Any settings that affect infantry render distance?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Uncle_Lou, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Uncle_Lou

I know a lot of people are talking about infantry render distance, but I'm wondering if there are user-adjustable settings in game that will affect it in any way. Reason I ask is that in beta I could snipe from The Crown to TI Alloys without too much trouble. Now I can't even get any infantry to render at that range. Yet I see other snipers at the Crown calling out and hitting targets that are not rendering.

Just wondering if there is something I can change either in the .ini or in the game options that might boost that render distance out just a bit. As it is right now, I don't even bother sniping because it is pointless... Which is a shame because I enjoy it as a change of pace.
  2. Bubblewrap2

No (unit type render distance, including player models and even ammo towers, is entirely server-side).
  3. NEWSKIS

As far as I know, it isnt a client setting. It's determined by the server. The more people/vehicles near you, the lower the distance infantry can be seen since vehicles have a higher render priority. Probably the reason what you could see in beta you can't now is because there are more people on the servers.
  4. Uncle_Lou

Which makes perfect sense, but why is a friendly standing right next to me able to render enemies that I am not? Something odd is happening with render distance.
  5. Opapanax

I think when a friendly begins to render enemies that you will also begin to see them..

For instance, if you are behind someone like 100 meters back and enemies are out of your viewing threshold, if he moves towards them and they begin to render for him at what ever distance then you being 100 meters back will also begin to see those targets..

I'm not exactly sure if this is how it works, but I believe they were trying to go towards something like that..
  6. donpost

That explains what just happened to me. I was stood at a window and watched an enemy Sunderer roll up about 75m away. I was watching it waiting for the spawns when suddenly a group of about 8 VS just popped up 40m or so away!
  7. Uncle_Lou

That was not happening last night. I was on the west ridge at The Crown sitting next to about 4 snipers who were all killing infantry around TI Alloys. I could not see any infantry at all on the TI Alloys side of the gorge.

If there is something causing infantry render distance to be different for two different players, that is a HUGE problem.
    • Up x 1
  8. Freyar

The game uses a selection system to determine who it will render. It still needs tweaking, but it helps with performance somewhat. One suggestion I'd make is try to keep render distance in UserOptions above 3500.
  9. Jack the Smack

There is another factor too.

There is a set limit of players that you can see at once. I don't know the number, but lets pretend it's 200. If there are 600 people in a base fighting, only the nearest 200 will appear to you.

You also may have noticed there is a specific range that players appear (500m I think). So if players are not appearing at 500m, then you are at the server's max player display.

This is a HUGE problem that the developers are working their ***** off on. If they increase the amount, the servers bog down and the gameplay deteriorates to something worse than the current system. Maybe in a few months this issue will be fixed. But for now, for the servers not to crash and lag to hell, they have this solution.
  10. Uncle_Lou

I think I left my render in the .ini file at the default of 9999, which may allow the game to decide. I might change it to something a bit lower to see if I can force it to render.

And I could see if certain players are culled from view, that would make sense. I would hope, however that it only counts players actually in my field of view for culling. Otherwise, the 100 people in the tower 80m behind me would cause me to not see the bulk of the enemies I need to shoot at that are 80m in front of me.

I know a lot of people are complaining about this, and I'm not really trying to add to the pile. I know it's being worked on, and I'm fine with that. Just trying to figure out if there is something I can do on my end to try to improve it. But its frustrating, because as I said I do enjoy sniping sometimes, but as it is now there's just no point for me if I'm not rendering enemy infantry past 75m.
  11. Exidius

Well but now it is UNPLAYABLE in large battles. Enemies whose bullets you see but you can't see them even though theey are 40 meter (no i'm not joking -> height seems to confuse the system severly) UNDER you.
    Enemies popping into excistance directly in front of you while you are sprinting into an EMPTY area.
    I know they are working on it but WHY WHY DID THEY RELEASE IT LIKE THAT.
  12. Jack the Smack

Developers do not decide when the game gets released. It was in fact slated for 2013 but for some reason it was announced to come out way earlier. This was a publisher decision, not a developer decision. Anyway, you can just pretend the game is coming out Spring 2013 and not play it until then.

BTW, the bugs in this game are not much bigger than any other MMO. World of Warcraft was as buggy, if not buggier, than Planetside 2 is currently.
    • Up x 1
  13. Exidius

And why should that change anything ?
    WoW was buggy as hell agreed GW2 Launch was very smooth for a launch
    Why do we have to go the WoW way ?
    I just hope it will get fixed that is what I'm not really certain about.
  14. Fleder

Its annoying. I bought the 12x Scope but its useless, because the enemies keep disappearing. I hope they will find a solution for this, soon.
  15. FullMetalMonkey

I wish I'd remembered what CyclesMcHurtz said in the most recent Friday Night Ops. Cycles was watching the show and in the Twitch.tv chat was asked by someone about it and he explained the reasons why it is as it is at the moment and how the system works.

If I remember correctly it works like this:

If I am on my own in the middle of no where and there is an enemy player, for example 500 meters away, I will see him.
    If I am with a few people in the middle of no where and there is an enemy player at 500 meters away, we will not see him but will at, for arguments sake, 400 meters he will be visible
    If I am with a full platoon in the middle of no where and there is an enemy player at 500 meters away, we will not see him but at, again for arguments sake, 350 meters he will be visible.

Basically, the more people around you the lower the render distance gets.

Hopefully CyclesMcHurtz will clarify on this and correct me. Check his profile on the forums for most recent posts as I believe he my have answered it on here a few times.
  16. Jack the Smack

Cause WoW is the least buggy MMO I've ever played upon launch. Auto Assault, Age of Conan, Anarchy Online, Planetside 1, and APB were much worse launches.
  17. donpost

It's a really good way of improving performance, I think they just need to polish it a bit. I mean, when I played last night there were a couple of times when it was noticeable, out of the whole hour I played. That's not a bad rate of error.
  18. Mansen

Heh... No.
  19. Zaik

It just renders the closest x number of players no matter whether they are friendly or enemies. Since you're more likely to be surrounded by friendly players than enemies, it's usually all friendlies with enemies popping in at like 10 or 15m.

If you find a way to get up and behind enemies on the opposite side of your allies, you will render all enemies before allies, and they won't be able to see you because they're closer to you allies than you.

It's easier to take advantage of now than it is if there were a setting to increase it, because then it wouldn't be a hardline rule that is so easy to exploit. Occasionally you'd run into someone who could shoot back. That isn't the case atm.
  20. Uncle_Lou

Don't be a tool. I'm not looking for an advantage, I'm trying to understand why a friendly right next to me can see and hit enemies that are not rendering at all on my screen. I get that the system culls players based on load. I
    want to know why it isn't doing it equally for all players.