Shooting while stealthed.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by MkrvMkrvMkrv, Nov 26, 2012.

1. MkrvMkrvMkrv

When I'm cloaked pressing the "fire" button should uncloak me. Many a time I could have gotten a great kill but while scoped I was unaware I was cloaked.

Thoughts?
  2. Elad_k

That's a pretty good topic. It seems like a game design though, some actions are not automated while zoomed in (reloading, running stealth etc).

I think it's not a very good game design tbh.
  3. Timeraider

Suggested this before, only comments i got where like "Are you to lazy to uncloak before shooting" made by people who probably never even played a game before..

i still +1 this suggestion
  4. Elad_k

I find it hard to remember whether I'm cloaked or not. There's no indication while you are zoomed in and the cloak in/cloak out sound is the same.
  5. SGTTEMPEST

Switch your HUD to the centred setup in general options and your cloak indicator will be on the left hand side of the reticule. I think that they did this to give people a chance to spot us and take cover rather than just get totally owned.
  6. deusex2

+1000 for common sense.
  7. ThElement078

maybe they should make a cert for this? Like, almost instantaneous uncloak and eventually you get uncloak on shot? I remember there being a similar cert to this during beta, wraith cloak I believe?
  8. Timeraider

Well, atm you can yust shoot the moment you leave cloak, but i really dont understand why uncloak on shot doesnt exsist standardly. I mean, its not like its that much better then the way cloak works atm and only thing it does is make it easier and handier to cloak during scoping. Atm i mostly forget or cant see if im cloaked or not while scoping (especially when pressing cloak button during scope).

first part.. already its like that, second part.. should be implemented as standard because atm its annoying as hell. If some is close to you and sees you while cloaked.. and you take your pistol in your hand. My reflex is to aim for the guy shooting at me and shoot back.
    With infiltrator.. impossible.
    Why? your in stealth so you cant Fing shoot.. so you first need to uncloak out of the stealth (which anyone closeby can yust see you in) and only after that you can start shooting back.

Ofcourse an infiltrator will never win a gunfight like that, even if an infiltrator has the advantage of surprise over some1.
  9. gunshooter

Theres no reason this shouldn't be implemented, it's a simple convinience thing - remember when LA's had to press F AND Space to use their ability? That was stupid and dumb, and it was fixed.

Why do we have to press F AND Fire to use ours?
  10. MrVex

To put my two cents, or whatever, into this discussion:

Firing while cloaked was present for some period during Beta was present but a tad silly. However I don't think uncloaking on shot has been done yet.

As it stands, uncloaking leaves a slight delay before you can actually fire off your shot where as de-cloaking when firing automatically would remove that delay. The question really comes down to whether that's something you want or not.

In my opinion it would vastly increase the kill and hit rate of infiltrators using their sniper weapons and it would reduce the chance that them uncloaking to fire would be the death of them because they were spotted doing so and shot dead before they.

I like the idea, very similar to how Crysis handled its cloaking mechanism (Except in this case the equivalent Suit Energy was drained to 0 if you didn't manually uncloak to balance things out).

I've had this sort of discussion with people before and the general input is that they want to be able to uncloak automatically when they fire. It's not really a matter of laziness but the small impact not being able to do so does impact game play and enjoyability of the infiltrator class.
  11. Flarestar

It's pretty standard behavior across games that have an activated cloaking ability - you can attack while cloaked, but you immediately decloak, and typically lose any remaining time for cloaking and have to let it recharge.

Why that wasn't implemented here is beyond me. Instead we got some silly crap where to fire you have to do the following:

1. Press the decloak button.
    2. Wait for the decloak animation to complete while you pray that no one heard the loud, distinctive noise (this gets you killed very often if you've actually infiltrated a base and are decloaking to kill someone).
    3. Respawn and curse when someone kills you that was either already aiming at you due to our hilariously easy to see cloaking effect or you failed to kill your target because the infiltrator is made of wet recycled paper and our close-range weapons are horribly ineffective unless you have that bloody burst shot pistol.
    • Up x 1
  12. Aktarus

its fine as it is now , even if they change it as you would like to be , you would still miss your shot because uncloaking take some time anyway, and if your request is an instant uncloak when you push the trigger , this will be OP and will never happend.
  13. MkrvMkrvMkrv

I'm not intending any type of instant uncloak or fire while stealthed, simply when I press "fire" I want it to have the same effect as pressing "F", giving me one less key to worry about and letting me know I am uncloaking while scoped.
  14. Flaeb

Can't wait for the Stalker cert.
  15. hsal9

Please dont allow this.

-Somebody who plays infi alot.

Seriously, whats with all these ***** asking for full stealth/easy kills? How about making it fair? Also pressing F is hard amirite.
  16. Neoxide

I would like this. I instinctively shoot before removing stealth and even when I don't, manually removing stealth can be that extra 2 seconds that gets you killed.
  17. Fafnir

It would make sense, if decloaking would be instant, so we would be able to shot when we actually press fire button.

Implementing it into current system would mean that when you first time press fire, you don't shoot, but decloak and then you have to press fire again to shoot. Not very intuitive, if you ask me. Having to decloak with ability key is fine as it is.
  18. Gary

There was a bug in the beta that allowed it and it was insanely over powered, They even toyed with allowing you to shoot from cloak. Was reverted back to you having to Uncloak and then having a short delay before firing. Plus they could use shotguns as well which made them insanely over powered at that point :p
  19. Corsix

I play infil a lot more recently... But i'd say no to this... Cloaking and de-cloaking takes a second, it would have to decloak you instantly. The problem is if your shot de-cloaks you and you hit someone in the head, they'll be dead before you are even visible. This is assuming you are in there view in the first place but that being the case you really should get a look at the infil uncloaking BEFORE your head is gone otherwise they'll be WAY harder to spot.
  20. kersk

I agree. It can be really easy to trip yourself up if you're going in and out of stealth quickly and then accidentally be trying to shoot while the cloak animation is running. Usually you die a second later trying to recover from this as it takes a fraction of a second to figure out what happened and you just lost getting the drop on someone. Attempting to shoot should allow the shot, but instantly and automatically break your stealth -- makes sense.