[Suggestion] "Gaining Ground" mission actively pulls you away from fights for 11+ minutes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fishbread, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Fishbread

Given it takes 20 seconds of sitting next to a control point to tick once, and you need 35 ticks, that's 11 minutes and 40 seconds of sitting next to a control point likely afk since base battles don't often take place directly on top of control points. Capturing a point does give you a few ticks in quick succession, but that opportunity is relatively infrequent, plus it takes time to travel from one base/point to another once the current one is captured, so you're usually better off sitting on one once you've captured it.

Honestly I don't mind a mission that changes the pace of the game, but 11.6 minutes plus travel is a long time to pointedly not fight in a game about fighting. Maybe increase the area that counts as contributing to base capture, or make it 10 seconds per tick instead of 20.
  2. JibbaJabba

Are you *positive* you have to sit on the control point? I complete this mission pretty regularly and I never stand around on a control point.
  3. Fishbread

The mission has two components, one of which is "earn capture contribution experience", which you get by being in the area around a control terminal. How do you complete that if you never stand around a control terminal?
  4. JibbaJabba

Truly don't know.

I accept that mission. I complete it. Pretty regularly.

I don't stay that the capture point beyond maybe the initial flipping of it. I earn a lot of points on the base and often am on the scoreboard?
  5. Fishbread

given how boring standing around the control point is, I've tested other methods, and I haven't found one that works, including being on the scoreboard with "lots of points". If you happen to know another way I'd like to hear it, but I'm pretty sure control terminal is the only way
  6. TR5L4Y3R

can confirm that at least by personal experience in order to finish that component i also have to often stand around for those XP ticks near a capturepoint, depending on the battle you just may not always get the chance to actively capture cappoints but sit arround for that guarding XP every 30 or so seconds
  7. Johannes Kaiser

Flipping the points also counts, so if you are in a fight where points change hands every minute or so, you will get this done pretty quickly.
    • Up x 1
  8. RRRIV

yup. this challange is literally PTFO. Also, staying on point is sometimes one of the best things you can do because LAs and Infils exist.
    Bonus: if the defenders are bring spawn room camped, doing this challenge is easy depending on the base.
    • Up x 1
  9. Fishbread

I do mention flipping the point in my first post, but that usually happens a few times at most in a battle, if you're lucky to get there alive and on time. Staying on point guarantees capture experience, and yes it's easy if you're with a zerg, but my point is that it's boring as hell.
  10. RabidIBM

The defense of a control point checks at a maximum rate of 20 seconds. As in, once you've collected that bonus it is a minimum of 20 seconds before you can collect it again. However, if you are fighting sort of close to a point, you can tag it every 30ish seconds and get 2 ticks per minute instead of 3 while still playing the game.