Least Friendly Game To New Players I've Encountered.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Adventzero, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Kantsler

I really dont understand what is there to learn in this game. U spawn and starting killing stuff. if some one is having problems understanding what needs to be done in this game then a tutorial wont help him because he is probably blind, deft or dead.
  2. CaminoArcher

Must not have ever tried Eve online....Some of the ways U apply camo and change attatchments are kinda ******** but its not so bad after ya figure it out.,
  3. Revanmug

Complain that tutorial video are boring and too long.
    Ask for the exact same thing but huh... ingame? If someone can't bother watching some actually useful informative video, why the hell would they bother to do your boot camp?

Hey guys, you know what? Watching those tutorial video is optional! Just getting ready to be lost because your 2 watts brain can't understand basic FPS mechanics. It's as simple as that.

The only right to complain is being unable to look for option/keybind before logging in a server. Why? Because that's what every single person playing a ******* video game should do before starting a game. That's the only bit of important information that isn't given before a game start.
  4. Ixal

When you read the other posts you will see that a lot of people have. And thanks to the tutorial their beginning days in the incredibly complex EvE has been enjoyable, unlike the pile of dung called Planetside 2 which drops you into a battle and doesn't explain anything unless you look at outdated Youtube videos.
  5. Gabba202

What happened to the days when people could figure out **** on their own? Real men don't need manuals.
  6. Garrand

This game is trivially easy to learn and comprehend. A tutorial wouldn't hurt, but it shouldn't take anyone more than a day to see what's going on or how to attack/defend objectives. The most non-intuitive thing might be how influence works, but even that's fairly easy to infer once you've fought over 3 or 4 objectives.
  7. Ixal

In those days games were intuitive, not like Planetside 2.
    Having to buy grenades while the rocket launcher gets refilled automatically?
  8. LastLieutenant

Didn't read all the posts but the main thing about Planetside is the complexity of the game which makes it fun. It requires teamwork and doesn't lend it self to loners, which is great. Get with an outfit, a good outfit, and get to know the ins and outs of the game. There isn't a single game that even comes close to the amount of fun I had playing Planetside 1 with my outfit of ~100 guys. Sunday nights were always a blast because we were running with a full platoon of 30 guys while being organized and kicking ***. Wish I still had all teh videos and screenies from back in the day!
  9. Adventzero

A game can still be complex and still be approachable to new players though. I would say DOTA, LoL or HoN are each 5x more complicated than this game, with the variety of heroes and the complexity of strategies. Carries, support. Early game, mid game... Laning, Jungling and more items than you can put in a barnyard. And yet, new players are given a wealth of in-game tutorials. A practice mode where they can play the computer. The ability to replay games they've lost - including the ability to see the whole map and what their enemies did to win. And when all else fails, you're pitted up against players of similar suckiness when you lose enough games.

They're complex, yet approachable to new players

While I wouldn't expect to only be pitted up against sucky players if I was bad enough (that's not feasible in an MMO), this game just made no effort at all to allow new players to get a feel for it before setting them up to be frustrated and massacred.

It just doesn't seem like a good way to hook people.
  10. Eric Foxtail

Heh, I remember by first-time drop pod.
    Dropped right into TR territory, killed five guys, leveled up.
    Best. Gaming. Moment. EVER.
  11. Adventzero

Props to you. You're clearly the kind of gamer this game is designed for: someone who can roll a half-dozen people before even configuring their UI/graphics settings.
  12. newlynx

13. Fox234

My problem with PS2 isn't how they treat new people, its the fact the game has a serious a hole problem. Mostly being TKed for the "lawls". Its so bad I've seen entire squads devoted to trolling. I hope SOE plans on banning these people asap.
  14. FieserMoep

Why does a game have to be friendly to new players?
    Pull yourself together and get adapted.
    There are enough ways for those that need to be taken by the hand...
  15. ackolaptuh

I could use a how to fly or drive a vehicle tutorial that doesn't cost me my life in the game over and over. Also how to use the weapons on the aircraft and tanks while moving, the ones the owner of the tank - plane - can use that is at least. Its very expensive and I get no where. I did play this during beta and never got the hang of it then either.
  16. Big Bad Werewolf

This is why the VR training in the first Planetside was perfect it allowed you to access everything BEFORE battle and practice until you felt comfortable. I currently don't even bother with aircraft because between the lag and the first two tries getting shot down while learning the controls it hasn't been worth it. Not to mention the VR training made it easy to test everything in game so you knew what you wanted to build towards.
  17. Rune

To put things into perspective try any game in the civ series, or Fallen enchantress. Hell you you want to hit your head against the learning curve wall try out Towns.

Im not even gonna mention Dwarf Fortress.... Oh I just did, there you go.

In PS2 you need to find action and have NMY in the middle of your screen when you press the button. Not that hard compared to so much else. Within 5 mins you should be good to go.

Imo people like you ruin good games... In PS1 we used to have a great cert system. now we are stuck with everyone can do everything crap and cause of that balance issues are through the roof. I agree that a good game is good for both casuals and veterans alike, but what the h*** are you actually complaining about? That you suck at fps games? that you are not willing to put in the time to get any better? Or do you want to be superman the first time you log in and do heavy ownage.

Go play hello kitty goes dressup or something.
  18. FieserMoep

Thats the modern generation. Everything must be easy... how dare we are to force people to inform themself...
  19. ikon

until we get sanc back, its gonna be like this for a while

all you can do is hope they meet some1 who helps them out b4 they quit
  20. oOCKYOo

That first drop is probably the worst thing they added to the game. What I would do is spawn new players at the warpgate and give them a rundown of where they are and whats happening.

Give them a short tutorial on consoles, the different screens (squad/outfit/notifications, ect.) then give them a big *** button telling them to click it once theyre ready for action. Then instant action deploy them on the map at a random place in a random squad.

If youre still confused after say day 1 then I would start looking for an outfit. Some outfits do have new players support. Now you might say "I cant even play the game, nevermind function as a member of a group", well the thing is they teach you how. Cert system, vechicle controls, game mechanics, advice, tactics, base capturing. why you even bother fighting in a group, ect.

You can learn these things in your own time, nobody will stand in your way (personally did this during beta) but there is always something you'll run into you have no experience with. Its nice to have someone to ask then.

Dont bother asking the people at the warpgate. Generally they're just screwing around, grieving or doing something constuctive (forming up for a gal drop / waiting for people / trying out guns ). You will get a lot more constructive advice from an outfit in my opinion.

goodluck
    o7