[Suggestion] Bring back vehicle cooldowns.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liewec123, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Liewec123

very simple suggestion,
    ASP and outfit modules have made vehicle costs trivial,
    construction bases even remove these costs entirely and let you chain pull vehicles for practically nothing
    (a tiny bit of cortium)

it is never fun when you FINALLY kill that A2G spamming *****, only for him to fly right back and start all over.
    killing a vehicle should mean something, it should remove that vehicle from the battlefield for a period of time.

so i propose we see the return of vehicle cooldowns.
    each vehicle should get a cooldown:
    1 minute: Flash, Javelin, Sunderer. (sunderers are the lifeblood of PS2, so they should be more readily useable.)
    3 minutes: Ant, Harasser, Valkyrie
    5 minutes: Lightning, ESF, Galaxy.
    7 Minutes: Liberator, MBT.
    • Up x 4
  2. RabidIBM

Rather than trying to make solutions to a needless problem, why not just remove the problem? Remove all forms of discounts so that all players are on a level playing field, including making PMBs still cost nanite for vehicles & aircraft, with the advantage being position.

Side note, if this were the case, then let heavy kit get drawn too. Let my PMB be a draw location for MBTs and Gals, but again, with nanite cost.
    • Up x 2
  3. Demigan

No, its counterproductive.

In the old days it was very easy for vehicle zergs to form. Lose the field once and your side cannot create a suitable vehicle force to counter it as everyone has a different cooldown due to when they pulled their vehicle/had them destroyed. All you do is reintroduce it.

Your example with the aircraft isnt about the aircraft returning quickly after its killed, its about the aircraft being unfun to fight or deal with. If its never fun to deal with you dont solve the problem by making it take longer before they return. The real solution is to make it fun. Give players enjoyable ways to avoid them, protect against them, attack them, deal with their attacks. Then it doesnt matter if aircraft show up.
  4. Liewec123

But they still do vehicle zerg demi, and it's worse than ever, and now if you take any of that vehicle zerg out
    it will be right back again because they can chain pull 225 nanite MBTs with no downtime.

THE BEST way to counter vehicle spam is with cooldowns.

Not really, I would be much less annoyed with the A2G crap if when I kill it, it stays dead for awhile.
    The ESF was just an example, the very same thing happens with pretty much any vehicle,
    On Cobalt we have a guy who spends 99% of his time hiding in his magrider ganking sunderers,
    He is VERY annoying, and if you kill his magrider he will just be right back with another.
    Watching out for his magrider is a full time job, and that is just freaking stupid, I'm playing to have fun,
    If i kill his magrider i should not need to worry about killing it again for awhile.
    there should be a cooldown before he can crutch on it again.

Vehicles should not be spammable like this, they are strong tools which should be given cooldowns appropriate to their power.
  5. Demigan

Not really. At best you might trade one type of vehicle zerg formation mechanic for another. Historically when the cooldown was removed and vehicles became cheaper and more accessible the amount of vehicle zergs dropped like a stone. Also the ASP’s and membership perks have been available for months if not years, the vehicle zergs becoming more rampant is caused by something else.

Vehicles should not BE much more powerful than other things, they always were too cheap for that if all you needed to do was wait a while and suddenly you can get a power increase by hitting a button somewhere. The solution as always is not to deny people from using it because you killed them but to make it fun and engaging to have them around.

Your system also helps foster more bad behavior. People won’t want to sacrifice their vehicle to achieve a goal as much if they are then locked out of said vehicle. Players will then play it safer and are more prone to farming.

There’s one reason to add your system: you kill a particular person and they can’t return as quickly. Everything else it does just makes the game worse. More vehicle zergs, more farming behaviour, less encouragement to risk your vehicle to reach objectives, less enjoyable fights overall.
  6. Liewec123

i didn't see that, nor would i have expected too,
    more spammable vehicles causing less vehicles? thats a contradiction.

GOOD! vehicles are powerful force multipliers and should be used as such, saved for the right moment,
    not just spammed willy-nilly just cos you can.

i don't see a solution there without making vehicles weak.
    in my eyes vehicles should be strong, but that strength should come with a limit to how much you can use it.
    strong but intermittent vehicles is much more fun than weak and spammable vehicles.
  7. Demigan

Thats not what I said. The more spammable vehicles made it easier to stand up against vehicle zergs and prevented them from happening.

You misunderstand, by making vehicles less spammable people will focus more on gameplay favorable to them and not fun to try and counter.

You dont need to make them weak, you just need to make it enjoyable for the opposition to deal with them. And adding a timer does not increase fun for either party in the long run as it increases Vehicle Zergs, bad gameplay habits and punishes players for taking risks or using vehicles to achieve goals other than farming.

Also there is a good argument to make for nanites destroy nanites. Giving infantry nanite costing equipment to deal with them. That can be lethal, non-lethal, it doesnt have to delete vehicles either since the weapons could also nerf vehicles they hit to give more time for infantry to damage and kill it before it just escapes or moves out of range. It solves the problem without needing to encourage bad gameplay or limiting vehicle players.