98% GPU load @ character selection screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by botosan, Dec 6, 2012.

1. botosan

rest of game 40-50ish%......working as intended?
  2. Mansen

Who knows - it's not like you bothered to post your hardware specifications. For all we know you're playing this on your calculator.
    • Up x 1
  3. TehBenju

best. calculator. ever
    • Up x 1
  4. GaussianGamer

Mine is also 98% at the character screen(which does seem odd), but mine is also at 98%-99% ingame.

If you are only at 40%-50% GPU in-game, you might be leaving a little performance unused. Idealy you should set your video settings high enough to fully load your video card. GPU's are far more efficient than CPU's at processing video data.

If you have Nvidia, you could always try your luck with the Geforce Experience Software if you arent having any luck with manual settings.
  5. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

What this information means is that the CPU controls the frame rate in game and I expect you would see that "[CPU]" is displayed using the in-game monitor (ALT+F). This is not the ideal situation, and without details about what kind of hardware and especially without details that explain the settings you are using, there isn't much anyone can comment on.
  6. WeEdNL

It is fps related, if I change MaximumFPS=999 or MaximumFPS=60 in useroptions.ini I see a significant difference in gpu load in the menu, in game you probably wont run your fps as high as it does in the menu.

MaximumFPS=999 - 97% gpu load in menu - varies from 30% to higher in game depending on the fps.
    MaximumFPS=61 - 22% gpu load in menu - 40% gpu load in game

After some testing I noticed that when I changed the MaximumFPS=999 setting alt+f in game showed me GPU instead of CPU, normally it showed CPU.

I hope this helps people running in CPU mode.

Some further analysis it seems to toggle between CPU mode and GPU in game when it reaches certain fps, weird, but it is possible to get GPU to show up.

Ah I get it, It switches to GPU mode when opening the player profile in the menu.
  7. Kara

[CPU] and [GPU] are not modes. As I understand it, it's indicating which is the current bottleneck/limiting factor.
  8. Archaegeo

• Up x 1
  9. Zakuak

Yeah I hear my fans spin up and see my EVGA monitor peg both my 680's at 98% or so when I am in the character selection screen. ALT/F doesn't show in that screen IIRC....

FYI I had put those cards into my I7 3820 work computer last weekend to see performance comparison to my AMD 1100 home pc and the cards ramped up in the selection screen as well.

Both towers show [CPU] more then [GPU] while playing.

Home PC
  10. k3lt

11. botosan

i-7 950
    gtx 660ti 310.70 drivers
    max settings cept shadows off
    vsync on
    cpu bottlenecked

seems as though the game doesnt like to use gpu
  12. helloworldy

If you don't want to turn on vsync you can set maximum FPS in INI file.