[Suggestion] The lack of BFRs makes it not feel like a complete Planetside experience.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Nov 9, 2022.

1. AntDX316

The lack of BFRs makes it not feel like a complete Planetside experience.

Seeing some frightening big robots like Battlefield 2142 and Planetside 1 was cool. Nothing is OP in Planetside 2 as anything can be easily countered. The whole ground should shake a bit when they walk around. There should be new implants that work with and against BFRs such as making the camera move less.

Considering DBG owns Mechwarrior, it should be easy to make Mechwarrior stuff for this game. Mechwarrior battling in Planetside 2 would further make the experience better.
  2. BlackFox

*Cough* Tanks, Cloakers, aircrafts

Daybreak doesn't own Mechwarrior, Daybreak is owned by the same company that owns Piranha Games
    • Up x 1
  3. AntDX316

I mean EG7. I just want Mechs in the game.
    • Up x 1
  4. TR5L4Y3R

first off Battletech/Mechwarriors is owned by Microsoft, EG7/ Piranha Games are only allowed to use the licenses for a limited time, though that´s besides the point ...
    still doesn´t change the fact that AGAIN (because iirc you already made a thread on this) you DO NOT add content without a proper role or purpose other than for rule of cool ... I-V-A balance is still out of wack were i seriously doubt the upcoming PTS changes will have any significant impact ...
    • Up x 1
  5. TripSin

Are you not aware that BFRs are what KILLED Planetside 1???

Hello? wtf?
  6. AntDX316

Planetside 1 died most likely because of the hacking and they couldn't combat it. That's why they probably APIed every single thing so they can with evidence.
  7. BlackFox

I don't see the issue. one thing that kills Planetside 2 more or less doesn't make a difference now anyways
  8. JibbaJabba

If you really want that Planetside experience just go to the off continent or play off hours on Planetside 2.

Because that's what the experience was like after BFRs came out. The servers got empty because game balance was wrecked.
  9. JibbaJabba

No. BFRs cleared out the servers. It didn't outright kill the game but it never recovered.

They were OP. Mechs in a primarily infantry game. Whodathunk?

They then got "balanced" by making them harder to get so they would appear less often. So new players login, get massacred by these things and are like, "how can I get one?" and the answer is "you can't" so they quit.
    • Up x 1
  10. JibbaJabba

I believe in "once a cheater always a cheater". It's a moral state of mind.
    • Up x 1
  11. Demigan

"I am absolutely awesome at games but I cheated in some but not this honestly!"

Do you have any idea how that comes across?
  12. TripSin

I don't know about that my guy. I was literally there. I don't remember hacking being a significant issue, but I do remember BFRs being godawful and a lot of people, including myself, jumping ship after their introduction.
  13. AntDX316

Just make tanks and air to counter BFRs and they are going to run then die. BFRs would look amazing in Planetside 2.
  14. BengalTiger

Well if BFR's would be introduced in the form they were in PS1, they'd break game logic, not to mention game balance.

If they'd be logical and balanced, then they would be slow lumbering fortresses that would need support to function properly.

With this considered...
    Just grab a Colossus.

Very large.
    Very firepower.
    Very armor.

but also:
    Horrible off road, even though it has massive suspension. Ground pressure is a female dog.
    Clumsy and big and expensive. Pretty logical.
    Needs logistical support to function at its best.
    In other words, balanced and behaving like what would be expected of a vehicle that large.

Now to have actual mechs...
    I don't see why not, it's just that PS 2 we already have the big ground vehicle (see above).
    So where is there an opening, a niche for some sort of BFR?

Well, I'd argue that this walker would be maybe 2x the size of a MAX, like towering as tall as...
    well...
    ...an ANT, maybe a Sundy I guess.

I'll also consider this a single player vehicle, so literally an oversize MAX.

For firepower - I guess it could use weapons similar to secondaries on vehicles (including empire specific).
    Examples:
    Double Halberd for anti tank.
    A Walker and ground launched Tomcats for anti-air
    LOLpods and a C85 canister to counter infantry.
    Bulldog and Fury for general use, etc.
    Compared to current MAX this would be quite an upgrade. Compared to everything else, it would not be very OP.

For armor - I'd think it would fit to have this thing be about as armored as a tank. It would be sort of humanoid so it could use corners for cover like infantry. It would be able to crouch in open terrain to not stick out too much, so not be at disadvantage vs normal vehicles.

