Huge performance issues

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RipCom, Dec 7, 2012.

1. RipCom

My "stats": Processor intel (R) Core(TM) i5-2450 CPU@ 2.50GHz
    Installed memory (RAM): 6gb
    display adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX (1gb vram)

I am pretty sure my comp spec are above minimum requirements and fit somewhere in the mid.. yet whenever i play even on lowest settings in open field i get around 30fps (which is playable to some extent) but whenever i play inside buildings or try to assault a fortress my fps drops 12-20 which is unplayable target pretty much has to stand in 1 spot if i ever want to kill him.
  2. Prothseda

Anything else running in the background?
    What's your OS?
    Do you play any other games? - if so, do they run smoothly? average FPS on that specific game?

Your CPU and GPU, while are mobile processors, should be capable of running planetside 2. They are arguably better than the listed minimum requirements.
    I'd be checking for anything else running in the background.

I assume you've played around with settings? Lowest preset isn't always the best solution. Try fiddling.

All else fails, try downloading software like Game Booster (recommend the Razer release), I hear that on lower end machines it's really worth it.
  3. TeeBagit

RipCom, this game is broken for many people. Best you can do at this point is try the optimization suggestions that seem to be helping some folks. I've done them all short of over clocking and get frame rates anywhere from 100+ in certain areas down to to the low teens during fights, and I have slightly better than the "RECOMMENDED" specs.

What you might have thought was "finished product" from all the advertising surrounding this game is just deception. The reality is that this game is now in it's open beta test phase. It's just too bad SOE won't officially admit that, but don't blame that on the Dev's. There is a disconnect between reality and the corporate stockholders, lol
  4. Irathi

enable the fps counter in game, it should also tell you whether you are GPU or CPU bound.

Alt+F or Shift+F

Post your results here when you have them.

Also you might want to check this list out:
    http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36590

As you can see the GT 520m does not meet the minimum requirement.
  5. Irathi

Not really, the GT 520mx is lower than the GT520m and that one is already far below the minimum requirements. Considering this is a really CPU heavy game I doubt that the mobile dual core i5-2450 will ever do good either.
  6. Prothseda

Their mobile processors. Can't expect much from them, but I would assume they'd handle a little better than that. The GPU is rather low end, I agree, but the CPU is, once again, arguably better.

It is, infact, above the minimum requirements, however it's a mobile processor. Depending upon who you ask it's going to be on either side of the line.

Fact is, you're probably going to need a better computer to play planet side 2 - or you need some magical config.
    • Up x 1
  7. Irathi

I concur
  8. RipCom

I've updated video drivers.. fps increased by 6-8. get ~22-24 fps inside buildings.. seems playable ^^ considering human eye cant see more than 24frames per second.

And with my rig i was able to run bf3 average ~35(low settings)
    My OS is win7

Thx for the tips :)
  9. Irathi

About the whole "not being able to see more than 24fps", this a myth and a total misunderstanding. There is a reason for why "the hobbit" was displayed in 48fps and not 24fps, this is also why many claim that the movie lost its "movie feeling" and became too "real".

Yes that's right, it became too "real".

24fps + motion blur = cheap way to make a movie and still have it look fluent.

If you do not believe me check this link out:
    http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html
    • Up x 1
  10. Prothseda

Actually it's somewhere around 60fps. It varies person to person, but the standards are set around 60fps, anything above is considered 'irrelevant' to the eye. FPS does effect the way games run and display, and for some games even effects the gameplay (cod4 for example)

While we may not be able to consciously see above 60fps we will notice a 'smoother' gaming experience.

BF3 is not Planetside 2 and they run on different Engines. This means that while BF3 does require some mid-high range gear to run on higher settings, as with any store released game in the last year they've ensured an optimized experience for the low-mid range PC. Not being a BF3 player, I believe I did hear about the game's poor high quality optimization in the early days? (anyone?)

Planetside 2 however is a free to play game released over the internet, and is perfectly optimized for the mid range PC. You'll see their minimum requirements are for an i5 so you won't be seeing much 'low-mid' tier optimisation as there is very little in that price range that could run the game. Hence the constant "game is poorly optimised" crap you see posted here everyday.

22-24 FPS is a bit better, perhaps look into unlocking your CPU, you might be able to boost it up a few MHz without destroying your system. Just be cautious, a laptop has very little cooling and is NOT a great place for an unlocked CPU. Don't go overboard.
  11. Hipparchus

I see you updated your drivers, where did you get the drivers from and which version are they? I'm not entirely sure but the most recent nvidia mobile driver might not have all that great PS2 support. I used to have an asus gaming laptop, and this was before nvidia supported mobile drivers so I would use http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers which lets you force the normal geforce drivers to ignore the fact that you have a mobile card (sounds sketchy but it works). I'm currently using the normal 310.61 beta drivers, which are the drivers specifically released with PS2 performance in mind, I'd recomment installing these from laptopvideo http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29931-v31061-windows-8-64bit-nvidia-mobile-oem/ which as you can see in their list of supported devices, the GT 520MX is supported. I would make sure you do a system backup and have the installer for the previous driver version on your computer just in case something goes fubar (not that I think it might).

Other question is how big is your monitor, and what resolution do you have the game set to? Using a lower resolution will help performance. Also have you set up a custom nvidia profile for the game in the nvidia control panel and tweaked those settings?
  12. plat0nic

It's a pretty underpowered CPU for this game but at the end of the day it's not your hardware that's the main issue because if you go in game and you open up the resource meter while you are in a fight you'll see 30-40% cpu usage at most. there's a few tweaks you ccan do but none of them will gain you any major performance, lord knows I've tried them all. All we can do is sit and wait for Sony to fix the underlying issue with this and release a new 64bit, DX11 client that is heavily multi-threaded
  13. Shikamiji

Wait, that means that when I play Touhou I surpass the human eye's limit?
    Cool.