Unplayable lag. Yes LAG, internet lag, server lag. Latency.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Baleur, Nov 21, 2012.

1. slikts

I'm a n**b in networking matters, but I ran Wireshark while playing on Miller, and the server's IP was 195.33.132.168, which belongs to an address block owned by Sony (based on whois db). I then ran mtr(1) to look if there's any packet loss along the route, but there's been 0/400 packets lost for all hops. I could still see some lag ingame, but it was milder than earlier, probably on account of the server population going down this late at night.
    • Up x 2
  2. BenjC

It doesn't seem to bad at the moment (I'd guess due to the lower player numbers at this time of night). I can assure you that the videos in this thread are an accurate reflection of what it was like, and there was a huge amount of in-game chat about how bad it was.
    • Up x 1
  3. ChipMHazard

Ah, good. So that's cleared up now:D
    • Up x 1
  4. ridfrenzy

Why don't you just log on to the server yourself and see what is happening, doing this will show you it is nothing to do with location or the ISP of the users. This thread alone has multiple people in multiple countries that cannot possibly be on the same ISP.

Also many users including myself have created a second character and gone and checked out the other servers which show no lag at all, even the US ones are outperforming miller currently.

I cannot possibly see how several hours into this problem with hundreds of users affected we are still at the stage of checking out if it could be something other than the server or its network connection!

Maybe you could also answer if we can get our characters moved to a different server as many have now expressed concerns about the performance in the future, if we move to a new server we will lose all the cert points we have so far gained but also the Station Cash that we have used to unlock weapons.
    • Up x 1
  5. Fleabag

Nice, I'm saving that IP to trace-route for future. Thanks. :) At least till they give us that in game ping/packet loss meter we thought we might be getting.
    • Up x 1
  6. UltraSexInferno

On miller same problem
    • Up x 1
  7. Smed SOE President

We're looking into this. I personally logged into Miller and it's ok right now. We'll look further. We keep constant track of server side statistics - basically on the server side what causes warping is low frame rates on the server. They are screaming along. It's also possible that there were network issues. We're looking closer into that.

I don't want anyone thinking we aren't taking it seriously. We are. But if there were server issues, when we log on we would for sure see them. So it could be network.. it could be only some users. We need to check

We'll keep you posted if we find anything out. Please keep reporting this issue if you see it.

thanks

Smed
    • Up x 1
  8. Silus

I just hope they find a way to deal with the lag. All I have running in the background is Steam, graphics are at Low across the board and I'm still lagging to obscene levels.
    • Up x 1
  9. Fleabag

Europeans 1 Antipodeans 0! :eek:

Unless Smed' goes and posts in the Ozzie server thread as well. ;)

In EU Prime time it was 'orridly 'ellish for a lot of us (perhaps not everyone but there was more Warp Factor than an episode of Star-Trek on my screen for certain). It was affecting all sorts as has been said, massive chat/squad invite delay, warping, lag spikes (that resulted in freezes for me personally). It was for some reason less bad on Amerish, than on Indar and Esamir for me.

And with that oddly constructive last bit of feedback (it's the Smed effect) I'm off. :eek:
    • Up x 1
  10. Vortigon

Well of course its ok now!! it's after midnight!! come on now....

Where were you 2 - 3 hours ago when the server was literally unplayable due to warping issues for many hours!!??

No point coming along at midnight - logging in and saying "everything looks fine to me" of course it is everyone is in bed !!! the server is not under the same stress it was when everyone was having the issues!!

of course you know this and in your position you really should have an understanding of what peak server load will do to a poor server configuration....and how those very same issues are masked by low server load, we are not fools.

Your post is nothing but dismissing the very real experiences everyone on the server was having - if in doubt pull the logs and you will see the problems.
    • Up x 2
  11. sneakbyte

The best time to test server lag is primetime Friday, Saturday and Sunday in America. Same goes for Europe when Germany and UK are on primetime for EU servers.
    • Up x 1
  12. Bauhaus

As ppl said, ofc it's ok now that it's after midnight in Europe.... DUH

A few hours ago **during peak time** the server was unplayable. And it was not some users. We were whole platoons from all over europe spamming chat about it or /yell the whole region reporting uplaybility. I was in skype with friends playing PS2 from all over Europe and we all quit. We are not kids ffs, we play online games for 15+ years, we know when the server has problems. Some of us have been playing games far more than you ever had / will ever be ffs. Server sucked. Period.

I'm just glad I didn't spend any money in a European server yet. Maybe we should all just create our chars in US servers.
    • Up x 3
  13. Con411

Good, we are happy you will. This is not your fault of course and we appreciate the effort you are putting in making the corporate suits aware of these issues. However we as european customers saw these kinds of problems coming. Do you remember what happened when the official announcement was made that Pro sieben would partner up with SOE to host a number of their games ? Within days there was an over 100 pages long thread of people who would cancel their accounts with SOE if they would be handed over to Pro sieben. There was a reason why the reacting of this community was so strong and part of those reasons are already manifesting themselves. I hope SOE has a stick behind the door or I for one will be asking to have my account and the station cash i spent on it transferred to one of the US servers.
    • Up x 1
  14. Lordtrenchard

Absolutely Speechless............No Comment.....
    • Up x 1
  15. Silus

Won't help buddy. On a US West server, graphics as low as you can get them and I'm bouncing between 1-9 FPS.
    • Up x 1
  16. Con411

Ofcourse its ok right now smed, at the time you posted this it was 1.30 am on a weekday, no thanksgiving here, remember ? You should try around 8 or 9 in the evening on a friday or saturday night. Or no, skip the weekend part, just try it on a weekday around European prime time.
    • Up x 2
  17. Dubious

Thats your PC...
    • Up x 1
  18. Silus

True. Just saying that US servers aren't any better.
    • Up x 1
  19. Sworaven

Do the US servers have problems like excessive lag that affects the majority of the server-population, or being unable to log in?
    • Up x 1
  20. Zaphide

Your "1-9" FPS has nothing to do with the server geographical location...
    • Up x 1