[Suggestion] Topographic map mode

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by rimau79, Dec 10, 2012.

1. rimau79

• Up x 4
  2. Cavadus

It would certainly make estimating terrain a lot easier for us prior-service.
    • Up x 1
  3. TheBloodEagle

As someone who took a GIS (Geographic Information Systems) class in college, I fully support this.
  4. SGTTEMPEST

I would really love to see this feature implemented. The faint contour lines right now are awful. Give us an option to make them the prominent feature on the map.
  5. ytman

6. wowie

This is one of the best things I never knew I wanted. But more pressing issues need fixing, first. :)
    • Up x 1
  7. Village

Yeah i've also been doing GIS and remote sensing, and loving it. We really need detailed contour maps, even map overlays that would show the contour in either a color scale or simple elevation lines. This would make route planning so much easier. In Arma 2 the whole maps topography is incredibly detailed and we need something like this.

Maybe even eventually we could have many different overlays other than just topography, maybe convexity and concavity maps with colour scales so you know where to take cover. If i had a raster data set of the Planetside 2 maps i could whip up the overlays in an hour or so.

At the moment unless you know the map, especially on Indar or Amerish its hard to tell wether you're moving towards a deep canyon or a steep mountain.
  8. Chainlinc3

I'd love to see a whole host of map updates-- the ability to "paint" on the map and have it appear on your squad/outfit's map would be cool for those of us who like to pretend we're planning an operation instead of zerging around the place. Before that, though, the simple ability to just identify roads on the map for squadmates would be helpful-- having someone in your Sunderer shouting "okay, turn left HERE! NO, NO, THE OTHER LEFT!" leaves a bit to be desired in terms of navigation, but at the same time, you don't want to pause and plan your own route when you're under fire.

...Then again, I suppose that sort of experience IS realistic, even if it is annoying.

Anyway, I fully support map improvements. I feel like, with a game of this scope, the map has so much potential to be a player tool instead of just a victory tally, but it's not implemented that way currently.
    • Up x 1
  9. NCEagle2

This will be very useful for pre-planning strategic routes via air.
    I say this as someone studying aviation.
  10. DukeFlash

Normally I'm against necroing threads, NCEagle2, but topographic map view sounds pretty useful.
    This is assuming the map is kept accurate in the first place...
  11. Kwanza

Jesus yes please - it is a complete **** show trying to find proper positions with the current maps bc they completely suck. Finding what appears to be high ground only to have it be a blemish in the terrain is absolutely terrible.
  12. Kwanza

Also in regards to painting on maps/designating roads - YES PLEASE

C3 features are something this game is sorely lacking in and I believe it's a large contributor to the constant zerging we see. (C3 = Command, Control, Communication)
  13. Big Cyz

Mad idea! Swart! :D
  14. TheArchetype

15. riker

you are AMAZING, this is probably one of the best ideas for the map yet! especially for amerish