(Dev's please review this.) How PS2 Works and Where it can be Optimized

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kitsune94, Dec 9, 2012.

1. forkyar

i denie and disagree with your thread.
  2. Kitsune94

@helloworldy
    I believe it is safe to say that PhysX is the primary physics engine in use.

planetside2.exe:
    PhysX_Imports.txt

dll's:
    - PhysX3_x86.dll
    - PhysX3CharacterKinematic_x86.dll
    - PhysX3Common_x86.dll
    - PhysXCooking_x86.dll
    - PhysX3Gpu_x86.dll
    - Apex*.dll's are also part of the PhysX SDK, ApexFramework_x86.dll confirms this with its import of PhysX3Common_x86.dll. I make this apparent because there are several different Apex libraries. libApex for example is an authentication library which offers a forms library based on flash. Similarly, ApexLib is a framework written by Oracle for database management.

I can confirm that the UI is interfaced using Autodesk's Scaleform library.
    - Scaleform_Imports.txt

In regards to what is using the OpenGl, I've found that it's nothing at all. I checked the launchpad.exe after you mentioned it and even that doesn't use them.
    - Dll's_loaded.txt

In relation to an x64 version as many people claim isn't available, We may be able to expect one in the future. I've found that the following .dll's are x64 .dll's.

- cg.dll
    - cgGL.dll
    - cudart64_32_16.dll
    • Up x 2
  3. Kitsune94

Some more left-overs from FreeRealms. Maybe one day we could see [true] Diplomacy and Minigames implemented into certain neutral zones in PS2.

MiniGame - Diplomacy
    • Up x 2
  4. Brusilov [TR]

Probably shouldn't put the names of specific pieces of software that are good places to start for would be hackers.

Maybe a little edit of the OP?
  5. Kitsune94

@Brusilov [TR]
    I have, in my opinion, yet to do so. I've been specifically avoiding places which refer to actual gameplay values in use. I have no intention of helping anyone cheat or hack in this game.
  6. Fish225

It's my understanding that a standard Scaleform UI is created using Flash. Am I wrong about that?
  7. Kitsune94

You are correct.
  8. Wazubaba

Bump in the hopes we'll see some devs respond to this post soon.
  9. abstractconcept

Off-hand: If I remember correctly Scaleform is a more optimized run-time for flash; specifically designed for games with a flash based UI. I don't know why, but Flash seems to be a AAA standard of sorts; for example if you watch an Assasin's Creed game's credits you'll see a notice for Flash, even without something like Scaleform.
  10. Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh

As a Game Dev in progress, I understood almost none of what you said.

I kid. You explained this extremely well.
  11. Kitsune94

I'm glad you see it that way. Unfortunately, many of the people posting seam to think otherwise.
  12. Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Idiots. Don't worry about them. The game is for the more intelligent. We're (You're?) The ones who know what makes the game tick. (Latency update joke. High-five.)

Honestly? The community's going to slowly become smaller and smaller, with more and more of people like you in it. And that's something that I'm looking forward to.
  13. Xae

The parse should only be done once and stored in memory. You can parse tens of thousands of lines of XML per second trivially. While you can millions in BIN/RAW format it should only impact at start up, and even then we're talking about a second or two at launch, max. Gotta remember the Big O, it is more about how many times you do something than how you do something.

NS2 also made some major, major changes in the patch that eliminated Flash. Like switching major chunks of code from LUA to C++. A ton of games use flash, with out major problems.
    Major Nitpick: Interpreted languages includes SQL, which is nearly ubiquitous in both real time and batch applications.
  14. Kitsune94

@Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh
    lol, that joke just made me laugh. That was a good one. Your probably right, though I think it'd be sad for a game with as much potential as it may have to shrink in size. I've experienced that a few times before and it sucks.
  15. SGTTEMPEST

I sure hope they take a look at this stuff. The TESV acceleration layer is a perfect example of the community fixing unoptimized code and knowing more than the devs.
  16. Kitsune94

I agree. Although I don't run the game across all 3 of my monitors, I found that community made patch very intriguing.
  17. Xae

You'll find it is less about "knowing more" and more about "Doesn't have time constraints".

I've worked on my share of performance dogs that I knew how to fix, but I didn't have the hours allocated or time in the day to fix.

It is hard to convince the suit who talks about "synergize'ing the paradigm shift to leverage emerging strategies by touching base with ohgodmakeitstoppleasemakeitstoppleasepleaseendthepain" to let you spend dozens of hours looking at code with the chance of a performance fix that might require major additional investments.
  18. Kitsune94

I work two jobs and go to school, I have no problem working on multiple projects at a time while still having time to play each day. Its really more of whether or not the person wants to do it.
  19. Xae

Bob, I saw you were here late last week, but you only turned in a time sheet for 40 hours.

You need to properly fill out your hourly time sheet for our capital allocation. I don't want to have to make this a performance improvement item you do good work, but you have to fill out the timesheets accurately, you can't be ghosting hours on a personal project. All items you are working on need to be in the project plan and you need to be working on what we allocate you to. We need you full time on those, and I don't want you burned out from other work.

Welcome to the corporate world.
  20. Kitsune94

The name's plisken.