The magrider

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Palladuix, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Palladuix

So as usual, this is mostly my experiences and opinions.
    I play all factions and am happy with most of the balance.
    But lets talk about the magrider. When playing vanu, i absolutely love this thing. Makes me feel boss. But as the other factions, i am noticing it is disliked and feels . . . . . unfair. When i get killed by a prowler or a vanguard, my first reaction is to get a little frustrated. But when the Magrider kills me, I tend to curse and throw things. I think that the magrider's mobility needs a bit of a nerf.
    Now before i get jumped on, let me explain. Just a minute ago at tawrich, we were getting pushed back by about 50 magriders on indar from the north. One of the bases is a checkpoint, and instead of having infantry take the base like a prowler or vanguard spam would have had to , they climbed up something and were in the base farming us in no time. (as nc).
    This is the first thing frustrating about the magrider: It's manouverability makes it almost impossible to fight at all.
    The second problem with the Magrider is the spam. Whenever i am fighting as one, i always seem to be with 20+ others. I have even noticed vanu taking esamir specifically for that vehicle rescource, every night. The spam of this is incredibly frustrating for anybody fighting it, and if you kill one the driver or gunner normally has enough rescources to grab another, immediatly.
    It just feels unfair, whether it is or not.
    Just an opinion.
    sorry for the spelling and wall of text.
    Try to keep it civil.
    Palladuix.
  2. Tantal

Aw sweet, another "nerf it" thread. It just wouldn't feel right if there weren't multiple threads asking for nerfs on page 1.
    • Up x 2
  3. Ginosaji

I agree. We should make all factions exactly the same.
  4. Hoki

They're the most maneuverable thing on the ground and they fire infantry ****** death balls. Its impossible to get them stuck and you can drive them pretty much anywhere.

On the flip side, they probably roadkill more vanu than they kill enemy infantry.
    • Up x 2
  5. d1spatch

Nothing wrong with the magrider.
  6. Cyridius

There's alot "wrong" with them.
    They strafe faster than your rocket moves. You NEED lock on missiles for these ******** unless they roll right into a base. Dumbfire missiles do nothing for them. They are maneuverable as hell and dominate in any medium-long range tank fights because they move out of the way of incoming fire 10x easier than other tanks. They dominate in any close range tank fights because they can move into the optimal position to deal the most damage at side or rear armour whilst simultaneously keeping their front armour facing you.

2 things need to happen to make Magriders fair. Or at least 1.
    1) Make their strafe speed slower
    2) Make them take more damage to frontal armour. Right now it's impossible to flank these things and you can be pounding on the front armour all day before you scratch the bloody paint. The ACTUAL reasoning as to why tanks have always taken more damage to the rear(Both in real life and in games) is because that is where the engine is, so armour isn't as thick to prevent over heating. Consider the Magrider's method of movement - that's no conventional engine.
    • Up x 1
  7. voldoman

The Magrider gets agility in exchange for it being weaker against attack. I love my Maggies, it never gets old blasting infantry with my plasma balls of doom, but they're such glass cannons.
  8. Kupcake

I'm a tanker. I'm going to bring up a few points, and I want you to consider them.

The Magrider isn't really the best infantry farming tank. It's far from the worst, but every tank can fill this role effectively. The Prowler, by far, has the best suppressive firepower against infantry. While the Prowler deals half of Vanguard damage in direct hits against vehicles, all tank turrets of a specific type deal the exact same anti-infantry splash per shot as other turrets of that type. This includes the Prowler, which deals _full_ AI splash damage per shot. So against infantry, it basically has an average fire rate of one full power shot per 1.75 seconds vs 4 seconds for the Vanguard and 3.75 seconds for the Magrider. Meanwhile, the Vanguard has the best armor, and it's the only tank which viably hulls down, making it good for both long-range defense and bombarding base defenders. The Magrider, on the other hand, has to present its full profile for each shot, but as a balancing factor, it can dodge rockets. Against good tankers who consistently dodge your fire, it can get really irritating. Good magrider tankers will also engage medium or large-sized infantry forces from their range of choice, medium-long, and make constant use of terrain cover and their strafing abilities, but that limits their ability to suppress you.

In actual vehicle combat, the Magrider is probably the best at medium-long range combat, but the Vanguard is a very capable combatant. Assuming they all have their AV secondaries equipped, the Magrider will lose 1v1 close up battles against either the Prowler or Vanguard, if it can't maneuver quickly to fire rear shots. And both opposing tanks have tactics to avoid this happening. The Vanguard is probably fairly evenly matched with the Magrider at medium range. The shield is far more useful in tank duels than the magburner is. And the Enforcer hits about as hard as the Saron, if you're close enough to reliably land its slow-moving projectile. Only the Prowler really falls behind in tank duels, as its firepower is far more difficult to project in medium or long range.

So the Prowler needs some general buffs and the other AV secondaries need slight reworking. That's not what's annoying you.

Here's the thing which is probably really annoying you about the magrider. The VS loves them. If you like big battles, you will never see _1_ magrider. You will see probably 5-20, and a never-ending stream of tank reinforcements if you kill some. No faction commits as hard to tank zerging because, frankly, only tank gameplay enthusiasts are that heavily drawn to the Prowler or Vanguard. Meanwhile, almost every VS loves the magrider.

But honestly, with that level of tank zerging, the type of tank becomes irrelevant. In fact, the magrider is the worst zerg tank. Magriders excel at medium-long range combat with plenty of room to maneuver. You try to ram a million of them into a base, they're suddenly weaker against infantry than either the prowler or vanguard. They just seem the most OP while zerging because the magrider factory never stops churning.
    • Up x 6
  9. Kediec

Actually, Prowler is much better against infantry duue to it's 2 shot mechanism and its AOE splash with the HE weapon.

