How many of the problems are due to not being in an outfit?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hellkyte, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Hellkyte

I was lucky enough to come into this game with a strong group of other guys from EvE, which requires a large amount of teamwork, leadership and comradery (depends on definition). Sometimes I forget thats not the case for a lot of players. The more I read these complaining posts about the game (that make little sense to me) the more I wonder if the issue is that these guys are having to run in Pugs all the time.

For those who are spending all their time in Pugs, I'm not surprised you have problems. Playing against an organized group with a disorganized group is damn near impossible. Pugs are basically fodder. We have a Galaxy pilot that spends most of his time just going back to the warp gate to get pubbies he can puke onto our target to provide escalation and a meat shield to allow us breathing room for more complex maneuvers.

I'm just suspicious that a lot of these X Y and Z are OP threads come down to people playing mostly solo/PUGs and not bein able to do anything organized other than be a meatshield. If you haven't experienced organized combined arms you really have no idea what balance is in this game.
    • Up x 6
  2. BCKrogoth

This. This so hard.
  3. Tackelberry

Don't have the game yet, but an outfit / messing around with friends seems the best way to do things. Don't know why people Lone Wolf it in games like this.
  4. axiom537

/Agree I think a vast majority of the complaints about this vehicle or that weapon really comes down to running around solo or with an unorganized group of pugs. I am part of an 800+ outfit and it is common for us to be operating 4-5 full platoons all working on concert with one another.
  5. Fleabag

So what you're saying is, that if you have a bunch of other people around you who you can count on to support you, spot for you, transport you and be sure to pull the correct counter to whatever you facing off against at the time....

.....you have a better experience?

That's crazzzzzy talk! :p Outfits, pfft....who needs 'em. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  6. Neodrauka

I play this game with one other mate all the time, and occasionally with another two on top of that when they can. Fact is, we aren't in an outfit, but we still contribute to offence / defence consistently. Yes most of the time an organised, mature group of people that form an outfit and lead squads into the fray against PUG's will win the day. That's not to say a small group of 2 to 4 people or even one person can't have a blast AND do his/her part.

I'm currently on the server Briggs (AU), and perhaps it's just the quality of people there, but I nor my mates have ever had any problems so far as any battle being a total failure against Outfits. We often push the crown as a ragtag bunch of misfits and hold it against clans on VS and randoms from NC attacking North and South, and hold it well. It's a matter of how serious you want to get for a game, while I do agree you can be a hell of a lot more coordinated in an outfit that knows what they're doing, I honestly don't know what people could be b1tcing about that could be solved by joining an outfit. Sometimes it makes matters worse lol, politics of in-game guilds can be - *Rolls eyes*.

To the OP credit there HAS been an inordinate amount of whining about this games balance in areas of zones / weaponry / vehicles etc it's getting tiresome. The game is awesome, 10 / 10. Just get in there and kick some a$$ troops :)
  7. Morpholine

Even one other reliable partner enhances the game play greatly.

If you're having trouble finding that partner - BE that partner. Prior to finding my outfit, I'd pick one dude in my (usually scattered to the four winds) random pick-up squad, and be his wing man in whatever he did.

I think* it's what landed me in the fantastic outfit I now have.

*After the first ten minutes or so, we really started to intentionally coordinate our actions by swapping cooldowns on vehicles, and whatnot. A friend invite followed. After that day, he invited me into his squad whenever I came on, and later to his outfit.
  8. Hellkyte

Main advantage of an outfit is that you see how amazing combined arms works, and you see that:

-Yes Air can be countered with G2A pretty easily
    -Yes bases can be defended and should be and it's rewarding to do so
    -Yes every class has a vital role (except maybe LA who exist just to massacre people)
    -Yes every vehicle has a vital role and no single vehicle ownzones everything else
  9. Pin_Cushion

You come from a place where one guy says, "Basilisk is primary," and everyone else in the group instantly knows what he means and shoots it. Where the commander says, "Warp to XYZ gate and hold at gate," and everyone in the group actually...you know...DOES IT! Where command can call an attack that everyone in the group KNOWS is suicide, but they do it anyway because....well...that's just how the game is played.