For mobility - welp, it's a walker, so it walks. I would see this be able to "cruise" as fast as a MAX would sprint. Some 25-35 km/h. But since it walks I think it would also be able to go wherever infantry can. Thus climb much steeper slopes than tanks could.
    Compared to current vehicles, it could take shortcuts over non-tank terrain, but lose out with them in open fields.

Its metagame would involve like slow and steady pushes rather than the maneuver warfare of actual MBT's. These would be far easier to go in and out of cover due to being able to walk around like infantry, they could duck behind cover and pop out to shoot, they'd have the durability of an MBT on top of that, and also flexibility of 2 different weapon mounts, like a MAX.
    I guess that being that they're actually smaller than tanks, a medium ANVIL would do for them.

Some sort of a flatbed Sundy truck would be cool to fit one in the back, like a Harasser could carry a normal MAX too, so their walking speed would not limit their strategic mobility too much.

This would about fit with the proportions of these, maybe slightly smaller:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  15. weska

Doubt X
    • Up x 2
  16. weska

Yea, seriously. Just ban this guys planetside 2 account.
  17. AntDX316

They should look like how they did in Planetside 1. It doesn't have to be newly thought out. They should just add weakpoints like they do on the Bastion that can do more damage but they should still be able to take damage but not as much if they got hit anywhere else. No doubt will still most likely die fast. It would be cool to have them in the game.

Your drawing are cool. The TR one should look more like the Planetside 1 one. The size and everything should be the same (scale). There is no need to further experiment.

There should be 3-4 gun selections though.
    -Anti-Infantry
    -Anti-Armor
    -Anti-Air
    -All 3

There can be extra implants and ability to select from.
    They should also be able to fly like in Planetside 1.

For low-pop balance, just like alerts, they shouldn't be allowed to be spawned? There still should be ways to kill it but I think even 3x harassers can be able to kill it fast. Even a couple air uncontested. The Colossus by itself isn't even that OP. I played the new Mechwarrior a bunch of times and the game play is like no other. It wouldu be cool to bring some of that into Planetside 2.

It seems like though the development went into reflection lightning for indoor and water and the change bases from control point timers to capture the flag.
  18. AntDX316

I never cheated once. You can see my character stats since day 1 on Planetside 2 and who are you lmao. You should be banned from responding to my post.

No one can prove anything I said was true but even if, I never hacked in Planetside 2 once or looked up hacks. I just want BFRs back.
  19. BengalTiger

That's a really cool idea.
    Then a deployed Colossus would be sort of a hard counter - it would just penetrate through like it does with the Bastion, scoring frontal hits that reach the rear side weakspot.

Now if the BFR could duck for cover, or walk sideways to hide behind something (like a MAX does) then it would still hold its own.
    So ducking behind an MBT for cover, and standing up to be able to shoot above it, kind of like what infantry would do using a small crate.
    Without such cover it would just be a big target, easier to hit than a tank, slower than a tank, etc...

It would have a much different style of gameplay than a tank, wheeled vehicle or any aircraft. It would have good ways to use it and bad ways to use it.
    That's kind of what we need to justify its existence.

Well I was more looking at the size, rather than the styling, when putting those concept arts up.

The TR BFR as was found in PS 2's abandoned building North of Howling Pass (now this is gone), was like waaaay too big...
    [IMG]
    This is like a 3 story building or so.

Yep.

I'm not saying to copy paste the existing weapons, but have something of similar capabilities.
    A dual Basilisk Sundy is 3 people. Those 3 people could bring 6 equivalent weapons if they went for dual setups.
    A Harasser with a Halberd takes 2 players. These 2 players would bring up to 4 such weapons in BFR's.

I think that's a lot of firepower.

Now mind you if this is an overgrown MAX then it should retain the each arm has its own weapon that you select. So that's a lot more flexibility than a normal tank too.

I always use the implant with mine detector and rangefinder when tanking. So yes please. Don't know what a mech commander might need, but as a tank commander some implants are just perfect.

We already have submarines that could fly in Oshur which just doesn't make sense and makes the Corsair and all tanks obsolete over the water areas.
    We don't need flying mechs, especially if they could walk over any terrain and be as tough as an MBT. Maybe the VS one could have like a Magburner, only for jumping up a few meters rather than for speed.

I'm looking forward for the graphics update. But yeah, mostly agree.

I don't think they should not be possible to spawn during low pop.
    I'd enjoy hunting them with a stealth Lightning, and the lower the population, the easier it is to be behind enemy lines without being noticed. Lightning's very low profile turret would be the absolute literal pain in the @$$ for these mechs, which would be towering at like 4-5 meters / 12-15 feet.
  20. MUTALISKUS

if you are ready to sponsor it with money, then write to the developers