Least Friendly Game To New Players I've Encountered.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Adventzero, Nov 23, 2012.

1. FieserMoep

Or they just search for some brain cells...

But hey, I try to be a nice guy. How about a tutor system? Everytime a new player spaws on the Warpgate a BR10+ player is recieving a notification he can accept or deny. If he accepts he is put into a Squad with the newbie and can answer questions the next 5 minutes. After that the newbie can confirm this was helpfull and the BR10+ guy recieves 250 XP or whatever.
  2. Meiu

Doesn't matter how you pitch it, MetagamingAtLast is still right.
  3. Meiu

Here is the fix to make everyone happy. When you first spawn it puts you into a hangar bay with pods everywhere. They explain a general idea of wtf is going on and tell you to take a moment to check your equipment. You check the panel, look at your classes, pick what you want. Hit ESC, go to options to setup your keys and all that. Once you do that you talk to the Cheif and said IM GOOD TO GO BRO! Then you get your *** drop podded down for some good ol "welcome to planetside" moments.
  4. FieserMoep

The game has a tutorial. Its a Drop Dop right into the heat of the fight. It is one of the best tutorials I saw in the last years. End of story.
    • Up x 1
  5. Dubstepcat

Darkfall is even harder than EVE.....

I don't see why so many people are having trouble with PS2, It's easier than most FPS.
  6. Twign

Umm no, you think you're some PS2 stud but this attitude is only going hurt the game. PS2 is one game that will absolutely be meaningless without a critical mass of players, in that sense it is extremely important for there as many people as possible on the servers. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what Sony intended: there will be a core population with regulars who are part of outfits and make organized strikes to start battles and the flashpoints they incite on the map will draw the casual players who will pretty much drop in to get some action. I can deal with crowded bases, lag due to crowded servers, even team kills by inexperienced players, but what will absolutely cause me to switch servers or quit the game is when there's no one playing in the ridiculously big environments. So please, be nice to the mass of casual players, they're the only reason you're able to experience this game :)
  7. JojoTheSlayer

Back in the day when PS1 came out I didnt have a great computer or internet connection.
    To be blunt I could not fight in the large fights so I did allot of support stuff.

If you lack combat skills you can do support stuff yourself to.
    Setup AMSs (Sunder with mobile spawn equipment), go medic and heal and res people, go eng and repair tanks and Maxes and keep people supplied with ammo and such. Do a little shooting on the side until you get the hang of it.

TR are the a-holes of this fictional universe so maybe you should join a faction that values its members like NC. :)
  8. Rune

What this game has is better than any kind of tutorial.
    It has many of the great youtube personalities playing it. One thing that time and time again proves to be far more important to anyone than an easy learning curve is your friends playing it. And at the moment they are! None of the tutorial crap means anything as long as your being pulled into it from all angles. You'll learn eventually.

LOL, HON Dota1 & 2. Soooooo many people plays this its silly. These games are far FAR worse in terms of learning curve. As long as SoE doesnt f it up then this game will be great and players will be plenty.
  9. Sghignifiss

I'm pretty sure there's something for newcomers in the login client, just above the big green "PLAY" button. Never tried it, but I think it could be usefull for newbies. Also there are quite a lot of video tutorials in YT, and links for them in PS2 site as well, I think, in the login client screen.

Speaking about keybindings... just open up the configuration screen ingame and look for them ;)
  10. Adventzero

Darkfall sorta failed at newbie introduction as well, but I was still able to get into it. It wasn't like the split second I logged into Darkfall, I was butchered by 3 Alfar I couldn't even see and then corpse camped, unable to leave town without instantly being slaughtered until I logged out. As I said, I don't need my hand held... but I don't wanna be headshot before I figure out which button fires or whether or not I need to adjust my graphics settings! That's insane.

Whether the game is harder than other FPSes or not, this - right here - left such a sour taste in my mouth, I doubt I'm going to bother trying to learn this game. It's like picking out a book with a promising premise in a bookstore that has the crappiest opening you've ever read - so stupid, it was borderline offensive. That's kinda how PS2 was for me.

And just as a BTW, making the new player experience better is the number one thing Adventurine said they wanted to do in Darkfall: Unholy Wars. It's stunning how SoE releases modern, huge budget games with a philosophy that's 5 years outdated... and an indy company with less than 60 employees figures it out.
  11. Dubstepcat

The drop into combat starting is pretty annoying to be honest. I still think PS2 has an easier learning curve than most games. But once you go into commanding, and advanced tactics in PS2 It becomes a **** all mess.

It's just too dynamic of a game for things to be easily learned such as that.
  12. Painwalker

This exactly. This is what was missing.

They don't even need a long story mode. Just give me a room with two doors: one door leads to a basics drill where the player ACTS OUT the instructions to make sure they understand it, and another door that skips to the game if they don't care or are making a second or third character and don't need the refresher.

Get them shooting some target, like infantry and tanks. Get them to blow a gen. Then have them capture a point with some "team-mates" to stand next to it.

I'm hoping they're working on something like this. I mean, it doesn't even need to be online. It can be run offline with a test version of themselves or something.

Players need a tutorial, not a talking wall of text! We need action to really understand! We need to DO what we're learning to learn it.
    • Up x 1
  13. Adventzero

I do hope they are - I might give this game a closer look in the future and I'd like to come back to see some actual form of development being utilized to make this game not an excercise of frustration for any but the most seasoned FPSers.