[Suggestion] So I've tried NSO, NC, TR again..

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Dec 19, 2022.

1. AntDX316

So I've tried NSO, NC, TR again and realized when you start without all your unlocks, the game kind of sucks. Sure there are people who can grind from level 1 without issue but grinding from the bottom totally sucks.

People have been talking on how to improve the game, keep player retention, get people to become members, etc. but we should address what it's like to start at level 1, at least for me.

I've been playing since Planetside 1, then 2 but mainly did A2G for the first years so I've generated a lot of certs to spend on everything else. Grinding back up from the bottom on everything makes me not want to play to be honest. When I fight VS in a low level NSO, TR, NC I don't feel like I have a maxed out VS Character. I feel what it's like to start from the bottom. The game feels quite complex with all the things to unlock and it costing so much instead of feeling attainable. I wish it was quicker to get unlocks by at least at a rate of 5x so the ability to unlock things on other factions feels desirable. If I had to start from the bottom I wouldn't even play as much despite all the action going on.

When I'm im Squads or a Platoon I see a lot of people aren't even a member. Maybe it would be better if the rate to unlock things were 10x faster and people who are members have extra tools/items/cosmetics/weapons/vehicles/aircraft to use than non-members? Having people grind out on something that feels like a pay-to-win on the very basics isn't healthy for the game's future players?

Addressing player retation for the veteran players is not going in the right direction. Development should be addressing the new players who don't have membership that should but I don't think I'm too good on the business model. If people level up high enough they can just pull their membership.

I want the game to succeed of course. The game can feel kind of hectic even for me. New players may get overwhelmed. It's kind of hard to breakdown what things should look like in the heat of a massive battle without someone guiding people through the process in real-time. It is easy to get s@#$ on even with the best gear and proper knowledge. Frustration can easily ensure for the new players I assume.

I still think narrowing the game down into certain things is what to do. Rather than it feel like a sandbox game, it should feel like the whole game is playing as engineer, as playing as a ghost infiltrator sniper, as a fighter pilot, as a combat surgeon, etc. It could be done in the UI somehow. It could cost a lot to make and a lot more deep thinking. I just think the game is quite overwhelming.

I do like the ability to do whatever but new players who probably know nothing other than using a gun like in Call of Duty or Counter Strike, they won't do too well. Some might not even know how to counter tanks and aircraft with AT and AA.

A lot of people who play the game probably came from other games that had all kinds of variety but new players might not and when they get s@#% on by people who are experienced in every area they might just quit and never log on again.

I'm not sure what I typed to be honest, hopefully it matters, somehow.

It's just bad when seeing new post about people questioning the games future, people not liking Oshur, etc. on this and on Reddit.
    • Up x 1
  2. JibbaJabba

So I kinda love starting a new character.

Default weapons.
    the thrill of getting those first simple unlocks... HVA or a grip or something. Your first medkit, or medtool upgrade.
    Fun stuff.

But yeah.. this is because I can crush the grind.

New players can't. And really for a TEN YEAR OLD GAME putting up big barries to the endgame content doesn't make a lot of sense.

It wouldn't benefit me really at all, but I would be in favor of just adding 50% more cert gain across the board. And take those level-up bonuses and increase those as well.

Let the new players get access to the content faster.
  3. AntDX316

In a way I want to try the new Call of Duty game. It seems lots of people can level easy in that but I have a lot invested into Planetside 2, with the outfit and all. If there was no Outfit.. I mean I might still play. Playing on TR, NSO, NC doesn't feel the same as it does on my VS main. Maybe because I know it more and people know me. I don't always like feeling like a nobody in the game especially with no unlocks.
  4. TR5L4Y3R

it doesn´t need higher certgain ... just adjust the main way xp is gained for everything with kills being a bonus
    anything combat related should give xp through damage dealt ... .. enemy infantry survives with 1 hp and gets away ... no problem you still get xp for the damage you dealt with the weapon/explosive you used on him ..

the other coreproblem to me is still the game isn´t well balanced between all platforms and that causes huge frustration ...

flying is still a PITA especialy for new players, G2A is a joke ... hesh tanks farm players behind contained walls ... of course there will be a point a player leaves the game for this kinda scrap ...
    • Up x 1
  5. JibbaJabba

That works well for vehicles where it can take half a squad to kill something.

