How do you utilize the existing MANA turret effectively?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Exlor, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Hashi

I use it exactly like this. But to be honest, there are times when it's good to mow down (taking bases and bottlenecking the enemy)
  2. TokyoShoe

Others have probably stated this and I missed it but:

I believe the single greatest thing about the MANA Turret is the lack of a cooldown. As soon as you place one, you only have to worry about using it for some 10 seconds while your ACE Tool is on cooldown. Once that short cooldown is clear and you find yourself needing a better spot, simply abandon the one you've got placed and move on.

The primary key for the MANA Turret really does seem to be this disposable factor. As soon as you get lazy and want to stay at one spot for too long, you get grenaded or sniped. Place it, crank it until it overheats then dump it and move on with your existence. Don't get hung up on where you've placed it, if it needs repairing. Throw away turret.

That is just my opinion, however, and in now way a statement of fact.
    • Up x 1
  3. Schenck

I use it once in a while to lay down suppressive fire down a corridor. Also, an engineer behind a turret is almost always primary target for the enemy. While that rewards us most certainly with a clean headshot, it can make the enemy overlook more dangerous targets that get a chance to flank them. So we take the bullet for the team!
  4. Pyldrvr

I hardly ever even pull one out these days. It is very lack luster and extremely limited since it is stationary as well as lit up like a christmas tree. Rather just use my underslung grenades. If only they would fix the reload on those things...
  5. Gary

Deploy mana turret stand slighty away from it. Shoot all the idiots who stand in the open with rocket launchers or any snipers looking for the easy headshot. You are stood near it not using it. It is pretty much a death wish item if you sit on it.

The only other use i have found is for ambushing armor with it. Deploy it in the road. Many vehicles ram the turrets instead of shooting them especially when they are empty. Upon contacting with and destroying the turret the vehicle gets stopped in its tracks and cant move on until the little stand as despawned :D providing an easy stationary target for shooting :D
  6. Tvayumat

He's like the Vanu Jesus
  7. supahitecjetfyta

i prefer to just use my quad as a turret, the 50cal is way more accurate on the quad than the mana turret is.
    i used the turret once today and i had to aim about 10ft below the enemy to hit them when i was lower than they were.
    antigrav bullets? o_O
  8. Goats

Something I just figure out today: You can shoot through the shield for your turret, while enemies cannot. It's pretty helpful when using it as cover.
  9. Dakkaface

I mostly use it as the others in this thread have mentioned - cover, step-stool, roadblock, distraction. I will say this though - the MANA is murderous in bio-lab defense. A few set up to cover the landing pads' gravity lifts and it's like skeet shooting. Everything that isn't a MAX dies in a second. Of course, you do die from grenades and the odd cloaker that makes it up the lift while cloaked, but in those positions there's usually plenty of medics around to rez you, and getting 3+ kills per death is worth it. But that's really the ONLY place I ever man a turret, and even there it's annoying how many friendlies run into my line of fire.
    • Up x 3
  10. FidoMushu

Sounds like you may have triggered Nvidia's time bomb by installing an additional AMD GPU in your computer. See this Wikipedia paragraph:

"Versions 186 and newer of the ForceWare drivers disable PhysX hardware acceleration if a GPU from a different manufacturer, such as AMD, is present in the system.[14] Representatives at Nvidia stated to customers that the decision was made due to development expenses, and for quality assurance and business reasons.[15] This decision has caused a backlash from the community that led to the creation of a community patch for Windows 7, circumventing the GPU check in Nvidia's updated drivers. To counter this patch, Nvidia implemented a time bomb in driver versions 196 and 197 that slowed down hardware accelerated PhysX and reversed the gravity,[16] but an updated version of the patch removed all unwanted effects.[17]" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX
  11. Sian

turret would be more useful if it wasn't so finicky about placement. I've done good work with it before, but it's just chance whether or not I'll killstreak with it or get my head shot off right after getting on it. if I could place it in spots that weren't perfectly even and level, it would be a lot better.
  12. Zerlu

As others have mentioned, I use it primarily as cover. Occasionally I find a good location for it, but its really not that good at this point.
  13. Duvenel

Apart from all of the already mentioned points the only time I'd use a MANA turret would be with a group of engies doing likewise. Makes it harder for a sniper to decide who to shoot at(possibly allowing you and friendlies to gun them down). Also if you're with a team, the problem of cooldown isn't such a big problem, say you get one hit in, chances are the other engies with you probably finished the guy off.
  14. Pin_Cushion

I use it like a blockade. If I'm defending something (usually a point or generator) and there's multiple entrances, I can effectively close one entrance down with the turret. If there's too many windows then it won't work because you'll get sniped. If your team mates aren't covering the other entrance then you'll get grenaded. If the room's too small then you won't be able to place it anywhere good, so it's useless.

Outside I use it to draw fire while I run away. Most people can hardly tell if a turret is manned or not from far away. I drop it, they shoot at it, I make a hasty retreat.

I haven't had much luck using it for cover. It's a grenade magnet.
  15. Intereo

I'm pretty(really) bad at this game, and got what I think was my first kill streak yesterday using the MANA turret. We were assaulting a bio lab, and I set it up outside our teleport room facing the landing pad. Where I was at, they kept trying to charge me from 3 different locations, and 2 of them were basically in a line. I'm sure I got at least 10 kills, and they didn't kill me until they started attacking from the balcony behind us too, which took a surprisingly long time.

It didn't turn the tide of battle or anything, just moved us from pinned down inside the room to pinned down just outside it, but I'm sure for awhile there, at least a few people were pissed off at that guy on the turret :)
    • Up x 1
  16. Goats

I've had some fun messing with snipers by spawning one outside then turning back and forth really quickly, so the shields are always covering my head from them. Just hearing the bullets whizzing by is pretty funny. Too bad you can't shoot anyone, though.
  17. PraxisMajor

As others have said, using them to actually shoot at things is very situational.

The only time I've really seen them be effective at that is defending pads at a bio lab or other situations where an enemy is using (or forced to use) a very narrow angle of attack and you have a few engineers with turrets down to provide consistent fire.

I have occasionally used them with varying amounts of success to defend a reasonably open control point that you can find some cover nearby to hide behind (slightly away from the point). Enemies run up to take the point and you gun them down. This relies heavily on surprising them though, so again will only work some of the time.
  18. JimBob22

Finally managed to use my turret in a good spot last night. VS was overrunning one of the techplants and had at least a squad on the wall over one of our generators and just was raining down fire. Found a way to sneak around to a tower they were overlooking and eventually into position to shoot right down the top of the wall. Took out 4-5 before they saw me, cleared the wall entirely before a sniper on the hill outside got me. But it allowed the rest of the guys inside time enough to get in and repair the generator.

It can be awesome in the right spot, but keep in mind that's one good use of it in about two weeks of playing.
  19. therah

The last time I used it was on the outside wing of a biolab so I could kill flankers on the long straight stretch with unlimited ammo through a tiny hole between the wall above me and to my left and the turret. Cheap? Sure. Fast certs, definitely.
  20. Nogrim313

make it a utility slot, that way i can unequip it and carry ammo and a heal pack thing is totally useless