Intermittent freezing

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ImStillAlive, Nov 26, 2012.

1. MXXVI

I'm perfectly open to any possibility at the moment, though I have to say...I have my doubts that it is in any way memory related.

Personally, I have an 8GB page file that never gets even close to filling, an HD that never thrashes...and when the game runs out of physical memory, it simply crashes (usually after an hour of playing, and many MANY freezes).

Since we're seeing people on 64-bit systems encountering the problem just as much as 32-bit users...I dunno. If it's memory related, it's really really screwy, because *quantity* doesn't seem to matter.
  2. Warshark

After having played a bit more, this issue appears to be similar to an issue in another FPS game that I played. (I believe it was Offensive Combat, but I'm not sure) Whenever a new player entered the game, it would freeze for about a second or two while that player was loaded in. Everyone froze during that time; it wasn't exclusive to anyone.

Yesterday, I had zoned in to a base that appeared to be under attack, but actually only had a few defenders and 1 or 2 attackers that just kept running in and dying. During this time, I didn't freeze up once. Then more attackers started arriving and then more defenders started arriving. At around 15-20 players on each side, the game started its intermittent freezing again. After a little bit of that, it let up and I didn't freeze at all for the rest of the battle.

Earlier today, I zoned in to a base that was under pretty heavy attack with a good number of defenders (around 40-50 players on each side). Like clockwork, the game did its intermittent freezing. After about 10-15 minutes of this, it let up again and I didn't freeze once for the rest of that battle as well.

TL,DR:
    I think this issue has something to do with loading players into a zone/continent/etc. I don't know if it's an issue with the way the game (re)loads things when a(some) new player(s) join the zone or if it's an (somewhat) unrelated issue that presents itself when people get loaded in or something else, but it really does appear to be an issue that happens when information is being relayed after people are loaded into a zone.
  3. Thorspride

I am having the same issues with 3-5 seconds of freezing every 1-2min or so.

Running
    Win 7 64 bit
    Core 2 Duo E8400 3ghz (Running it at 3.6ghz)
    6gb DDR 2 Ram
    GTX 550 TI

Any additional info would be appreciated!
  4. Axe780

lets be honest here guys, if you all have played as many games as I have, you know this is a problem with the game. all computer specs here are fine. i have no problems running any other games except this one. someone said that PS2 is actually only in the open beta phase. if so, im just gonna wait until the developers can fix this problem.

however, keep the posts coming, they're great and it keeps this problem updated. i check this thread regularly.
  5. TeeBagit

It definitely is an open beta regardless of what anybody from SOE tells us. At this point I think I have a better chance of finding a 3-legged unicorn before this game is considered playable for the masses.
  6. MXXVI

Yes, we established this a while back, due to the differences in hardware. But the fact remains, not *everyone* is having this problem. So even if we accept that it's not, strictly speaking, a hardware or driver issue...the fact is, something specific (and common to everyone here) is triggering this fault.

Maybe we'll stumble upon it while we wait for them to fix it.

Alternatively, if the developers themselves have seen this thread and happen to *know* what's causing it, it'd be nice if they dropped by... *cough*
  7. ImStillAlive

I'm leaning toward a server sync issue now.
  8. ghisl

Is everyone here using netgear wireless transmiter ?
  9. MXXVI

I'm not, no. Assuming you do mean a netgear router.
  10. ghisl

yep that kind of things
  11. k1ckstand

Hey all, new player here. I want to contribute to the thread since this is a day one issue for me having just installed the game.

System hardware specs

CPU -- AMD Phenom X4 940 BE @ 3400 MHz
    MB -- Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    RAM -- 8 GB of G.Skill PC2-6400 @ 400 MHz 4-4-4-10
    VGA -- Sapphire Radeon 4850 @ 700 MHz core / 1000 MHz memory
    SOUND -- Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Operating system environment

Fresh install of Windows XP x64 SP2
    Using Catalyst 12.6
    19 processes in background at idle, including Explorer.exe
    No antivirus or other non-OS processes that would periodically poll the hard disks
    Roughly 100 MB of memory used when idle

Scenario

After the game has launched and the assets have fully loaded, there is an intermittent "pause" in rendering that occurs every 30 to 45 seconds with a duration of around 5 seconds. Graphical settings do not affect the frequency or duration of "pause." Issue does not seem to be related to player density, network latency or server-side polling since it persists at the player selection screen as well.

When the "pause" occurs, CPU usages drops from 50% across all cores to around 2% across all cores. In-game sound and cursor remain unaffected. Catalyst driver is not triggering a "VPU Recovery." System monitoring applications on a secondary display remain responsive.

Postulates

To be honest, I am a bit stumped. The same machine runs any number of other taxing titles just fine, but chokes on Planetside 2. Odd thing is, Planetside 2 doesn't even come close to maxing my machine. Average resource usage is 50% CPU, 80% GPU and 2 GB RAM.

After combing through the other posts, I can only assume that this is an issue with some process related to Planetside 2 or something that Station Launcher keeps in the background.

Now that I think about it, Everquest 2 and Vanguard have the same problem on this machine as well, albeit to a lesser extent. Anyone else thinking this may be tied to some SOE anti-cheat process polling the system? Someone out there with an EQ2 or VG account able to confirm that this is an problem for them as well?