For infantry you already get XP for assists and I think this scoring is fine.

Just a broad baseline percent increase to all XP gain I think would help new players reach content faster. Help retain new players, encourage veterans to start a new character.

Speaking of which: Part of an ASP unlock should be granting a BR20 character. That will very much encourage vets to continue to play and start new. And if vets do that there is an increased likelihood that they'll spend money on something. New cosmetic, XP boost, that fav gun they want right away, etc..

$$$
  6. RRRIV

We still need "assist as kill" xp and commendation progress tbh
    • Up x 2
  7. AntDX316

no assist as kills
  8. AntDX316

I think there has to be more "stripping" for non-members. Perhaps limit people to only 3 loadouts per class and less than half of what is available to use currently. Make certain implants membership only even though they have it unlocked, etc. There has to be a significant cert gain increase though imo, for everyone.

Maybe change it to where the cert gains are less but everything cost at least 75% less certs so things can feel attainable. Seeing 1000 certs is quite insane but indeed DBG can be used but the math just feels very unattainable.
  9. RRRIV

you say this then literally advocate for P2W while trying to sprinkle in "give more certs", smh.
  10. Demigan

Its not just the XP gain, its also directives. If you get assist XP now it means little more than a bit faster cert gain. However if it counted to a % of a kill then it would suddenly be much more viable. Instead of trying to get in the last shot because you HAVE to for the directive you are encouraged to do the most efficient thing, which could just be doing a lot of damage without resulting in a kill for you as long as someone else finished it off. Assist XP already seems well designed for this as well as you dont get assist XP for dealing 10% damage but need to deal a significant amount of the total health% to get assist XP. Assist XP is also given for that %, so if you did 70% damage you get 70% XP (times the current XP multipliers). This can literally be transferred to directives: you get 70% assist CP you get 70% of a kill awarded to directives.
    If only they would also count passenger kills among assist XP it would be perfect.
    • Up x 2
  11. AlesTwo

My friends and I just started PS2 a week ago, and I can't say that I am particularly turned off by the XP system, quite the opposite. It is a fair system to level up, I got my main weapon unlocked at day one, and everything else I wanted a few days later. Now a week into PS2 I am already wondering what to spend my cert points on. Sure there is a lot that I could max out, but I am not feeling like I am missing anything necessary to have fun in the game.

If you want to attract new players, then there is a much simpler change that you can do: remove headshots from all non-sniper weapons.

The TTK in PS2 is absurdly low, and the most frustrating experience in the game is to drop dead in .2 seconds every few seconds, because somehow everyone has godly aim and can hit your head with about every weapon at ridiculous distances. Almost half of my group of friends was ready to quit the game because of that, and certainly no one will spend any money on it as long as it is in that state. It's just not fun to watch the respawn screen more than you get to actually play.

Sure, with experience and skill and everything you eventually manage to adapt a little, and we mostly have some fun after this week, but generally speaking: the game would be much more fun if you didn't die so ridiculously fast all the time. And headshot removal would be a very easy and fair change, that could be done by the devs in a few minutes I guess.
  12. AntDX316

It would destroy the player kill value comparison history of how it already is but it could be quicker to get directives. It could then drive the need to use AOE weapons over actually getting kills which would destroy the game. It would be great for getting directives auraxed but it would just be better to have more certs.
  13. AntDX316

I've been saying how they should be tracking less stats such as it recording how many bullets you fired on every gun and how many times it hit but they don't remove it. Most likely headshots aren't going to be moreved too because there is a headshot ratio on the API sites.

A lot of people who game play strictly to be competitive and do things right such as knowing to play for headshots and nothing else. I'm sometimes usually in an aircraft or using vehicles, or at least before but now it's engineer and infiltrator. I hardly check to see how I've died but I do die a lot if I'm doing infantry only. I can do a 2 KD when I'm trying not to die but usually its like probably 1.2 or less.