Infiltrator not just a sniper

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by SeasickSand, Dec 9, 2012.

1. SeasickSand

Kk so i like sniping now and then, its viable in situatsion, but i rarely use the hacking mechanic or actually infiltrate a base or anything at all, because when the opportunity presents itself, the threat has already been neutralized and there isn't much need for hacking. Of course everything has it's ups and downs and exceptions.

Anyhow what i'm, proposing is to lower the scout-rifles cost by 50% atleast. I'd like to have the option to get a weapon for the INFILTRATOR that doesn't sentence me to a camping spot, without bleeding my eyes out for certs. Ofc i could buy SC and get it, but even then 7 euros or dollars to do what you should be able to do efficiently anyway is too much and just overpriced.

Cheers
  2. YelkoBurger

Even if this happened, INFs still suffer at close range.
  3. SeasickSand

True, but there would at least be a chance to realize the situations when you do get behind enemy lines. Sniping or pistoling in that situation isn't very effective.
  4. Marzipanzer

I find the infiltrator is a more essential member of the team in organized operations. Vindicators, for example, tends to hot drop infiltrators into a base via a galaxy and then proceed to hack all the terminals to spawn a sunderer. It also has the side effect of giving the defenders barely any terminals to work with, as well as no immediate vehicle support.
  5. Harkmagic

Hacking as great for Infiltrators. I suck at PS2 combat all around. I sneak behind enemy lines and hack all of the terminals at an base before moving on to the next.

By itself not all that great, but if I do this at several bases behind where the major battles are happening, when my side breaks through they have an unstoppable wave of momentum. The enemy can't produce vehicles and aircraft to counter what my own side has because I ensured that my side has all of the terminals.

And I get to sit back and go "wow, I just did all that. My faction just gained a whole bunch of territories in a matter of minutes because I did the prep work."

Now if only they didn't turn around and lose all of my hard work when the enemy falls back to some place I haven't been yet and puts together a massive counter attack.
    • Up x 1
  6. Blackhand

Yea I like to try and stay one zone ahead of my platoon, scouting and "prepping" the bases via hacking. It helps so much to have the terminals locked out and a sundy parked ready for the larger force to come in.
  7. SeasickSand

Ok i'l just remind rephrase some parts that might confuse:

I'm not saying anything against hacking or infiltrating in that sense. Just that i believe it would be better and being an infiltrator would be more flexible with a scout-rifle, which atm costs too much considering its viability( in my personal opinion). What i'm proposing is to lower the costs of scout-rifles so more people, who wish, could get their hands on it.
  8. m44v

No. Infiltrators are only suitable for sniper role, people that don't snipe are in for a world of pain and frustration.
  9. Blackhand

I agree about cert costs of new weapons being pretty high but thats the brakes of a F2P game.
  10. Fishie

I have to drop a word of caution about the scout rifles. Infiltrator as close-to-medium range really isn't very viable if you're interested in a good K/D ratio. It's given me plenty of angst, but I think I've managed to tell myself all that matters is that I'm having fun. :D

Not always the case, but I'm getting there!
  11. Ganen

what needs to be done, besides the accessibility of the current full auto rifle, is to create another one that is on par with at least a carbine, currently it is not, the smaller ammo clip and handling shortcomings are hardly fair, I do get why they cant get the heavier assault rifles obviously, and shotguns would be too imba with the powerful element of surprise of stealth, but, a carbine is hardly a devastating weapon, engies got it cuz they are support, light assault cuz of their mobility with jetpack, but stands to reason a normal carbine would be accessible to infiltrators.

I mean It doesn't make sense that the infiltrator, who's main job requires him to go around deep enemy territory and bases, most often alone, has only 3 weapons that are even viable to do so, 2 of them cost 700 SC or 1000 certs, and neither is on par with ANY weapon all other classes use.

don't get me wrong, I love playing infiltrator, its my favorite class, I use Artemis with suppressor and forward grip and heat 1X scope all the time, but the times I have to resort to my pistol even on 1v1 encounters are just too many, I also have to constantly worry about where to find a clear infantry console to hack to replenish ammo.
    the ghost is my personal second favorite, the problem is how slow it is to change back and forth to scope sight, needless to say that negates part of its advantage of how faster its bolt action is.

not gonna comment on the nyx, I cannot even comprehend how people claim to use it well in CQC...
    • Up x 1
  12. SGTTEMPEST

I figured this out pretty quickly once I unlocked the scout rifles too. How I feel about it depends on what mood I am in when I'm playing. I'm trying not to pay attention to k/d but going back and forth between crysis 2 and this makes it hard. Their loading screens says "Try and maintain a high k/d ratio" :S
    • Up x 1
  13. Blackhand

Currently the semi auto scout rifles for some odd reason have more recoil than the semi auto snipers. I think thats a mistake that will be fixed but until then give the low zoom semi auto snipers a shot. Higher damge that the scouts and less recoil. Cant use laser for hip fire but you should only be hip firing these in a panic, in which case at point blank range you wont miss much. Use a low magnification scope, supressor and forward grip and you got a very versatile weapon that functions very well at close to med range.
  14. Fishie

Yeah, my experience with the nyx is essentially just a glorified beamer... Any kill I get with it, I could just as well have got with the beamer. You know, coming up from behind when the target is distracted, that sort of thing. If the enemy is aware of your presence, the nyx becomes completely useless.

A carbine sounds perfectly acceptable. I see no reason why this wouldn't be fine. Honestly, the class desperately needs a viable CQC alternative, or a name change.
  15. 888GRM

As for vanu just give me that medic starter gun that is already so much better than the artemis and im happy.
  16. Drazen

the cost of the scout rifles will do nothing to improve the class. The scout rifles themselves must be improved.
  17. SeasickSand

I trialed both the scout rifles and imo they were fine. I don't think the infiltrator needs any major improvements, works as intended right now, but the scout-rifles are just a bit too expensive considering their viability to the class (IMO). Guns were fine and not trying to make everything free here either, because that just is f2p and SoE has done it incredibly well.
    The idea of the post is not to make infiltrators mega-close-quaters-pwners, but rather let them have a say in close quaters a bit easyer( lower cost for the current pretty solid scout rifles), because i think they do have that built into them, yet the weapon drawback is a tad too large.
  18. ST4LK3R

i'm glad that no one's complaining about cloak/de-cloak sound.
    • Up x 1