Grasping at threads here, but there really doesn't seem to be a common factor among the people experiencing this issue so it has to be something with the game itself.

TL;DR

Game unplayable unenjoyable, please fix.
  12. SilentStrike

same here, but it changes depending on what vid card I have (and yes I use driver sweeping and ccleaner ) I get these "hiccups" where frame rate goes from 30-40 down to 0-1 for about 2 seconds then back to 30-40, seems to be tied to bullets as far as I can tell

my Geforce does this about every 15-30 seconds
    my ATI does this about every 60 seconds sometimes longer

the other thing I have noticed is that is that my ATI runs the game smoother with less hiccups but actually gets less FPS

with geforce
    at warp gate I get 70+ but as soon as I leave it it drops to 30-50 with all settings on low
    it goes from 40-50 down to 30ish with all settings maxed
    big fights it gets about 35-40 (with recent update 9-25) no difference between graphics settings at all

with ati
    at warp gate I get 30-40 with no change leaving with all low
    it goes down to 9-12 with all maxed LOL
    big fights with all low 25-40 I have tried this with anything but low settings on my ati lol

it seems that we had an update sometime earlier (12/10/12) have not tried with the geforce but as soon as i logged in with this ati I literally only saw my gun and icons, the world itself was not there, will try to to adjust some things and see whats what LOL

just remembered I have the exact same problem with the hiccups in SWtoR only since they went to F2P, just a shot in the abyss but do you think it may have some remote possibility of being tied to the in-game store? maybe syncing cash/certs to an outside source??
  13. Urithar

New player to, similair issues, i like the earlier poster's format so gonna use it.

System hardware specs
    CPU --Intel E8400 dual core @ 3600 MHz
    MB -- Asus P5E
    RAM -- 4 GB PC2-6400
    VGA -- Sapphire Radeon 4850 @ 700 MHz core / 1000 MHz memory (same overclock as other poster :) )
    SOUND -- Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Operating system environment
    Windows XP 32bit
    Catalyst 12.6 (fresh install, sweeped drivers)

Scenario
    Game settings: from everything on Low (30-60fps) to low+50% rendering (40-70fps) makes no difference.
    There is an intermittent "pause" every 10 to 30 seconds with a duration of around 5 seconds. Amount of players does not seem to affect this, in a empty area i got it often, as well. I had 1 play through of about 45 minutes with a lot of players where this issue was less (lag every 45+ seconds) Issue persists at the player selection screen as well.
    Sound seems to be looping now and then during the freeze especially gun sounds, It looks like i am a exception in that.

Note
    I see a lot of Windows XP users and a lot with a bit older CPU/GPU to. My feeling based guess is it is related to that...
  14. MXXVI

If it was, I'd expect to see a correlation between general poor performance and this freezing. Problem is, for many of us, the game is otherwise running smoothly.
  15. Stugats

Wow, we have like the exact same specs almost. Except my 4850 is not OC'd, and I'm running onboard sound.

A few people have mentioned that they developed the intermittent freezing after a patch. Anyone know the date/version of the patch???

Thoughts: From similar experiences in the past, it could have something to do with the sound. Either old drivers or more likely the programming or the way the sound uses RAM and so forth. I know I can induce the bug on the character selection screen by going into any dropdown menu (especially in settings) and scrolling through them/selecting different settings at random. Could also have something to do with the way texture loading is handled as others have mentioned.
  16. Arcanum

Same issue here. Actually set all my settings to low in a desperate attempt to solve it. Oddly, haven't crashed into anything nor died when the freezes occurred. Hope it was a coincidence.

Here, the freezes are much rarer, something like every 10 or 20 minutes, usually happens when I get to a new area. Started with last patch. Menus and initial loading of the character(when you're stuck in a screen with the crosshairs) also seem to be much slower and happen more often. Sometimes it freezes and the game starts showing the skybox over the actual graphics, flickering rapidly and making the game unplayable. Sometimes it starts like this. After this patch you can't fix that by respawning or messing with the menus, you can't fix it by logging out and back in either, you have to close the game.
  17. ImStillAlive

Seems to be different now in the way that sometimes video freezes up and sound keeps going and sometimes sound freezes up (keeps repeating an unmodified buffer) and video keeps going and sometimes both sound and video freeze up at the same time.
    Now I get the impression that it may be a directx problem on the game code side.

Either way; it's a FUFU game (For Unplayable Fail Uninstall). Much like carrier command gaea mission - which I got on the same weekend as this. Most terrible weekend ever!
  18. MXXVI

Sounds like different issues to be honest; I've never known something like this to suddenly change its basic symptoms, only the severity of those symptoms.

lol, you need more to worry about :p
  19. Ares

I'm getting the issue as well now too. Been playing since Tech test back in July, no issues until after the Double XP weekend. Now I'm getting intermittent stuttering. I'll be playing with 40-60 FPS and then BAM, I'm down to 5 for a minute or two, then right back to normal. This will happen once every 5-20 minutes.

I thought it might be something to do with video drivers or overheating, but I've updated and blown out my system and still having this happen.
  20. Stugats

This sounds like a completely unrelated issue. Have you read the thread?
    We're not talking about a drop in framerate, we're talking full blown freezing of the game (sometimes looping sound) for 5 seconds every 20 or so seconds.
    • Up x 1