Where's the Music?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chodemus Maximus, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Chodemus Maximus

One of my favorite things about Planetside was the epic music.

Nothing like some awesome synth orchestration to get the blood pumping on those massive battles.
    Nothing like a change in music to let you know what was going on in the vicinity.
    Nothing like humming along to some seriously catchy Sanctuary music while you wait for the HART.

Where is the music in PS2? The only time I actually hear music is when a base is about to be captured or when I first sign in. Then I get about 20-45 seconds of awesome music. The score for this series is amazing, please don't short sell it SOE.

Having good music stays in your memory far longer than most other senses. How many times do you hear a song and remember exactly what you were doing and exactly how you felt at that moment?

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PUT SOME MUSIC IN THE GAME.

Thanks,

Chodemus.
    • Up x 3
  2. KoSGunny

YES!

For how little time needs to be invested into such a simple project, and how much music involves the user with game.. Why wasn't this looked into yesterday?
    • Up x 1
  3. TheInterim

This... pleases me... greatly...

Finally, another person who appreciates soundtracks of games and just how important music is if you want the players to enjoy the game!

The only issue I have with this is that the music may feel a bit dry after playing for a month or two, and turn into "white noise" in the background... and that would be a real shame, because I actually quite enjoy the music.

If there was a setting to change how often music plays in the game, however, I would crank that thing in a heartbeat.
    • Up x 1
  4. Chodemus Maximus

Bump for music love!
  5. ggallin

Yeah, never get bored of the genius PS1 music, even after 8 years of playin.... Agree with ur post....
    • Up x 1
  6. wowie

I open soundcloud in another tab, do a search, then hit the play button. I then ALT+TAB back to PS2. I don't think they put in too much music because most people will listen to their own music instead. That being said, however, it would be great if they added more "official" music... With one change. The ability to listen to cross-faction music whenever you wanted. I'm jealous of the epic orchestral scores the TR get, actually. All the other VS are going to be so mad when they read this and find out I don't like dubstep, lol.
    • Up x 1
  7. Rolfski

I didn't get any serious time with PS1 but this game could use for sure more music on the epic gaming moments.
    • Up x 1
  8. TomSharkey

I play as NC, so I muted the music about 5 minutes after starting the client for my first time.
    • Up x 2
  9. Chodemus Maximus

ahahha so true Tom, I'm sorry you have to deal with that ****. TR music is truly the best. I think that's the main reason why I chose that faction.
  10. Flisher

I was thinking about the exact same thing yesterday.
    Thanks to Don Ferrone, music was a very important element of Planetside 1.

While the Planetside 2 music are great, it's almost out of the game in it current state.
    Even the format of the file packed in the game file is unreadable by almost all music player.

Please add some feature to get music back in game, and even distribute the soundtrack file for lovers like myself.
    • Up x 1
  11. TheShotgun

+1
    • Up x 1
  12. TheInterim

You too, eh?

Personally, I like the NC's motive much better than the TR Republic's, but I just cannot feel their music at all. The TR stuff, though... everytime the strings cut in, and the horns start blaring whilst I'm fighting for my life alongside 50 other people desperately defending a base from an all-out siege... that feeling, that rush of adrenaline, it's indescribable.

For me, anyway, music makes or breaks the "feel" of a game. For example: I think that in nearly every aspect, Skyrim is a better game than its predecessor, Oblivion; but the music just doesn't feel as... you know, inspired. It might be more fun, mechanics-wise, but I never looked out in a mossy valley, the morning sun glinting off a waterfall, and lost my breath as a result the way I did in Oblivion.
    • Up x 1
  13. SturmovikDrakon

On the question of music
    [IMG]

And for my own input...

I agree that this game needs more music. What we have is great, and each of the Empire OSTs truly gives them something character.

But it doesn't play nearly enough. Combat music plays all the way at the end of a base capture, and by the time you hear it, the fight is already over and it becomes very anticlimactic
    Travel music... well, there's so much little downtime between fights that it basically NEVER plays. In order to hear it, I have to go to some isolated place away from anyone even get a glimpse of it, and even then the tracks are so short, they're like a minute or so long for both combat and travel.

Also I really, really, really want continental music to come back. They really set the atmosphere for the game and gave each continent character. Can you imagine something like this playing on the new Esamir?

:eek: (my favourite track from PS1)
    Also... Don Ferrone... The only tracks he currently has in the game are the character selection themes, when you open the game to select the server. I would love to hear some of his demo tracks in the game, or even more original work in the future

(one of the demos. Holy crap this is some Bladerunner **** right here)
    • Up x 1
  14. Chodemus Maximus

Oh wow Sturm, thanks for all the info. I'm glad they are looking into putting more music in. THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY!!!

And that is my favorite track from PS as well.
  15. Rivenshield

/signed

Drag Don's **** back into the studio and have him make continent-specific themes -- there's nothing wrong with revamped versions of the old ones. The music used to be *constant* in PS1, instead of sporadic little bursts. It heightened immersion. It made you feel like you were the action hero in a sci-fi shootemup.

Here's my favorite. Long live the electric violin...!

16. Jaybo H

I guess all we can do is have patience.