Amd 12.11 beta 8 driver=40% FPS Increase!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Alexlightning7, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Alexlightning7

Just a piece of advice for some people. I just updated my drivers and am now running comfortably on ultra.
    I have a laptop, amd Radeon 7690m XT(or a renamed 6770m).
    overclocked giving me roughly a 6 fps increase.

I went from having 15-25 fps on ultra to having 30-40(assumeing CPU isnt bottleeck).
    If you have an amd card and are having trouble, you should definitly consider this. I find it strange because none of the optimizations were made for planetside 2, but hey, Im not complaining.

Just filling some people in. Maybe its only for laptops with enduro or something, because 40% is huge.
  2. Rapiere

Going to try now ind post if helpfull
  3. PharmD

Hmmm, I have a 4890 so I'm not sure if I can download these. The latest official drivers for my series was 12.6, which I have installed but I noticed the latest beta drivers for AMD include PS2 optimization+crossfire support. My card is not under the listed supported GPU's but I wonder if I can download them anyway?
  4. Alexlightning7

Technicly my card isnt on the list either.
    Its a laptop card, its not on the list of supported cards, and its based on the 6700 series, which is on 5000 series architecture.

So I had alot of things going against me.

You could try the new drivers, but if the 4000 series architexture is different then the 5000, then Im not sure it will work.
  5. Renegade

Guys any idea which AMD CPU is best for Planetside 2? Don't really want to change MB since I have AMD FX-6100 and in big fights I still get around 20 fps :( flying around in scythe give me like 40 fps in warpgate 60fps. I want to have at least 30-40 FPS in big fights so it's playable.Any ideas?
  6. Garrand

The best AMD cpu is the one you throw in the garbage to be replaced by an Intel. Like it or not, all new games are optimized for them. AMD had their shot at providing real competition but blew it years ago.
    • Up x 1
  7. Skizerz

Intel fanboys make me lol
  8. Bobby Shaftoe

AMD Fanboys aren't any better but it looks like they won't have much to look forward to anymore due to management incompetence.
  9. EwAB

I used to be an AMD fan and stick to them, but they failed to deliver after their initial success, and they fell behind, then further behind. Im still an AMD fan today but i only buy Intel top end CPUs and nvidia graphics. Why? Becase fan or not i am a PC enthusiast thus i want the best nomatter what brand its from. And AMD cannot deliver at all, AMD CPUs has lower average and lowest FPS in games resulting in a choppier gaming experience. Even if the peaks are very similar.
    • Up x 1
  10. Daimond

Just watch your heat though. and its mainly for Crossfire if people didnt know. But you best keep a good eye on your heat, cuase before I started running thoughs new drivers, I was getting 15 fps in heavy battles with hitting around 75C in temps. After installing new drivers in sanc with about 40 people around in 5 mins my temp on both cards was hitting 88-90c . I was waiting on some new Zalmen fans and heat syncs to replace the stock ones, now I dont get over 60c and get about 60-80 fps in large battles.

like I said though word of warning Keep your eyes on the heat of your cards for a while, last thing you want is to fry them :)
  11. Exolius

Just tried this, all on low and i'm getting 50+ fps at the warpgates, I will test in some firefights and on higher graphical settings and post back.
  12. Naykon

If you haven't already go into your BIOS and increase your FSB speed for the CPU/Memory,

If you haven't done this before then make sure you read about how it's done

This will overclock them slightly and give you an fps boost
  13. IAmTheSoldier

NSD (Never settled drivers ) Drivers are optimized for 5-7 HD series of cards. Most performance noticeable is on 7 series of AMD GPUs, 4 series have been discontinued it's drivers after 12.6 i think (i might be wrong). Because AMD is now focusing totally on 6-8 Series optimization. They really mean business this time.

Your whole post is telling me, you didn't have compatible hardware to support your GPU and CPU. You chose wrong Motherboard and RAM Sticks for your CPU and not enough power supply for GPU. Hardware compatibility and then keeping it up is necessary. Not just read and buy high value stuff without knowing if it works good with it. Well not everyone has Computer shop i know but i do and i test different hardware daily to see what gives me most performance in conjunction with all the matching hardware.

Intel and Nvidia are just making fools out of customers now. I used to like Nvidia and never was fan of intel because i know what AMD delivers intel fails on it. Nvidia was my top list but now it's on bottom, there are numerous reason which is not known to public but ye they both Intel and nVidia are doing dirty marketing tricks.
  14. Smudge202

Also in this thread, you can skip the trolls, and get some useful AMD driver information.

Thank you OP.
  15. PharmD

^^AMD is good if you're on a budget. One of the things I love about them is that they usually stick to the same motherboard for many, many years. I bought an intel 1366 mother board+an i7920 back in 09, few months later the entire platform was obsolete. If you buy an amd3+ mainboard now, you're likely still be able to use it for the latest and greatest amd cpu 3 years from now. But, playing devils advocate, my 2009 i7920@4ghz is still just as good if not better than amd's current bulldozer platform from 2012, so did I even need to upgrade my mainboard to get ahead of the game? Not really.
  16. EwAB

That is very inaccurate of you, maybe its time you pulled your head out of your *** and took a closer look at reality. No PC enthusiast would buy an AMD cpu atm. they just are not good enough. Graphics is more a taste thing but nvidia fixed microstuttering where AMD did not.

You should really start learning something about PCs and hardware before you post.
  17. Dankshasta

Exactly. I'm neither companies fanboy, but let's face it; At any clockspeed, and especially at any wattage, Ivybridge, and even Sandybridge completely smokes AMD. I still like the GPUs, though. It's actually bad for PC users how dominate Intel is, atm. They have little incentive to push the technology further since the AMD's brief hey day of Athlon 64s, and Athlon x2s. Intel is just sitting at idle right now.

Edit- I thought those drivers were only upgrades for 7xxxx series? I have x2 HD 6870s in Crossfire, I wonder if i should try them out?
  18. dracotonisamond

these drivers made my 2nd screen corrupt when in game and corrupts the game for about 5 minutes after starting it up, but did deliver higher fps.
  19. YeOldeSammich

AMD CPUs aren't worth it these days. The price you pay for performance just doesn't match up to Intel. You'd quite literally be gimping yourself as well as throwing money away. Now when it comes to GPu's I've heard its a different story..
  20. Smudge202

What doe this mean?

Corrupt is a term I'd use for a file with missing/scrambled bytes and therefore no longer being accessible/usable, not sure what it means when talking about monitors...?