Magrider is more manouverable yes, i agree.
    Yes, it can climb places that other tanks possible can't (although i have got up some of theplaces in lightnings that others have said are impossible unless in a Mag).
    It has it's bad sides though. It's turret is fixed, meaning it has to turn the whole tank when fighting for the main gun to hit.
    It's main gun is sited much lower on the body meaning it has a much harder time shooting over small humps and rocks that a Van or Prowler can easily shoot over, the Mag has to manouver around them.
    A slight hill in front of a Mag means the mag has to actually go up it to fire at anything further past it, but the other tanks don't always need to.
    It's flatter trajectory (not completely flat as the main gun still arcs jsut not so bad ) means it can't "lob" shots like the other 2 tanks can, which makes it harder to hit things behind obstacles compared to the Van and Prowler.

If a Magrider has to drive away from an engagement it has to do so by reversing which makes its retreat slower, especially if it still wants to return any sort of fire with the enemy.

While they may not seem like big things, they all add up and balance out.
  10. Tantal

Strafe speed was already nerfed. 15kph is what it is right now if memory serves right. TR and NC tanks are easier to hit because most of the time they face you with their front and sit still. Face the enemy with the side while moving back and forth, and congratulations, you are now "strafing" faster than a Magrider is capable of. All you have to do is think a little to take advantage of what your tank has to offer.

The comment about Magriders dominating at close range, especially against enemy tanks, is plain absurd. I simply love the posts calling for nerfs that not only claim things which are not true, but also completely ignore any shortcomings of the thing that the poster wants nerfed.
  11. Hoki

That statement is only qualified on paper, the statistics that we don't have, but we experience, prove or disprove the theory.

Right now, from most people's experience, magriders are ****** everything on the ground. Weaknesses and strengths on paper is like a religion in a way. Sometimes you just have to want to believe.
  12. Dubious

Magrider is only tank that is balanced
    Vanguard just need a better 2nd gun
    Prowler need main gun change and a better 2nd gun
  13. P4nda

^ This. As a vanu who's been playing every day since AS, I've seen some massive battles, I've been in huge Mag zergs and honestly.....

Just read this.
  14. Tantal

Sounds to me like the statement is qualified from in game experience and actually coming from someone familiar with Magriders instead of moaning "ermahgerd nerf pls." Notice how he pointed out things that OP and others did not even mention.
  15. WhiteWolf

I would like to point something out. In PS1, the Magrider had the same mobility it does now, but without the MagBurner (which doesn't come default, mind you), but the main barrel was the gunners turret. The front locked gun was the PPA anti infantry gun. Somehow, however, this was fine. There was no complaining about the Magrider in PS1.
    You want to take a gun that has to turn the ENTIRE THING to fire the main barrel, and reduce it's mobility.

Sure I can get my Magrider to some odd places that other tanks can't go, but once I'm there, if it's tight quarters, I'm a sitting duck for HA, Engineers, and LA with C4.
  16. General Sherman

The reason we sit still is because we're trying lead a shot on a tank that won't stop moving and as for the "strafing" thing aren't the sides weaker than the front meaning we'd only go up faster?

Plus you have to figure the sides of the Vanguard and Prowler are bigger than the front by a fair amount meaning that's a nice big target for more Sharon hits.

Also if we strafe in the manner you suggest it makes it a nightmare to pull back to cover since we'll need to either bring the front around and slowly back up or expose the rear armor.

Not to mention the fact that at the MAGs usual engagement range HA rockets have no chance to hit unless a driver is a moron or you have lock on meaning defending a position with Infantry in cover is useless, at the very least the Prowler and VAN can be scared off by good HA shots as long as the tank count is reasonable.

The Mag needs something done, there's gotta be a reason the VS defend Esamir on Matterson like it was the Holy Land.
  17. Hoki

I'm sorry if I was too vague, I meant data. Magrider performance in the various scenarios that tanks commonly face.

You can list theoretical downsides but the numbers don't lie.

We don't have the numbers, we just know that they outperform other tanks from personal experience.

SOE has the numbers, its up to them to decide if the weaknesses justify the strength.
  18. IGELmitDEAGLE

Magrider really needs a buff. Its way too slow and fragile.
    Under enemy fire it gets even slower and you cant shoot to the sides while driving at high speeds.
    • Up x 1
  19. notyourbuddy

Tanks are balanced because two shots in the rear = death.

Magriders are of course designed so that they never have to expose their sides or rear for the duration of a fight. Doesn't matter if they have to chase you around a building, maneuver its way out of a base, or escape from a battle in a hurry. Its all done with its front always facing any potential threat while it easily strafe dodges any incoming fire. Even if you sneak behind one and pop it in the hiney it can do a 180 degree spin in half a second and play the strafing game. Uh oh the Magrider in trouble? Magbooster at the speed of light half way across the map and repair in peace.

Those Vanu scientists are quite devious!
  20. Pin_Cushion

He's talking about strafing back and forth into and out of cover.

You get behind rock/hill/whatever and turn sideways, then swivel your turret to face your targets. You reverse out of cover, fire your guns, drive back into cover. No turning, and it's very fluid. I generally prefer to reverse out of cover, because I want to get back into it quickly. However, this will leave your rear armor exposed. Which you prefer depends on the situation and terrain.

And, FWIW, I'm a terrible tanker in PS2 but this stuff translates very well from World of Tanks which I played the daylights out of. I still need more practice in tanks, but I'm really enjoying the infantry side of it so far.