People will hate on free to play games until the end of time.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zarth, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Zarth

And I will keep enjoying how much variety of different things I can do in this game compared to other FPS games. The sense of team work and how each person has a different role in conquering different territories is amazing. I believe this game will go on for years to come. People need to have more faith in this game from what I've been reading recently.
    • Up x 1
  2. Protential

Newsflash, time ended yesterday. We no longer exist! PlanetSide however, will continue as normal.
  3. Lafayette

I don't know, I still don't want the next Command and Conquer to be free to play.
  4. 4set

This is a free to play game, I agree, but conversly it is a pay to win game - Rocket pods /dual AA max's being prime example.. Yes you can play, and "win" without paying a cent, but it is going to be that much harder to compete against people that do put money into this game, because they are getting the better / best weapons with more ease..

An example of a tried and true free to play game (where putting money in doesnt give you an advantage over those that dont) is League of Legends. It doesnt matter how much money your put into LoL, because you cannot buy things that give you an advantage over people that dont spend any money at all.. But dont misconstrue this as bashing, I am loving Planetside 2, and it has pretty much started taking all my free time, instead of me splitting time between this and LoL..
  5. Sharmanti

F2P sucks.

It's just greedy imo. (because they often fund themselfs with ingame cash, which in the end usually gives more cash than a regular release)

I wish they just released this as a normal ******* game. Maybe an expansion later on and so forth
  6. badname02

It's very questionable if LoL is a TRUE f2p game.

If you want a nice reportoire of heroes you'll either be spending 1000's of hours of be spending loads of cash (300+ dollars is not uncommon). Also RIOT's new money making ways include making almost each now champ heavily OP -> people buy it, win with it, then nerf it as the next one comes a long.

I don't MIND this type of money making business tbh because it's what keeps LoL healthy playerbase wise and keeps money coming in for RIOT. But true F2P? Want lots of runes for all your characters? Sure you can't buy runes, but you can buy IP boosts which will increase the rate you gain runes by quite a margin.

It's not Pay 2 Win, but not really Free 2 Play either. Unless you only play lol 24\7 you'll be missing out on loads of heroes. Some players hate that (DOTA players for instance). Others, like me, would argue that if you have 2 heroes of each class (AD, AP, Support, Bruiser\Jungler\Toplane) you'll be basically fine when you start getting Runes.

Planetside 2 isn't pay 2 win either, but also not entirily Free 2 play. Exactly because of the two examples you give. Infantry guns are a non-issue, but having rocketpods or AA maxes is game-changing. Unless they change that that is the BIGGEST pay2win thing in this game.

I'm in the FireFall beta right now and that's a little bit closer to F2P basically. You can buy XP boosts which will enable you to level quicker -> thus progressing quicker in PvE. But after the next patch PvP will be E-Sports aimed: You'll unlock a basic class through PvE and then deal with set-loadouts in PvP. So you can have all the XP boosts you want: it won't matter when playing against other players in competetive mode since you'll only be able to pick between certain (hopefully balanced) outfits the dev's have selected for tournament mode.

Which is a nice ''middle of the road'' line to walk if you ask me.
  7. Ruwyn

yea, well day one player that spends 10 dollars = 1 week player. So what do you do about the guy who has played the last month without spending a dime and wrecks the day one player that also hasn't spent a dime? You see the flawed logic? Anyone who has spent more time or money is going to be more powerful then the guy who hasn't invested anything. This is true the last 13+ yrs of MMOs. Someone who spent 2 yrs playing EQ was certainly going to crush the person who played 2 days. Why is this par for the course yet allowing that 2 day player to spend 20 dollars(on triple cash day!) to "catch up" is regarded as negative? Actually I guess that scenario would be considered valid by the anti-"p2w" community.

Time = money money = time

Spend one or the other, or even both. If not, move along.
    • Up x 1
  8. SinerAthin

Bear in mind guys, that what the reason he calls this "Pay2Win" is not because it is impossible to get all the weapons, but because it takes such a ridiculous amount of time that any casual gamer will probably only get a new weapon after months of playing, that for any non-sane, non-hardcore gamer, money is the only realistic way of actually getting your hand on these weapons within any reasonable amount of time.

