100% of total capacity.
  18. CobraBoss

I hope you guys are eyeballing the results of making ppl able to have 3 characters of different factions on the same server and see how bad a move that was ...
  19. badname02

Hehe yeah it's gotten slightly worse on Miller as well, but tbh it's still the nr1 most balanced server I've seen. Right now it's ''high'' and about 35% TR, 35% VS and 30% NC. However NC has a VERY small amount of ground owned. But at least the pop isn't TERRIBLY out of balance as I've seen on others o_O

But yeah man something needs to be done... I've been playing near-lagless for quite some time now, hit detection isn't failing me as often anymore (no idea why, there was no patch) so now we've got optimization patches, meta-game implementation and balance issues to go... After that: I'll be a really happy camper =p
  20. ReaperOne1Two2

He is actually just outright wrong right now on the steam side. My previous post on the same page says Current: 15,861 Peak: 17,575 and that it was roughly even or so. It is Sunday and the peak is now a peak of 16,404 which is actually a new lowest from when I checked for a weekend peak. Instead of an increase we actually got a roughly 1.1k player drop in 1-2 days for a weekend peak. This is on steam side.