Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Xavstar

Nvidia GTX 670 is a great card. I tried ultra graphics settings but in a large fire fight at a base FPS went below 40 and I could feel the jittery lag. But EVGA Precision was not reporting the GPU at 100%. It was around 70% and the CPU was not maxed out either. I have multiple monitors so I can see the stats during game play.

So I will stick with high settings. Anyhow the game still looks awesome.

When Planetside 1 was released I had a Geforce 3 Ti 128MB and ran the game at 1280x1024.
  2. dazzaw

Thanks for the post nice to know things are still in the works. for the record this is my system, im getting 30-40 fps in a fight

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Asus Matrix Platinum 7970, core @ 1100Mhz Mem @6600Mhz (1920x1080 Res)
    16 gig Patriot 2133Mhz Dual Core DDR3
    MSI Mpower Z77 Motherboard

everthing is on latest drivers/fireware asof 08/12/12 running 12.11 Beta driver for my 7970
  3. VaporousShadow

With everything on the lowest possible settings i am getting 35-40 fps in fights and 45-50 fps in low population areas. This is a big improvement since beta, but until i can get a smooth 60 FPS i wont be investing myself in this game.

Intel i5 650 @ 3.20 GHz
    AMD Radeon HD 6850
    8 gb RAM
  4. mmstick

Guys, seriously. Open your UserOptions.ini and reduce the RenderDistance from -1 to something like 500-1000. You will get significantly higher framerates supposing you have a good GPU like a Radeon HD 7900 series card.
  5. dr_Fell

After some .ini changes I got stable 30-35 in large fights, as for Yesterday. Today, in big, but not extremaly large fights I am getting 20-30 FPS. Anyone can explain this ?
  6. MacStew

I tried everything it's not playable so it's over for me.
  7. yogafire

I am still downloading this game so I have not played yet, but it sounds pretty demanding. Why is this game so much more based on CPU instead of GPU like normal FPS games is it something to due with all the threading stuff?
  8. mmstick

It's simply not threaded at all where it counts. Remember when enabling shadows in a game had a drastic reduction in framerates? Yeah, none of the rendering tasks are on separate threads, they are running in serial alongside the main code, that's why we see terribad framerates on otherwise high end machines. I can't think of a single FPS these days that doesn't have all those threaded. BF3 is the best example of proper threading.
  9. r.Tek

Try this.

10. Kyuu

Sorry if this was posted / answered previously. But is PS2 taking full advantage of SLi? I have two 670s found Here and I am running on ultra. I get 120FPS(Large scale battles actually bring it down to around 80). Which I'm NOT complaining about, but in games that require similar and higher specs I find I get much more.

My Rig is:

ASUS Maximus
    PC Power & Cooling PSU
    G.SKILL RipJaws X 32GB
    Intel I7 3770k @ 4.9GHz
    Thermaltake Water2.0 PRO
    And the afore mentioned video cards EVGA 670

Edit: Using the latest nVidia beta drivers as well
  11. dr_Fell

lol... Big thanks. I have heard about this, but I didn't think that in my case (Phenom II and old mobo) it will give anything. But today, when my fps again dropped to 20 I decided to try that. My FPS went up 70% from 25 to 40-50 with the same settings. Game is giving me more fun now.

I just can't understand why Sony won't recommend this if it is so simple and why other games doesn't have problems with core parking. Moreover, what's even more strange - after I had unparked my cores, my FPS went up, my cpu usage... dropped. Before it was 80% for core 0 and 50% for cores 1-3. Now it is 80% for core 0 and 30-40 % for cores 1-3. This game has really strange code. But I love gameplay and thanks to You I can now play without frustration. Thanks again !
    • Up x 1
  12. k3lt

Yeah and get ***** by people which are not rendered on your screen.
  13. PEETREE

i changed my render distance to 1500 and i never get ****** by people that aren't rendered on my screen.

Besides, on the off chance i do get ****** by someone not rendered, I'd rather get ****** at 60 fps than at 30 fps
  14. k3lt

Yeah except that on the affected cpus changing distance does nothing, no improve at fps at all.
    So keep fooling yourself with that 30-60 fps increase.
  15. Comradical

Next time listen to what Total Biscuit says, the launch of this game should have been delayed until it was at a state people would want to stick with it.

But yeah it's a big challenge getting an online shooter of this scale optimized, as far as I see it we're currently in a post-beta phase where it's still being developed.

The promise of "One day more continents, and even planets" is enough to keep me playing.
  16. Comradical

I do hope Sony has a plan for all the Aim Botters besides dropping the banhammer on them though, you can't ban that problem away.

I'd personally suggest doing what Rockstar does, move them to their own server without telling them, let them waste eachother's time and throw money at you until they realize they've just been trolled.
  17. -OxyGen

plz plz plz plz !!! I am bagging you pllllz!! check out the "stop working" problem on win7 32 bit pllllzzz!!! plz
  18. jordo2k1

Just found this on the planetside 2 site describing the forgelight engine which planetside 2 is made in lmfao this is some seriously funny ****!

TO TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE

OF EACH MACHINE'S CAPABILITIES

ForgeLight is designed to take full advantage of each machine's capabilities without slowing performance or affecting gameplay. Impressive lighting, graphic and environmental effects will not compromise the in-game action.
  19. Joltly

When you say you aren't done optimizing does that mean you will ever lower your system requirements, I have a laptop that can almost run the game but the graphics card isn't good enough. Or does it mean you are improving the game for the players who can already run it? Please do reply because I would like to know if it is worth it to keep this game even though I can't play it.
  20. Ezekius

CPU:
    Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.60GHz (Stable)
    RAM:
    16.0 GB
    Motherboard:
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Graphics:
    AMD Radeon HD 6850

I play on high settings, and I never get frame drops in fights.

I still get the blinking crash screen once an awhile though.

I did have an old Q6600 I was using before I upgraded the other week, and I would get massive frame drops when in fights, so I know how frustrating it is. I just took it as a sign to upgrade, and luckily I was able to afford to do so at the moment.

Despite the minor hiccups of frame drops, I am still blown away with how well this game runs when there is massive battles, it is truly impressive, and if it can only get better, then right on.