Winning/losing because of time/money invested into virtual gear or bonuses takes away the fun in a game, and reduces the personal skill element.

Many people want a game where you win because you were more skilled than the other person, not because you simply had better gear than him.

These people want a game where everything is just sidegrades and cosmetics, only giving you different ways to play, where nobody has an inherent ingame advantage regardless of having 1000 hours spent or 100 bucks spent, or 0 at all.
  9. Esxraptor

Just don't confuse active forum population with active player population

The 2 are vastly different in size

: hint : forum is smaller/minority
  10. 4set

The truth is, that a day 1 player (regardless of whether they come from a predominatenly FPS background) is going to lose to a player that has been playing for 1-week (whether either of them spent money at all) because the person who has been playing longer is going to have more game knowledge (whether it be the sounds of the game, base layout, how the weapons function in-game, etc.etc.) that will allow him to consistently get the better of the newer player.. But if you take two players who have been playing for a month each, chances are the person who put money into the game is going to consistently get the upper hand over the player who hasnt spent any money, because spending money opens up your Certs for specing into a class (while giving you the weapon(s) you want), whereas if you dont spend any money at-all then you will have less spec'ed into a givin class, because at some point you will have stopped specing to save up for a better gun for w.e class you prefer. Not to mention that the player who spent money is going to be able to play 2-3 different roles with good weapons, whereas the person who has not spent money will only be able to play 1 class competently (or being able to play 2-3 classes, but none of them where they can be played due to splitting certs) because of being restrained by certs..

I agree time = money and money = time, and I dont hate on Planetside 2, I am loving this game.. But the truth is, is that this game IS free to play, but it is a pay to "win" game (up untill a certain amount of time where a person who hasnt spent a single cent has been able to spec + buy the things that a player who has paid has already got)..
  11. ANTiKES

i only buy camo and stuff. I use my default carbine and put 500 certs into a new pistol. Maybe i havent figured out yet why it is p2w...
  12. Matti

Free 2 play or pay 2 win, made a video about it a while ago
    • Up x 2
  13. Millsy

I don't mind f2p which is really p2w, a game has to make money. But it does get a bit frustrating sometimes when SOE take it too far. You know that the burster xp and buff on skyguard are on the way, to then be followed by extra flack armor and better turbos etc etc, but imo SOE wait too long, and it spoils the game a bit.
    As I say, I don't mind f2p, it's obviously the business model that makes the most money, but I would MUCH rather just pay for the game and have it as balanced and fun as it could be without the undercurrent of things being, to some degree, how they are to make cash.
  14. Apina

Planetside 2 is too cool to people to forget. SOE is really the biggest threat, if they dont get enough money, they pull off the plug.
  15. 4set

This is how I feel, I just didnt convey it in the manner of this person..

Again, I never ment what I said to be miscontrued as bashing twords SoE or Planetside 2.
  16. ANTiKES

yupp, that sums up my opinion as well. Do ppl really cry because ppl who pay for xp boots get their weapons faster? How you guys expect the devs to make money? o_O
  17. Pinchy

The problem is that the money spent is not equal to the gain, in other words it's a rip off like all the american pay to win facebook games. $6.50 for one weapon is laughable, the game is also broken and becoming boring fast.

Justify the money spent and they will stop complaining.
  18. ANTiKES

In all honesty, i play LA only and theres really only one carbine atm im interested in. Yes, maybe its annoying when you play a lot of classes which all come with different types of weapons but under the assumption that you only play one certain class where you maybe wanna buy just one or maybe two weapons at max for some time I dont see the outrage. But like i said the more weapons you feel you have to buy the more annoying it is, indeed....

I believe as soon as you find your favourite rifle you barely gonna change it. At least thats my experience in FPS games and maybe thats why they're so expensive....