So, to answer your question, YES! Not having a group of people that know how to work together as a team in a team-based game is an enormous handicap that makes PS2 feel very flawed. I solo almost all of the time, so I know what the "overpowered" whines are about. But the reason I don't get all bent out of shape over it is because I know that what seems OP really isn't that big a deal when your entire Guild/Corp/Supergroup/Whatever is at hand with a prebuilt strategy to counter it.

The only real answer to that problem, though, is to make friends or just get used to dying a lot.
    • Up x 1
  10. SKYeXile

Outfits are only required if you like a false sense of winning scifi shooters by controlling meaningless land.
  11. Hibbe

When the casuals get bored of solo and leave this game or realizes there is VOIP support, you will have better teamplay, but until then, it will be an "ISSUE" for complainers.

Just wait two months and you will see, the heat will eventually go down.
  12. aedn

quite a few, but i do not think you can attribute things like current state of air power, Meta game issues, Render problems, etc etc etc to all being in an outfit or lack of.
  13. Neodrauka

I agree on all points, and some will argue that if you don't join an outfit, you won't be able to fully experience what the game has to offer. IMO though, just working consistently with one friend in game has been more than enough, we structured our vehicles differently and stagger the re-spawns so we can roll them out consistently if required, while he has an AA lightning, I might run an AP Prowler and we'll combine ourselves with whatever force has amassed in any given area. Sometimes you shake your head at seeing fools being cut down time and time again till they learn to work with those around them, but it hasn't been too bad thus far. Might be just lucky on this server, the faction holds it's own really well, especially considering its outnumbered 80% of the time by both factions.
  14. Hellkyte

Clearly render problems are not resolved with an Outfit, but I have zero problems with the other issues. Metagame may become a problem when there are bigger stakes, but there's little reason for metagame at the moment.
  15. Rown

Well, /not agree. My time with outfits have been a complete waste of time.
  16. Morpholine

You gotta kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince, sometimes.
    • Up x 1
  17. SKYeXile

Please list said outfits.
  18. Ribonucleic Acid

even a small outfit, like mine, where we can run at most 2 half full squads, makes planetside ten times better.

organization makes this game so much more fun. even if you still have a similar KDR as a lone wolf, knowing that there is always a medic to pick you up when you die or an engineer to repair/rearm you after a fight, means you have more of an actual impact on the game. and i think that is all people really want, is for their actions to mean something.
  19. Rown

That would be irresponsible; I don't want this to become a flame war. The one's I've been into tend to fall into two extremes; one simply does nothing; it's virtually identical to playing solo. The others, the ones who ask for Teamspeak and registration and stuff, tend to overuse teamspeak so much that, when someone says something important you miss it because you zoned out of the inane chatter half an hour ago, and their idea of organized play are things like loading people into galaxies at warp portal, dropping on an objective without close spawn support, everyone dies and gets scattered, repeat.

No, thanks.
    • Up x 1
  20. MasterD

Words from a Wiseman! I've been an outfit leader since PS1 and when we played there it was a rule of mine that everyone needed to pick a wingman. Even if we were all in a squad together you still needed a wingman who would be right by your side providing heals, repairs, and extra killing power. I also made adv medic a requirement. A small squad of folks could easily hold off a larger enemy force.

Trouble is here in PS2 no one wants to "BE that partner" too many people have that lone wolf mentality which gets them killed in a game of this scale.

I have countless tales of the best wingman I've ever encountered in a video game. That kid was like my shadow and I was his. We were literally within 5-10ft of each other at all times it was nuts. Every now and then a tank would get a 2 for 1 kill but hell it was totally worth it.

I salute all you other wingmen out there!