Do all sniper rifles leave a bullet trail?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Nov 9, 2022.

1. AntDX316

Do all sniper rifles leave a 'bullet trail'?

It should be in the stats that it says something like Leaves a Bullet Trail.

I hate being counter sniped. Do scout rifles also leave a 'Bullet Trail' or some of them? Is it determined by 'Bullet Velocity'?
  2. Demigan

You really are a marvel.

Yes, all snipers leave a bullet trail. Its a development of somewhat 2 decades ago where developers realized that getting sniped without an idea where from was a major drag for most players who werent said sniper. So they added a trail to let players know:

- they are being shot at. Handy because not all games have clues that a shot passed you by.
    - where that shot might come from
    - what may have killed them.

As for the trails, you do realize that every single gun in the game leaves a trail? Those faction colored things (aside from NS guns)? You HAVE played the game before?
  3. AntDX316

I'm not on the recieving end of my guns so I'm not sure what gun trails more than others. It doesn't make sense to use a silencer then when the bullet velocity is significantly decreased and you are trying to be undetected super deep behind enemy lines trying to get a couple kills or even just one. I would rather run an A2G suicide Scythe at least get 1 kill before ejecting then hyper wipe with the Nyx Scout Rifle.

With my level of experience you should take what I say more seriously but if not, so what. I just want to know.

I'm saying you take a shot, then like seconds after the one you were shooting at that did not get hit looks Exactly where you shot from but you didn't shoot again for a few seconds. You can see them clearly because you are zoomed in and getting shot at back like they knew exactly where you were the whole time but you are far as **** no joke.
  4. Demigan

I dont take you that seriously as your "level of experience" doesnt matter, your capability and view of reality are more at stake.

In this case you pretend that if you shoot at someone and miss while in their view, they will take seconds to start returning fire. Assuming you did the barest minimum of "cloak and step left/right/back" after the shot this shouldnt be a problem. Even better: if they want to be accurate they would need to slow down, making them an easier target for a follow up shot. Something that someone of your experience should have no trouble with right? So there's no problem with that situation. Also if people already know your general whereabouts before you fire you must have picked one of the usual sniper spots, which brings its risk of "everyone knows the usual sniper spots".

Only lazy snipers sticks to one spot and then get countersniped. Actual experienced snipers who know what they are doing do this thing called "moving". Its an advanced technique where you use the WASD keys to "relocate" and make it harder to be countersniped, in fact it lets you spot and kill potential countersnipers and people trying to approach your previous position.

As for silencers on snipers. You may notice that they make you harder to spot on the radar for nearby enemies, so its use is to prevent most nearby enemies from spotting your exact position and only know that there's a sniper nearby, which for a cloaker should not be a big problem unless they stay in the same position all the time.
  5. Botji

The way I see it snipers that stay undetected either move a lot or are terrible at sniping.

Simply because the moment you kill someone they know where you are, so a undetected sniper is either not killing anyone.. or moving around.
  6. AntDX316

I understand relocating matters.. but I was just simply asking whether or not all snipers leave a long smoke trail. Some of the guns have tracers of course but disappear. They do not leave a long smoke trail that someone could look at and see where it came from immediately to press Q and mark you on the map as they get their light assault, sniper, or whatever to take you out.

I already have an auraxed V10 Sniper.

You and other people have this habit where if you dont know a super simple question you start tacking on lots of Other irrelevant information that most of which is already known

My question still needs to be answered.
  7. AntDX316

How do I get a forum signature like yours where it shows all the character stats?
  8. Botji

Like it says on the images or if you click on them it goes to a website, make an account and search for your character then you can 'claim' it as yours. After that they have some signature image feature where you pick between some images and it adds your stats to it and keeps it up to date so I dont have to go updating them myself.

For me at least there is some issue with selecting different characters in my profile so I suggest you add one character at a time and make their signature because depending on how they get listed in the profiles page you might have to 'release' a character just so one of the others becomes the primary one so you can add the signature to it... then add all the characters back again.

Its why I didnt bother adding my NSO character until it came into question if I actually had one.
    • Up x 1
  9. Demigan

You brought up some alternate points which I debunked and now I'm the one who "starts tacking stuff" to it?

And I obviously do know, you didnt.
  10. AntDX316

You don't know what I know and don't know and same with anyone to you. I'm probably more experienced and more qualified on many things you think you are to me. That isn't an issue but the issue is when other people believe you over me because you 'sound' better.
  11. Demigan

you quite literally tell us what you know all the time on these forums, and it's rarely much.

This is just another perfect example of your own knowledge. You don't even realise that you've been spouting your knowledge (or lack thereoff) all over the forums with every post you make and then try to say nobody knows what you know.

Also it doesn't matter how much more experienced you supposedly are if you don't even know how to use certain techniques like repositioning with an Infil. Sure you say afterwards that you know it and use it, but if you did you wouldn't be having the problem you are saying you have.
  12. weska

You should almost never be countersniped if you know how to snipe.

Step 1: only zoom in and aim when you are cloaked
    Step 2: when reloading, uncloak and run around in a random pattern. You can quite literally stand anywhere out in the open and the chances of you getting shot in the head from an enemy sniper like this is very small. I often do this in 96+ enemy fights defending a tower while standing on a tower launch pad. Its easy.

Bonus step: reposition after every shot and move a little from where you cloaked - if someone sees you cloak up and you didnt move, its not hard to shoot you in the head. Make sure you shoot AS FAST AS POSSIBLE when you unloak.

also upgrade your basic default cloak, its the best one to snipe with.

Doing this simple routine you will go days without ever being counter sniped, if not weeks or months. Sometimes, you will find an enemy sniper who does this same thing, and it forces a stale mate unless someone gets super lucky or other players intervene somehow.

source: [IMG]
  13. AntDX316

Did you even answer the smoke trail question? no. There is no need for you to try to flex with your irrelevant and false knowledge. No one cares. My question is still unanswered.
  14. jacksomjimmy

As for scout rifles, it depends on the game and its mechanics. Some scout rifles may also leave a bullet trail, while others might not. The presence of a bullet trail can indeed be influenced by factors such as "bullet velocity" in some games. Higher bullet velocities can reduce the visible trail or make it harder for opponents to notice it.